Travelling when H1B is expiring

pb74

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know if there is any time-limit for travelling abroad in case H1B is expiring? Do I have to go and come back to USA a year before H1B expires or is it 6 months or is there no such time frame?

Not really, but if you are planning on returning to the US shortly before the expiration of your current H-1B approval notice, it is a good idea to have a new approval notice or at least receipt notice with you, to indicate that you are still needing to return to the US to continue your employment in H-1B status. Some people have had issues when traveling without this supporting documentation and attempting to enter the US a few weeks to a month before their current H-1B expires.

Thanks for the response. Do you know, how early should I enter USA to avoid these problems? I am already on my renewed H1B and there can't be anymore renewals. But I can always carry my receipt.

There is no absolute in this, as it is looked at on a case by case basis. But I would not suggest making it too close. Perhaps no more than 3 weeks before the expiration of the current one, to be on the safe side.