• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Travel before getting green card

winnerof2011

Registered Users (C)
Hi team ,

I am a winner of 2011 DV lottery program and planing to reach US on Feb 2012 . My current job require traveling and hence just want to confirm , I am allowed to travel for a 1/2 week outside of United state before getting my green card.

I believe it might take more then 1 month for some to get green card posted in provided address.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Hi team ,

I am a winner of 2011 DV lottery program and planing to reach US on Feb 2012 . My current job require traveling and hence just want to confirm , I am allowed to travel for a 1/2 week outside of United state before getting my green card.

I believe it might take more then 1 month for some to get green card posted in provided address.

Any idea?

Thanks,

I am kind of confused with what exactly you are asking. Have you already gone to an interview? Are you planning on going to US in February? if yes, does that mean that you will need to go back home soon after arriving in US? Please rephrase your question.

I am kind of confused with what exactly you are asking. Have you already gone to an interview? Are you planning on going to US in February? if yes, does that mean that you will need to go back home soon after arriving in US? Please rephrase your question.

You are right, my DV visa is already stamp and need to reach US by end of feb 2012. hence I am flying there by 1 week of feb.

After reaching us , I might need to travel for short period of time and not sure whether I am able to do so before getting green card. As I heard green cards takes 3 week up to 6 week or even longer to reach to my address.

You are right, my DV visa is already stamp and need to reach US by end of feb 2012. hence I am flying there by 1 week of feb.

After reaching us , I might need to travel for short period of time and not sure whether I am able to do so before getting green card. As I heard green cards takes 3 week up to 6 week or even longer to reach to my address.

I think you can. I remember reading it somewhere on the Forum. They will stamp your passport with the entry stamp. But there is also mention of issues with Airlines not letting you board with only that stamp as they do not know about it. Better clear with your travel agent in advance. In all cases it is better to receive green card first.

I just spoke to one of my friend in US. According to him, I need to prepare for one travel document so that I can travel out from US before getting my GC.

I think you can. I remember reading it somewhere on the Forum. They will stamp your passport with the entry stamp. But there is also mention of issues with Airlines not letting you board with only that stamp as they do not know about it. Better clear with your travel agent in advance. In all cases it is better to receive green card first.

You are right. The stamp is valid for 1 year. However, I am not familiar with the issues with Airlines and etc.

take care

take care if you dont travel before the end of the year you will lose the Visa, this is the rules for the DV

Your visa if stamped work as green card for one year

good luck

The stamp you are thinking of is called an I 551 It acts like a green card for a year. Usually you get it when you arrive or you can go to the nearest USCIS office. To do so you make an info pass appointment
The words of the stamp are something like Processed for I551 Tempory evidence of Lawfull admission and there is a date written in somewhere. The site for infopass is https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_lang.php?sel_lang=en