Travel while applying for citizenship

eddie_d

Registered Users (C)
So my 3 year GC anniversary is fast approaching. I'm debating whether to apply for citizenship or not. One of the things that I need to find out is travel restrictions (if any) while in the process of applying. I travel internationally for business, usually once, maybe twice a month. These are trips to Canada, Europe and S. America and between 2-7 days each.

I can't not travel for months on end while the citizenship application is being processed. If that's a requirement I won't bother.

Thanks for any replies.

Check out Atlanta timeline thread. It seems that your fingerprints will be taken about 1 month after filing and interview will come about 2 months after fingerprinting. While you can do "walk in" fingerprinting you cannot do "walk-in" interview. Once that is scheduled you should keep that date (you'll know it about 2 months earlier though).

Atlanta usually schedules same day oath unless your interview comes at a late hour. In that case you'll be scheduled for a few days later.

The problem starts when you take the oath - you'll then need to apply for a US passport - and that can take as short as 3 days or as long as 4 weeks (for "expedited" processing). So that time has the potential of grounding you for longer than a week.

You can travel-as long as you have someone to check your mail. I applied in March 3 and successfully completed interview Jun 3rd. Waiting for oath letter in the mail(per Obama's new order, I think everyone must get oath within 45 days of interview???)

Waiting for oath letter in the mail(per Obama's new order, I think everyone must get oath within 45 days of interview???)

There is no such Obama order. 45 days after is the amount of time Federal courts have authority to conduct a judicial oath after USCIS sends them the recommendation for approval.