Travel to Puerto Rico on AOS pending

GCQuestions2

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys,

I am currently on H-1B visa and am soon going to add myself to my wife's I-485 application. I am planning to quit work after that ( in June ) and then I will be on "Dependant I-485 pending" status (I think).

So, my question is that can I travel to Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Alaska and US Virgin Islands (planning a vacation!!!). I am fairly certain that I don't need to go through immigration (and hence don't need a valid visa stamp) to go to Alaska, but I am not sure about the other places. Can I travel to all these places without a valid visa in my passport.

I will appreciate if you guys can let me know.

Thanks

I did!

I just came back from San Juan, Puerto Rico and our immigration documents were checked upon boarding the airplane. (Flight San Juan - Houston)

It was just an IO that was standing at the door of the entrance of the tunnel to the airplane. He was dressing in blue and in his shoulder it said "Department of Homeland Security." He and another guy were asking every passenger entering the plane for proof of legal immigration document... they did not scan or check at their computer (remember they were just standing at the entrance) they wer asking to show them green cards or any type of work permit.

I am an asylee and I only took a copy of my asylum grant letter and a copy of my I-94. The officer read it in 2 seconds and asked it me if I had a GC I told him no... It is in process.. and he said ok... next...

I noticed that the other flight of Continental another two officer were standing at the door of the plane... and the same with the passenger of the american airlines...

There was a lady at front of us that only had a letter of adjustment of status and that was enough... they only read it for 1 second and they let her pass...

So I guess they are just starting to do so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Even there is not a must to carry a travel document to US territories you are leaving the so called "Continental US". Sometimes you can find DHS officers at the gate, especially on flights that are highly leasure type (like Hawaii and PR).

Last year when I called to the customer service about travel documents and PR travel, she recommended me that get a travel document even to go to US territories because you are leaving the "Continental US" and sometimes you never know when somebody will stop you and ask for your documents, which can happen.

If you read the instructions of the travel document is states that is to "reenter the United States" and "to travel abroad" it does not make any difference or specific issues if you are traveling to a place other than a US territory just "abroad". It is usual that for US territories directly from here you normally just need your driver's license or a goverment issue ID BUT...you never know.

Good luck,

Puerto Rico

When we went to Puerto Rico about 2 yrs ago, we already had our GC and my father just had a Visitor's visa - B1. When we were at the line to board the flight back to the US, the guy who checked us wasn't a DHS officer, but he wanted to look at all our PPs to make sure we had valid visa/GC. He just looked briefly at our GCs, but for my father he looked at the I-94, how long it's valid for etc and then let us go.

I too would like to know what's the deal with US virgin Islands - if we'll have a problem getting back to the US, if I took my mother there who has applied for AOS.

Thanks guys,

Is traveling to Alaska, the same as to PR and Hawaii.

Also, if I travel to PR or Hawaii, would the receipt notice of I-485 be enough or would I actually need AP.

Finally, would travelling to Alaska, Hawaii and PR while my AP is pending, cancel my AP application (I know that AP application is cancelled if a person travels abroad before the approval, but not sure if Alaska, PR and Hawaii considered Abroad)

Thanks again

Guys,
Do I need to carry my passport if I go to Alaska or is travelling to Alaska the same as traveling to any other US state (driving license is enough)

Thanks

GCQuestions2 said:
Guys,
Do I need to carry my passport if I go to Alaska or is travelling to Alaska the same as traveling to any other US state (driving license is enough)

Thanks

Are you taking one of the cruises to Alaska or flying directly there? A cruise can be a problem if you have some immigration issues as some stop in Canada. But either way, as of right now, you do not need a passport for Canada. And if directly back and forth from Alaska, you don't need anything other then ID for the airline.

sometime2006 said:
But either way, as of right now, you do not need a passport for Canada.

That is if you are a US Citizen. He would not only need a passport but also a visa for Canada (unless his country and Canada have a no-visa thing going).

I am planning to fly directly from here (Eastern USA) to Alaska, with no stops in Canada.

Would I need to carry my passport then? (I will have no valid visa or AP, just I-485 pending)

BTW, I am an Indian Citizen

GCQuestions2 said:
I am planning to fly directly from here (Eastern USA) to Alaska, with no stops in Canada.

Would I need to carry my passport then? (I will have no valid visa or AP, just I-485 pending)

BTW, I am an Indian Citizen

You don't need passport to fly to Alaska. I used to fly to Alaska from Seattle every week and all I need is just a standard doc when you travel such as your drivers license.

Enjoy Alaska. Its beautiful up there. :D