Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

I just flew back from my trip with RTD without GC.

Colombia
I got a Colombian tourist multi-visa in Los Angeles for 90 days. After sending the documents, I got an electronic visa in 5 days. Cost $69.31(application fee) + $101.42(visa) = $170.73

Brazil
I got a Brazilian tourist multi-visa in Bogota, Colombia consulate for 90 days. Making an appointment can take some time to wait. I had an appointment in 8 days to give documents in person. After 4 days, I got a visa. Cost $112.07.

Mexico
I got the Schengen tourist multi-visa at the French Consulate in San Paulo, Brazil for 30 days. Easy to make an appointment with no line. After 2 weeks, I got a visa. Cost $87.08 You can get to Mexico with a Schengen tourist multi visa if you don't have a GC.

...and information about Chile
Before leaving the US, I tried to get a tourist Visa at the Chilean Consulate in Los Angeles. After 6 months, I still got no response on my application. I tried to get a Chile Visa in San Paulo, Brazil but they told me about 3 months of processing time...

Last edited:

Colombia
I got a Colombian tourist multi-visa in Los Angeles for 90 days. After sending the documents, I got an electronic visa in 5 days. Cost $69.31(application fee) + $101.42(visa) = $170.73

Brazil
I got a Brazilian tourist multi-visa in Bogota, Colombia consulate for 90 days. Making an appointment can take some time to wait. I had an appointment in 8 days to give documents in person. After 4 days, I got a visa. Cost $112.07.

Mexico
I got the Schengen tourist multi-visa at the French Consulate in San Paulo, Brazil for 30 days. Easy to make an appointment with no line. After 2 weeks, I got a visa. Cost $87.08 You can get to Mexico with a Schengen tourist multi visa if you don't have a GC.

Before leaving the US, I tried to get a tourist Visa at the Chilean Consulate in Los Angeles. After 6 months, I still got no response on my application. I tried to get a Chile Visa in San Paulo, Brazil but they told me about 3 months of processing time...
Thank you for the information . Do you know if Colombia visa required if you have green card + RTD ? Because someone in this froum mentioned he went to Colombia with GC and RTD combo with no visa ? I ask because there is no information on their website and they don’t answer phone or email

Thank you for the information . Do you know if Colombia visa required if you have green card + RTD ? Because someone in this froum mentioned he went to Colombia with GC and RTD combo with no visa ? I ask because there is no information on their website and they don’t answer phone or email
NO VISA required if u have RTD and GC!!! my buddy just came from bagota and needed no visa as he has gc and rtd

Colombia

Brazil

Mexico

Thank you for your experience!
Moldova, Germany, Dominican Republic, Cyprus
Visa free countries that I visited without green card

NO VISA required if u have RTD and GC!!! my buddy just came from bagota and needed no visa as he has gc and rtd
Thank you for the information and confirmation, this is very helpful . Somone else has mentioned that too but his nationality was from South America . Even though he used travel document but for his country of origin was visa free so I was like maybe that took into consideration by Colombian officials and law

You don't need a visa to Colombia if:

Passengers with a US Travel Document (Form I-571) issued to refugees, born in Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Rep., Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland (Rep.), Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Isl., Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States), Moldova (Rep.), Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia (Rep.), Norway, Oman, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Samoa, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Isl., Spain, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkiye, USA, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vatican City (Holy See) and Venezuela for a maximum stay of 90 days.

You don't need a visa to Colombia if:

Passengers with a US Travel Document (Form I-571) issued to refugees, born in Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Rep., Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland (Rep.), Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Isl., Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States), Moldova (Rep.), Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia (Rep.), Norway, Oman, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Samoa, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Isl., Spain, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkiye, USA, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vatican City (Holy See) and Venezuela for a maximum stay of 90 days.
It doesn’t matter if you was born in any of these countries or no!!!!! If you have GC and valid US refugee travel document you don’t need visa to enter Colombia. Period

It doesn’t matter if you was born in any of these countries or no!!!!! If you have GC and valid US refugee travel document you don’t need visa to enter Colombia. Period
Interesting! In which country your buddy was born? It would be great to see any official proof. Otherwise, you can only rely on luck

Interesting! In which country your buddy was born? It would be great to see any official proof. Otherwise, you can only rely on luck
I have 2 friends who were born in countries different than the ones you mentioned and both of them been to Colombia 3-4 times with Green card and U.S refugee travel document and never had an issue!

Hi guys! Share your thoughts: a friend just traveled to Dominican Republic with his Green Card and Brazilian passport. He’s an Asylee. When he came back, he used his Green Card and Travel Document. US airport officer didn’t ask anything. He could be in trouble (in the future, when applying for citizenship?) What if you’re an asylee and enter the US with your passport and GC?

Hi everyone,
I have US refugee travel document with valid canada visa on it. My travel document is valid for 5 months now. Can i travel to Mexico for a week? I have checked Mexico government website it says there’s no requirement of having your travel document to be calid gor 6 months. It only needs to be valid for the duration of the trip. Does anyone have dny experience for traveling on document with less than 6 months validity?
How about united airlines? Do they accept travel document easily or give hard time?

Hi everyone,
I have US refugee travel document with valid canada visa on it. My travel document is valid for 5 months now. Can i travel to Mexico for a week? I have checked Mexico government website it says there’s no requirement of having your travel document to be calid gor 6 months. It only needs to be valid for the duration of the trip. Does anyone have dny experience for traveling on document with less than 6 months validity?
How about united airlines? Do they accept travel document easily or give hard time?
You need GC with the valid travel document to enter

That's interesting, I was just going to ask about Mexico. Timatic web tool used to show the green card requirement with RTD, but no longer does. However, Mexican embassy website still says RTD+GC. When I tried to email the embassy with this question, they just sent me an automated response with a link to their entry requirements, which I already saw. If anyone has any details about a recent experience with Mexico, it would be very much appreciated!