Travel restrictions while renewing a green card / applying for Citizenship

mungbeans

Hello, my wife and I have been resident in the US for 12 years and currently have green cards. Mine has a few months remaining until its end date, and my wife has one with several month remaining.

If I apply for Citizenship now and thus get an N-400 receipt with a 2 year extension to the green card, and my wife renews her green card (she prefers to renew rather than become a citizen) and she also gets a receipt for that application.

Then my question is: are there any travel restrictions that we should be mindful of while our applications are being processed?

Apart from traveling out of the country for a few weeks vacation, we are also considering doing some digital nomading and therefore maybe staying away for a longer period of time such as 2 or 3 months. Would that be fine to do while our applications are being processed?

Thank you

You should not be away long enough to interrupt your "continuous residence" for naturalization purposes, because then you would have to start over the 5-year period again. Normally, continuous residence is presumed to be interrupted for an absence of more than 6 months, though in the case of an absence of between 6 months and 1 year, it is possible to overcome the presumption with strong evidence of ties.

Hello, my wife and I have been resident in the US for 12 years and currently have green cards. Mine has a few months remaining until its end date, and my wife has one with several month remaining.

If I apply for Citizenship now and thus get an N-400 receipt with a 2 year extension to the green card, and my wife renews her green card (she prefers to renew rather than become a citizen) and she also gets a receipt for that application.

Then my question is: are there any travel restrictions that we should be mindful of while our applications are being processed?

Apart from traveling out of the country for a few weeks vacation, we are also considering doing some digital nomading and therefore maybe staying away for a longer period of time such as 2 or 3 months. Would that be fine to do while our applications are being processed?

Thank you
While your naturalization (N-400) application is pending and you've received a receipt, you'll have a one-year extension on your green card. This extension is commonly referred to as the "Form I-551, Alien Registration Receipt Card" or the "ADIT stamp." During this period, you should have the same rights, benefits, and responsibilities as a permanent resident.

Here are some considerations and recommendations:

1. Short Trips: Generally, short trips outside of the United States are not an issue. However, keep in mind that you should not stay outside of the U.S. for an extended period as this might raise questions about your continuous residence.
  2. Longer Trips or Digital Nomading: Extended trips or being away for 2-3 months may raise concerns about your continuous residence, especially if it becomes a pattern. Continuous residence is one of the eligibility requirements for naturalization. While short trips are generally acceptable, extended periods outside the U.S. could potentially affect your eligibility.
  3. Returning to the U.S.: Whenever you return to the U.S., you should be prepared to present your green card (or the one-year extension) and the N-400 receipt.
  4. Maintain Ties to the U.S.: It's important to maintain strong ties to the U.S. during any travels. This includes maintaining a residence, financial ties, and other connections that demonstrate your intent to make the U.S. your permanent home.
  5. Communication with USCIS: If you plan on being outside the U.S. for an extended period, it might be a good idea to inform USCIS in writing about your travel plans. This can be done through a letter or by updating your address online through the USCIS website.
I would recommend you to consult an immigration attorney like xxxxx xxx for advice that suits your specific situation. Professional guidance can help plans your tours that align with the requirements of maintaining continuous residence during the naturalization process

Last edited by a moderator: