travel back to Canada while on TN

lvx2011

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian working in US, I have 2 TNs, one is in the process of getting renewed through online filing, I received the I-797C Notice of Action form in June , status is pending. The other TN is currently effective. I will be traveling to Seattle next month and wanna to go to Vancouver for a visit by car, what do I need to do in relate to my TN ?
thanks

Oh, forgot to say, I am planning to rent a car in Seattle, and drive to Vancouver and back, is that OK ?
thanks

If you cross the border, the grace period is lost on the one that has expired, and you must either get a new one at the border or wait until it is approved (with an I-94 attached) to work again for that sponsor. For all practical purposes you should just get a new TN when you return to US.

Since you are a US resident, you can cross into Canada with a US rental.

Thanks, Nelsona, for the 2nd TN that is currently effective, do I need to do anything when I cross boarder, such as bring in an employment letter ?

I guess it would be good to carry somehing that shows that that job is still viable: recent paystub, company badge, or a letter.

If you cross the border, the grace period is lost on the one that has expired, and you must either get a new one at the border or wait until it is approved (with an I-94 attached) to work again for that sponsor. For all practical purposes you should just get a new TN when you return to US.

Since you are a US resident, you can cross into Canada with a US rental.

Hi, Nelson,
When I get the new TN on my way back to US, can I use the same employment letter dated on May 2009 which I used for online/mail renew ? or I need a new letter with the new date ? should I show them the I-797C notice of action letter as well for that TN application ?
thanks

CBP is not intersted in your pending I-129, so "no" to both questions. Your TN leter should be a more recently dated one.