trouble after successful cp- greencard!!!

vanee1

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends,

I went to India for CP and got my green card along with my wife. And we came back to US in Atlanta and did all the formalities for the green card and were told that we will receive our cards in 4 to 6 weeks. And later after 10 days we received our welcome notice. And after two weeks we got mails from INS-Texas, which has my card in one of mail and in the other mail of my wives there was some bodies card kept in my wives paper work. And we got panicked and called the 1-800 number provided and spoke with an IO. And on her advice we returned the wrong card and waited for 4 to 5 weeks. And later we got a mail from Texas service center saying that we need to goto local INS office and file I-90 and I-89 with fee, saying that our card has stolen/lost. I really don't understand why we have to go through this procedure when there is no fault on our side.

Friends please advise me what to do. I feel we are in a big trouble. And is any one there in my situation??????

Thanks in advance for your reply!!!!!!

Raj.

I have a similar problem - I got my Card and 4 Welcome letters. But my wife who came along with me didn't get abything so far.
I am planning on calling them next week.
These guys do all kinds of funny(not so) stuff.

Do you have a copy of the other persons GreenCard?
If I were you - I will go to the local INS and explain the situation to them - they may help.

Atleast you have the option of filing for lost card.
You are better off than me as I dont know what is going on with my case.

BTW, my POE was also Atlanta.

In my opinion, it is NOT GOOD to file for a stolen/lost card.

This is something the CIS has goofed up and THEY need to sort this out. If they sent you some wrong person's papers, they have sent yours' wrongly to some other person.

And in case you file for the " our card has been stolen/lost", it would establish that you DID receive the card but you were careless. This is not the fact. And if you do this, then ALL responsibility is YOURS for the misdeed of the CIS. If I were you, I would not do this. Absolutely no point in taking the blame onto yourself and spending some money again and filling out more forms. And God forbid, if you make some mistake in the forms, then it should not so happen that CIS bites you and your GC gets into danger.you never know with these people!:rolleyes:

Since it is the CIS mistake, let them sort it out.Now that you have your GC, call them every week/2 weeks or better still, involve your attorney if you had one and if possible.

Write letters and mail thru certified mail and keep all such records.

Since your papers were sent to the wrong person, that other person also must be calling CIS. When he returns the papers wrongly sent to him and you return yours, the CIS will then be able to sort them out.

It may take time, but I am positive, that a little time and persistence will solve your problem.

raghudop & GCChaahiye thanks for your replies.

I spoke with my attorney and she tried to call then and get hold of some supervisor. But, she failed to get one and left so many messages and no replies from them. At last she got vexed and told me to go ahead with filing of I-90. Even she me told that filing is last option. But, I don't know what to do?

I have all the copies of the other persons GreenCard. And if I go to the local INS office and explain the situation, will it work or is it wasting of time. Because, I have to drive all the way for 3 to 31/2 hours for my local INS office.

Thanks,

I have all the copies of the other persons GreenCard

Any chance you know the phone number of such person?

If yes, then perhaps you can call and talk to him and see if the CIS has sent your papers to him! Just a chance.You never know.

Personally, I do not like the attitude of your attorney in asking you to file I-90 after making some calls and leaving messages.
Your attorney should know better that if CIS were to respond so fast, then there would be no backlog of applications!.I do not doubt your attorney, however, she might have called just a couple of times, if she really did.And she probably wants you breathing off her neck by asking you to file I-90.And make some more money!

You may check out the website of your local congressman/woman.
They usually list the name and phone number of the person in that office who deals with immigration cases.Ofcourse, they cannot influence the CIS, but they can atleast find out what is really happening.And these people are good. If you can call or meet such person and explain, they might be more than willing to help you.

I would say, leave filing I-90 till the very last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much GCChaahiye for your valuable advise!!!!

I have the following information of the other person:

1. A-number
2. Serial number i.e. starts with SRC--------.
3. Name
4. Date of birth

By using the above information how can I find out the other persons phone number and address. If you have any idea, please advise me, I will be very thankful to you.

One more concern. I got CIS-Texas address which is in Dallas. And my brother leaves in Dallas. My question is will they allow if my brother wants to follow-up the case in person. If so is there any procedure for this?

Thanks in advance for your reply!!!!!!

Thanks,

go to anywho.com and search - but you should also know the state.

BTW, do you hvae the 1-800 number to call texas service center - i need to call them to inquire about my wife's card.

Thanks,
RaghuDop

I called TSC and they told me that I am lucky to get the card quickly. They said that it takes almost a year to get the card.

The person i spoke to looks like she is new and doesn't know much. Anyway I will wait one more month and send a request to TSC through the form that was provided to us at the airport - which says - send this letter with questions if you dont receive your card in 60 days.

By using the above information how can I find out the other persons phone number and address. If you have any idea, please advise me, I will be very thankful to you.

You may also go to switchboard.com and search by the first name and last name. Search by giving the state which fall under the TSC.This will narrow down, but still the list may be large.

If you have any clue to the address of that other person, try to search.

However, there is no guarantee that that other person will appear in the above search.

Then start making calls and try to check if they have a pending GC card. MAKE SURE that you do not give out any of your personal details except for your phone number,if needed, and depending on how the other person responds(sober and polite or not).

It might also be a good idea to ask your brother to to go the local CIS office with the copies of the papers that you received and explain the situation to the officer there and hope he gets some positive response.It may be worth it as compared to calling CIS.

The central office(800 number) does not have any immigration people and they answer just general questions.Hence,there is no way that you can believe or rely on the information they give, if they do.

Keep us posted.

vanee1,

did u get a male or female's card - just want to check - may be by coincidence u got my wife's card - u never know with BCIS.

RaghuDop