Travelling a couple of days after oath ceremony.

GKER

Registered Users (C)
What happens if one needs to travel abroad a couple of days after the Oath ceremony? There is no chance that a US passport can be issued 2-3 days after the ceremony, so can one use the Naturalization certificate to re-enter the US?

Do we need to apply on the oath day?

Incorrect. You can get a US passport in 1 day itself.

Hi Triple citizen,

Do we have to apply for US passport on the day of oath? If so we have to carry the filled in application for the passport? What needs to be done if anyone wants the passport on the same day?. I would appreciate your response.

I am still in the initial review process. Today got an email saying that FP notice has been mailed.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Make an appointment at a passport agency; they can issue a same-day passport:.

Great, that is what I needed! So what happens there? Do I see someone there, or do I just turn up there with a form filled out and the airline ticket with me and get a passport in exchange? Will there be an interview?

.[/QUOTE]No, you cannot use the Naturalization Certificate for re-entry.[/QUOTE]

Even if I have a foreign passport?

Even if I have a foreign passport?

Even if you have 20 foreign passports. Once you become a U.S. citizen, you are required to use a U.S. passport when entering the U.S. Moreover, it will be illegal for you to seek admission to the U.S. using a foreign passport, in any non-immigrant or immigrant status.

When entering by land or sea, instead of a U.S. passport a U.S. citizen may use a U.S. passport card or an Enhanced Driver's License confirming U.S. citizenship. (Only four states - Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington - currently issue EDLs). When entering the U.S. by air, all U.S. citizens are required to have a valid U.S. passport.

Do we have to apply for US passport on the day of oath?

Err, are you for real??

Since you asked, here it goes: You must apply for a U.S. passport within 3 hours 47 minutes and 5 seconds of taking the naturalization oath. If you don't, they will immediately revoke your naturalization, confiscate all your property and deport you to Greenland. When applying for a U.S. passport in person, you will be required to go through a full body cavity search, to recite the names of all 50 state capitals in reverse alphabetical order, to provide a sample of hair of your maternal grandfather and a nail sample from your great uncle, twice removed.

Seriously: you can apply for a U.S. passport at any time after you become a U.S. citizen, be it one hour or one month or whatever after the naturalization oath.

You are obsessing about this issue way too prematurely, since you don't even have your naturalization interview date yet, leastways the date of the naturalization oath. If you really have a need to worry about something, worry about passing the naturalization interview smoothly.

Great, that is what I needed! So what happens there? Do I see someone there, or do I just turn up there with a form filled out and the airline ticket with me and get a passport in exchange?

You have to make an appointment, and you have to show up at the passport agency in the morning if you want the passport the same day -- it takes a number of hours to do the required processing and issue the passport. So a same-day passport is probably not feasible on oath day unless you have a very early oath.

Great, that is what I needed! So what happens there? Do I see someone there, or do I just turn up there with a form filled out and the airline ticket with me and get a passport in exchange? Will there be an interview?

No, you cannot use the Naturalization Certificate for re-entry.[/QUOTE]

Even if I have a foreign passport?[/QUOTE]

Hi Everyone: Following this thread after a few years. Hoping from some help from the community here.
I am in a similar situation where I need the US passport within 24 hours of oath with an impending priority travel outside of US, after 2 days of the oath. To get the same day passport at the Agency, what all documents do we need as a proof of photo id- i am specifically wondering if we also need the drivers licence because that itself would take a day for a new one to make?

I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

Why do you need to apply for a new driving licence? You need not change it once you naturalise - it has nothing to do with your immigration status. Check the passport agency website for the one you will visit for the required documents. You can only make an appointment two weeks in advance, I think, so as soon as your oath date, or the day after, is inside that window, make an appointment. If none are available, you can also just show up. They will likely let you in with proof of travel.

I should also mention that you must be let in without a US passport if you are a US citizen, but it will be a huge hassle, and they could fine you. I would avoid it, unless I were white.

i am in the same situation. trying to make appointment to passport agency, but not available .what to do? oath ceremony is at Friday and I am leaving Monday . pls help