Traveling with two passports - new twist on the old question

Ther should be no consequences. However most people will avoid unnecessary confusion. Information should be on a need to know basis in my opinion.

If your home country allows dual citizenship and the USA "tolerates" it, then whats the big deal? For example, what if I walked to the TSA counter and/or airline and showed my two passports and said I was a dual citizen, what would the consequences, if any, be given both my countries tolerate dual citizenship?

I personally have never revealed upfront my multiple citizenships. I very strongly believe in sharing information on "a need to know" basis only. In fact I have made several trips where I left the US, showing my US passport to the airline agent, but actually entered countries in Europe/Asia using my Canadian one. Upon my return, CBP/ICE officers were never interested in finding out what passport I used to enter those countries. Had I ever been questioned, I would have then informed them about my other passports.

Was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced any negative consequences from revealing dual citizenship upfront.

Last edited by a moderator:
The US government doesn't really recognize dual citizenship per se. What they do is ignore it. They see you as a US citizen period, regardless of what other citizenships you have.

So when dealing with any US government agency you should behave as if you are a US citizen and nothing else, unless you are in a specific circumstance where you are required to reveal your other citizenship(s).

Here's a State Dept statement on dual citizenship:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Boiled down, the main points that are important to this question say:

1. US citizens must leave and enter the USA with US passports.
2. US citizens who are dual citizens may use their other nationality passport to enter that other country.
3. Use of other nationality passport does NOT endanger US citizenship.

You're welcome. Yeah, I would also take the "on the need to know" basis for revealing any alternate citizenship.