Travelling with I-551 stamp to China

i551china

Registered Users (C)
I have the I-551 stamp processed, pending I-751.

I was told by the new CIS that after they process my application, I will have to go in for the FINAL interview. Apparently and currently, they are still processing the FEB 2003 application. My application was submitted on April 2003 of last year. Looks like they will not get to my application until this May of 2004. It seems that the new CIS is a lot slower because of the September 11th thing.

I currently have a Chinese passport expiring in a few years.

My question is travelling out of the country to China. Do I need a Chinese VISA and anything else? What are the required documents to travel to China with an I-551 stamp.

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
The country of destination and your citizenship dictate what kind of travel document is required to enter that country. If you are a not a chinese citizen you will most likely need a visa to enter China. I-551 has nothing to do with china, it is useful only to enter United States.

thanks for your help nkm.

okay got it. being a Chinese Citizen, I don't need a VISA to enter China.

My other concern is leaving China again. What documentation do I need when leaving China again? Can I just use the I-551 stamp on my Chinese passport to leave the airport in Beijing, China? When I get to the US, I will also use the same I-551 stamp to enter the US?

Sorry, if these questions are simple and trivial. I'm just concern about not being able to return to the US.

thanks.

Originally posted by i551china
thanks for your help nkm.

okay got it. being a Chinese Citizen, I don't need a VISA to enter China.

My other concern is leaving China again. What documentation do I need when leaving China again? Can I just use the I-551 stamp on my Chinese passport to leave the airport in Beijing, China? When I get to the US, I will also use the same I-551 stamp to enter the US?

Sorry, if these questions are simple and trivial. I'm just concern about not being able to return to the US.

thanks.
You just need your passport with the I-551 stamp in it. It is well recognized at all major international airports as a valid entry document into US. FYI all airlines flying into US are required to verify visa/citizenship status of travellers going to US.

Use the citizens/permanent residents line at US immigration on arrival. Immigration officials will ask you a few questions about your status and the visit and you will be admitted soon afterwards.

another question.

nkm,

another question, probably irrelevant. My husband is a U.S. citizen (thru the Naturalization process). My Chinese passport has my maiden name. My U.S. driver license and marriage certificate have changed to my husband's lastname. Is there any issue with this in regards to travelling out of the U.S. and custom immigration checks?

I will be travelling with my husband and daughter. My daughter was recently born in the U.S. both of my husband and daughter have a U.S. passport.

thanks

You probably want to bring your original marriage certificate with you in case they question you about the name difference.

I had a trip a few months ago to China and came back with I-551 stamp. Overall no problem. However, I did have to go through a secondary inspection at the airport (NYC). Had to wait there for about two hours :-(