Travelled to Asylum Office to pick up decision: No decision, no information - Please help

Ms.A

Registered Users (C)
The AO told me to pick up my decision on a particular day and time. I travelled there and they told me: didn't anyone call you? Someone should have called you, there is no decision on your case. There is no information about when there will be a decision. It will be mailed to you.

Did this happen to anyone else? Please help.

Aug 2013 Applicaiton received
Oct 2013 Interview conducted
Oct 2013 Pick up decision at Asylum Office : No decision, no information

The AO told me to pick up my decision on a particular day and time. I travelled there and they told me: didn't anyone call you? Someone should have called you, there is no decision on your case. There is no information about when there will be a decision. It will be mailed to you.

Did this happen to anyone else? Please help.

Aug 2013 Applicaiton received
Oct 2013 Interview conducted
Oct 2013 Pick up decision at Asylum Office : No decision, no information

I spent approximately one year and over waiting to get interviewed

I once inquired about my case I realized there are cases that are 7- 8 years old and with the latest backlog and broken system I could advise you to be realistic with the current situation

Prepare to get patient and pray that you get lucky. Each case is very unique ,If you are away from asylum office zip code you should wait for 180 days and apply for work permit, wait between 30-90 days to wait for Work permit to come while waiting for the decision to come ,wait again another 10days after getting work permit to apply Social Security number minewhile apply for a job and wait....... one day the approval will come it may be years or months later but who knows ?

Usually they call you one day before! As I know if you are in status they will mail the answer and if you are currently out of status they have you pick up the answer at the office!
Are you out of status? I mean is your previous visa still valid?
And just for my curiosity what is your office?

Frequently thattoc

Hi April, I am in status. And I am a student so it is for 'duration of stay'. But I need to graduate soon, so I will fall out of status possibly.

Nobody called me. I stressed, lost sleep and drove total of 2.5 hours only to return with nothing. I guess it is better than getting denied, but I don't understand why they didn't tell me or give me any explanation.

By the way, it is impossible to read the Captcha codes!!!!! I keep hitting refresh but each one is worse!

Get ready to test your patience now. If they said they will mail you, then it will be for a while. If you received nothing with 3-4 weeks then chances are high that you are through. Most of the time, they wait until you are out of status to send the decision.
So, its up to you to take the chance. In my case, I am waiting for more than 6 months since interview and almost a year after applying. So, finish you school, get your degree, get you ead after 180 days and start making your career while waiting for the decision. Don't let the decision hold you.

Hi April, I am in status. And I am a student so it is for 'duration of stay'. But I need to graduate soon, so I will fall out of status possibly.

Nobody called me. I stressed, lost sleep and drove total of 2.5 hours only to return with nothing. I guess it is better than getting denied, but I don't understand why they didn't tell me or give me any explanation.

By the way, it is impossible to read the Captcha codes!!!!! I keep hitting refresh but each one is worse!

There is nothing to be worry about! Your process has been so fast! In just 2 months you've got your interview! You are so lucky!
I wait 7 months for interview and know so many people whom have not received their interview after almost a year!
You already passed the most important part of your immigration journey and you will get your approval soon In your mailbox!

Decision not ready

Same with me,

I am on F1 student visa in San Francisco.

Application filed in Aug 2013
Interview in Oct 2013
Pick up in Oct 2013.....Decision not ready.

The office did not call me/inform me about the decision delay. What is the major reason they delay the decision????

I know getting an interview sounds 'lucky' but it really doesn't mean much since I am stuck in the same system as the people that didn't get an interview. I was told to pick up a decision in 2 weeks, and had that been correct, yes I would have been lucky. But when I went there, they said they had nothing, and that they don't know when they will have something, and they don't know why they don't have something. I don't understand how that's lucky.

I also want to know why they didn't/couldn't give me a decision (and why they didn't notify me in advance so I was left afraid and confused as they were 'explaining' to me that they had nothing to explain.

I don't know what to do now. Due to other restrictions I have, I am unable to adjust status in any other way (marriage , work etc does not apply to me).

Some people say they wait until I fall out of status, how can they know when I will fall out of status if my status is for 'Duration of Stay'? I am an F-1, my visa already expired, but I am in status since I haven't graduated. How do they know when I will graduate?

ayan, can you please keep me updated with what happens with you? I am starting to think they do indeed delay because we are in status. People that are not in status or illegal get priority. Even though we are in different Asylum Offices (Mine is NY) let's please keep each other updated?

What did they tell you when they couldn't give you anything?

decision in 2 weeks is very rare

Actually asylum office also wants to get rid of workload, but I have no idea what actually causes delays. As US system is based on irresponsibility then I can conclude that it mainly depends on officers indifferent attitude, "I don't care" principle which means, I don't mind if your asylum case is pending for years, there is no one in the office to hold me accountable because there are asylum cases from even 90th, no one will cut my salary, no one will fire me because of this" I feel this is one of the main reasons. Could be other reasons but this is I think proven.

I spent approximately one year and over waiting to get interviewed

I once inquired about my case I realized there are cases that are 7- 8 years old and with the latest backlog and broken system I could advise you to be realistic with the current situation

Prepare to get patient and pray that you get lucky. Each case is very unique ,If you are away from asylum office zip code you should wait for 180 days and apply for work permit, wait between 30-90 days to wait for Work permit to come while waiting for the decision to come ,wait again another 10days after getting work permit to apply Social Security number minewhile apply for a job and wait....... one day the approval will come it may be years or months later but who knows ?

I applied 6 years later after I entered the country, waited for over a year for interview, interviwed two weeks ago and got decision two days ago..Granted!

I applied 6 years later after I entered the country, waited for over a year for interview, interviwed two weeks ago and got decision two days ago..Granted!

Congratulations for your success :)
May I know,
where/which office conduct the interview for you?
and may I know how long did it take from the day you apply your initial EAD until you got your initial EAD in your hand?

Thank You

Congratulations! Very good news!!! I am very happy for you. If I may ask, where are you from? Normally it's hard to get approval for those, who staid more then a year in USA without applying. Probably your country counditions changed a lot. Am I right?

ayan, can you please keep me updated with what happens with you? I am starting to think they do indeed delay because we are in status. People that are not in status or illegal get priority. Even though we are in different Asylum Offices (Mine is NY) let's please keep each other updated?

What did they tell you when they couldn't give you anything?
I am replying to your post after 22 months... so so sorry about that. But its because I never received an alert for your post which is weird. Anyhow, have you received any decision yet? Yes, you were right, they do give priority to illegal immigrants. Share your update please!

my timeline:
Applied: Aug 2013
Interview:Oct 2013
2nd fingerprint request: August 2015
Still waiting for the decision. Will update you!!!