travel and no job

Unemployment in and of itself is not a problem for naturalization. But traveling abroad for extended periods could affect your eligibility to continue to collect unemployment benefits, depending on the details of the laws of your state.

There's not any problem in filling out the N400, even after a recent trip, but just make sure that you have been living in the United States for at least 4 years and 9 months before sending the application. Also make sure that your trip is no longer 6 months long.

Hi all,

I am eligible to file N400 soon.
As I am unemployment for a while; could I take a long break to travel outside of USA (less than 6 months).

1: is it okay to be unemployment while filing N400?
2: travel for less than 6 months and apply n400 as soon as 90 days before?

Thank you,
LOOKLOOK

You have a VERY BAD PLAN.

An unemployed person who returns to their country of origin may be perceived as abandoning the U.S. How will you support yourself? Will you get a job abroad? You have mentioned nothing about family ties either in the U.S. or abroad. You have not mentioned anything about your other ties to the U.S.

Who are you kidding besides yourself with that line about "travel for less than 6 months"? And what is the rush to file as soon as "90 days before"? You are watching the clock too much.

You cannot just "put in the minimum" required time in the U.S., file an N-400 an "go home".

Spending 4-5 months in your original country right before applying for naturalization and/or during the naturalization process while having no US job creates the appearance that you're in the first stages of a permanent relocation and now you're just trying to get citizenship because it's your last chance to do so before you leave the US permanently.

If I were you I wouldn't immediately apply for naturalization after returning from that trip, I would wait in the US at least 3-4 months unless I got a US job. So by the time your interview occurs you would have spent 6+ months in the US after the end of that trip, which would avoid the impression that you're relocating abroad.