Travel outside the US during N-400 process

tischB

Registered Users (C)
Can I travel outside the US for a week or two, when the N-400 application is pending ? Can I travel between my interview and oath/receiving the US passport? Thanks!

You can travel while your N-400 is pending and before oath. After oath and before getting passport you can not travel, because you should have passport to return to US.

If you travel between application and interview let the interviewing officer know about your travel so that your N-400 is updated accordingly during the interview.

If you travel between interview and oath, then there is a section at the back of the oath notice where you need to indicate that you traveled after the interview. You need to bring then both the notice and your passport to the ceremony.

Once you attend the oath you can leave/enter the US only with a US passport (your green card will be taken away at the ceremony). Hence, after the oath your primary goal will be to get your US passport. If you have immediate travel after the oath, there are passport agencies who can issue a same day or next day passport in case you can show proof of immediate travel and you pay the expedited passport fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, nwctzn and voldermarv.

If you travel between application and interview let the interviewing officer know about your travel so that your N-400 is updated accordingly during the interview.

If you travel between interview and oath, then there is a section at the back of the oath notice where you need to indicate that you traveled after the interview. You need to bring then both the notice and your passport to the ceremony.

Once you attend the oath you can leave/enter the US only with a US passport (your green card will be taken away at the ceremony). Hence, after the oath your primary goal will be to get your US passport. If you have immediate travel after the oath, there are passport agencies who can issue a same day or next day passport in case you can show proof of immediate travel and you pay the expedited passport fee.