Travelling to Canada on green card

shankyyy

Registered Users (C)
I have a need to go to Ontario, Canada. Do I need a visa or can I just show the green card and my indian passport and enter? What complications can I expect?
Thanks.

You do not need a visa. Showing your Green Card at the port of entry will suffice.If you are planning to stay away from the US for quite a longer period of time( more than a yr), make sure that you get a re entry permit ( to re-enter the US) before you travel to Canada. Otherwise, going with your Green Card is fine.

thx. that helps.

i am heading for a job interview (for a position in the US). it maybe via car or air. do i need to carry any other documents (interview invitation or something of that sort) or would just my travel itinerary be sufficient? can i tell the actual reason to the immigration officers in canada/US(upon reentry) without any issues.

i am also not sure whether to tell the lawyer in my current employer about my exiting the country (not disclosing the actual reason) since they did my gc - not sure whether employers need to be informed of foreign travel (for non-business reason)

Unless such a clause is stipulated in your employment contract, no need to inform your employer.

i am also not sure whether to tell the lawyer in my current employer about my exiting the country (not disclosing the actual reason) since they did my gc - not sure whether employers need to be informed of foreign travel (for non-business reason)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
I am not aware of any rules - i went to india last year without informing my employer.
Also, is the travel information entered in the passport (inbound)? Although there is a direct flight from columbus,oh to toronto, i have not seen any immigration counters at Columbus - I want to make sure they enter my return back to US, especially if the Canadian officials show entry in the passport.

Also, is the travel information entered in the passport (inbound)? Although there is a direct flight from columbus,oh to toronto, i have not seen any immigration counters at Columbus - I want to make sure they enter my return back to US, especially if the Canadian officials show entry in the passport.

Travel information is not necessarily recorded in a passport. Why do you care? It's not reliable anyways.

well...if the canadians in my passport, and the americans do not upon my return, it may appear that i have been out of the US and never returned back!. Since this is my first trip to canada, am trying to be cautious.

i am thinking of an option of flying to buffalo, and then drive through the border. i understand in this case, they may not ask for the passport.

Are you on call when on vacation? Will you be carrying company property outside the US, such as a cellphone or laptop or confidential documents? Will you be doing any form of business for the company when abroad? Is the company going to pick you up from the airport when you return?* Does your employment agreement require you to report foreign travel?

If you answered No to all of the above questions, there is no need to inform your employer of your departure from the US during vacation.

*I actually worked for a company which provided that benefit -- they'd send a driver to pick you up at the airport when you return from vacation, or if it was at odd hours you could take a cab and they'd reimburse you.

When you fly from a Canadian airport to the US, you go through a US pre-clearance facility on Canadian soil.

Although there is a direct flight from columbus,oh to toronto, i have not seen any immigration counters at Columbus - I want to make sure they enter my return back to US, especially if the Canadian officials show entry in the passport.

I entered Canada by car and reentered US without any issues. I had to show my interview papers on my way-in, and my GC on reentry. No entries made in PP on either side. I did get the job, and have accepted it. Now I have to travel back to Canada through that employer, and apparently I need a work permit. Any idea how long does the work permit take to come through?
Thanks for all your tips and help.