Traveling with 2 passports - plese help

sandra1980

Registered Users (C)
I hold 2 passports: US and and EU passport (I received my US passport about 2 years ago). I have to go to my birth country and stay there for about 8 months due to some family problems. I'd like to use my US passport to enter my birth country but after 3 months I have to apply for a visa to extend my stay and then I have to re-aply for a visa every 2 or 3 months. It's quite complicated and the visas are expensive.

If I enter my birth county with my EU passport and then come back to the States, the immigration officer will ask me where I've been for the past 8 months. If he or she will see no entry stamp or visa in my passport, won't that be a problem? I will obviously have to say, if asked, that I had to use my EU passport. Please help.... Has anyone entered his or her birth country not using the US passport? Is that allowed once we become American citizens?

Thank you very much.

You are worrying about nothing. Leave and enter the US with your US passport, and leave and enter your birth country with that passport. If anyone asks about immigration stamps, or about your other citizenship, just explain you are a dual citizen. UNLESS, the EU country you speak of forbids dual citizenship and you're trying to dodge this. Are you?

Oh no, no, my birth country accepts dual citizenship. I was just worried in regards to my US citizenship. Does the US recognize dual citizenship? Since I'll be in my country of birth for 8 months and since I'll be using the EU passport, I won't be having any stamps in the US passport (which will obviously indicate to the US immigration officer, upon my return to the States, that I've used my EU passport to get in and out of my birth country). I was thinking that might pose a problem when entering the US, as the immigration officer might ask me why haven't I used my US passport....

I've been to Europe without my passport being stamped there, so they do not always stamp passports. Do not worry. And, yes, the US will have no issues with you traveling on another passport as long as you do not try to enter the US with it. They probably won't even look through the passport for stamps. If they ask for any reason, tell them you are a dual citizen and you showed your other passport, but ONLY IF THEY ASK. Do not volunteer any information if it is not requested.

You can stay in your country of birth for as long as you want. Relax, and enjoy yourself.

There needs to be a sticky explaining that the USA allows dual, triple, quadruple, etc citizenships. All they care about is that a US citizen enter and exit the USA on a US passport. There are too many topics like this appearing quite often.

Well, one would think that before becoming a US citizen, one would check as to the ramifications and subsequently realise that the US does not bother about the other citizenships help.

The sticky should be about how one would go about traveling as a multi-citizen. It's definitely a good idea.