Travelling on AP to Canada

rajju

Registered Users (C)
Hi

How safe is it to travel to Canada using AP. I am planning to go there to apply for my PR card. Would coming back to USA cause me any problem as I have PR from Canada. What are the usual questions asked at the border when I show them my AP?

Please have your inputs on the above.

Thanks
Rajju

I went to Canada on 04-28-2003 and entered USA same day by car. I used AP to reenter. Before that I was on H-1 B.
The officer asked Q when did you go to Canada? A: today afternoon. Q: Why? A: for shopping. Where do you work.
I had taken only one AP document. BCIS had sent me 3 AP documents. The officer asked me that they need all three AP documents. I told him that I thought all three are for three multiple enteries and so I am carrying only one. Then he made three copies of AP after stamping. He gave me one with the stamp. My question to the forum gurus is that can I use the two remaining AP documents OR I have to apply for AP again?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your AP is multiple entry then you can use as many times as you like before the expiration time(usually one year). I never figure out why they send 3 copies. But I always take all three with me however, only the first one ever got stamps on...

L.

Thanks for your reply, but on my AP it is not mentioned it is multiple entry or single entry.

Hi gc949,

Did they not look into your passport. Did You go there for Canada PR Landing.

Please share the information. If you went for landing, what is the process in Canada CIC. Can we come back after we got PR stamping in the passport. Please share info.

Thanks

What did you fill in Part 7 of I-131 form ? Here is the sample:

Part 7. For how many trips do you intend to use this document? 1 trip More than 1 trip

In my case I filed for multiple entries and it was approved. I also got 3 copies of AP. I was told that one copy is for the home country where you are visiting, one for yourself and the last one for BCIS. But my home county did not keep the first copy. I presented the 3 original copies to BCIS when I landed here and She stamped on all three and kept one and returned two to me.

BCIS will re-stamp on the 2 APs next time and wont take any of the 2 APs. Hope this helps you

Hi Dear

Thank you for your reply. I recheked my APs and it does say that it is for multiple applications.

Reply to Smala's Question

I did not go for PR. I live in Detroit and I just went to Windsor for shopping. Also Canadian official did not look at my passport. He did not take my old I- 94 but I requested him t take because I wanted new I- 94.
While entering to the USA the BCIS officer looked at my pasort and asked me when did you go to Canada?

Hi gc949

What was the reason that you wanted new I-94 (I am just curious) ? Did they give you new I-94?

Here is my story about traveling to Canada for PR with AP.

I am a special person, so I had to go through with Special Registration before I should leave US.

I have a long story so I will try to use key point here.

Leaving US....
The office asked me about my current and old immigration status.
He asked me about my first AP which I was not carrying with me.
He also looked at my Canada Landing permit and got upset ..
He asked me that why do I have two status.. (One Canada PR and other for GC). According to him, one should only have one status (PR for either US or Canada)
Asked purpose of leaving (visiting canada) and then stamp (exit) my passport after taking finger prints and photograph.
Estimate time of interview (process) was about 30 to 40 minutes...

Entering into Canada...
Following questions were asked.
How long you were gone?
Do you have any items to declare?
Did you bought or did some one give you any thing as gift.
Estimate time of process: less then three minutes

Entering into US after Canada visit.
Where is your old I94? (was surrender when left US to US officer)
What is your status (showed him AP)
Country of origin?
How long have you been in US?
How long were you gone?
Special registration process was done again. All of those SR questions again.
Who do you work for?
Estimate processing time (without traffic just for interview): One hour.

parishan99,

Did you tell Canada people that you would be going back to USA. Did you take any permission to come back to Canada in future. I see in the ROLF document, if you are going abroad(I think USA in this case) you need to apply for parole to come back to Canada. Did you take sort of any thing like that. How long one can stay out of Canada with no problem to go back to Canada.

What documents did USA INS officer ask you to show while entering USA. What did you take with you.

Where did you enter Canada, Detroit or Buffalo.

Please share the information.

Any preacautions we need to take. Please share.

Thanks

Hi Dear

I wanted new I-94 because my h-b was expiring on 04-28-2003 and I went to Canada on 04-27-2003. I know that it is not necessary to have new I-94 as long as AOS is pending.

Dear Smala ..

I am not sure if this is correct forum to discuss the Canadian issues… You may want to hang around at following forum.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=50

Canadian officials were very nice and they did not ask me anything other then I have written in my previous message. I am not sure what is ROLF document, but everyone case and history is different. To my knowledge, a Canadian PR must be in the Canada for two years in last five years of period. In other words, a person could be out of Canada for three years in last five years of period to maintain his/her PR status.