Trip to Vancouver as a GC holder

hadron said:
Interesting. Someone asks an innocent question on border procedures, next thing there we have a full-fledged flame war.
Lot's of suppressed aggression around here.

(and no you dimwit, I neither get my news from the chinese goverment, nor do I read canadian papers.
The guy was indicted for a number of federal felonies and arraigned on the 14th. I am not sure what happened on the night in question, but apparently it was enough to convince a grand jury. )

One more person quoting events without substantiating it. Do we have a bunch of fiction writers on this board? Respect the uniform and stop spreading misinformation.

JoeF said:
Oh, our resident dimwit is at it again...
The guy who doesn't understand the English language, who makes a fool of himself for everybody to see, who spreads lies, and who only signed up on this board to spread his political propaganda...
Signing up on August 20 and immediately picking fights with everybody here...
I am sure that your lies and antics here lead to more losses of votes for Bush.
<sarcasm>Good work, Kerry supporter</sarcasm>

Self-description, JoeF my bud? :) :) :)

JoeF said:
Troll O Meter
JoeF, I would give him more than 1. About 4, maybe even 5 out of 10. 54 posts in two days? I would think that a board such as this one is immune to trolls, but no longer. Where is moderator when we need him?

What do you want ?
Do you want me to post the arraignment docket for 8/14/2004 ?

You can reach the court clerks office for the western district of NY federal court at 716 551 4211, they will tell you how to obtain that document if you want 'proof'.

Hey Guys,

Would appreciate if you get back to the original subject matter of this thread. Please do not waste time in pointless fighting, thanks.

In particular, I am interested in someone sharing his/her experience getting back to the US through land crossing-Vancouver as a GC holder.

Thanks again.

cgiz said:
Hey Guys,

Would appreciate if you get back to the original subject matter of this thread. Please do not waste time in pointless fighting, thanks.

In particular, I am interested in someone sharing his/her experience getting back to the US through land crossing-Vancouver as a GC holder.

Thanks again.

What do you want to know? cgiz?

Kerry Flip-flops,
Bush gets things done.

Vote Bush '04

I took my last trip from Seattle to Vancouver, B.C., by car in July 2004 (i.e. last month). I am a GC holder, so is my wife. We had no trouble at the border either way. At the U.S. POE, the officer looked at our GCs and passports, asked us a couple of questions like where we had been and how long the trip was, and waved us good-bye. The whole process took less than 5 minutes.

We have crossed the Blaine border with our GC's numerous times in the last couple of years. Never once have we gotten in any kind of trouble.

Thanks for your sharings.

-when passing the US POE, did the officier SWIPE your green card or not? Or just simply took a look at it. Was your passport stamped?
-when entering Canada, was your green card swiped through the Canadian immigration machine? It is expected that you surrender your GC to them, but you might not have noticed what they have done with it within their little booth. Did they look at your passport as well?

Thanks.

imminfo338 said:
-when passing the US POE, did the officier SWIPE your green card or not? Or just simply took a look at it. Was your passport stamped?
-when entering Canada, was your green card swiped through the Canadian immigration machine? It is expected that you surrender your GC to them, but you might not have noticed what they have done with it within their little booth. Did they look at your passport as well?
My own experience is that neither the U.S. nor the Canadian border has ever swiped my green card or passport. At the Canadian POE they often didn't even look at my GC/passport. What the Canadian border does is stamp your passport if it is more than half a year since your last visit to Canada.

Are you sure they didn't swip green card? One of my friend who just visit Vancouver by shuttle bus from Seattle had green card swiped at the POE by Canadian immigration, but no stamp was put on passport. Maybe the way they treat bus riders is different from those of driving private cars across.

I visited from Seattle with an American friend. He brought his passport. The interesting thing was that the Canadian immigration officer barely looked at our documents (seemed like it was less than 30 seconds). He asked how long we were planning to stay in Canada and if we had anything to sell. The American guy took a quick yet careful look at the FC and passport. I’ve heard that border control is more lax in Canda, but this may just be one case.

Rgds,
sadiq

Trip to Vancouver with GC

Seattle->Vancouver:
No problem at all. The inspector asked us if we had GCs. I said yes. She waved us through with a smile! Didn't ask to check any documents.

Canada->USA through Abbotsford/Sumas port of entry:
We were driving back from Banff and so this POE was closer than Vancouver for getting back to Seattle. The US inspector asked for GC. No problem there. But when asked about food items (for Customs), I said we had none. I had forgotten that we had a couple of pre-cooked [microwave ready] packages in the bag. Because of this, the inspector asked us to go for secondary inspection. After about 30 minutes during which all items were checked, we were waved through.

What I suggest is to get the Customs form (from their website) and make sure that you answer questions about each item in the form with 100% accuracy.