Travel after Dec 31st from USA to Canada in own car with IMM1000 and without PR card

ani70

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am a landed immigrant landed in Sept 2001 and within one month move back to USA.I already applied for PR card but won't be able to collect before Dec 31st bacause of my USA visa problem and my current project duration
Q1:Can I safely enter Canada in my own USA plated car even after Dec 31st without PR card showing IMM1000 doc before my 3/5 year absence period expires.

Q2:Is there any potential risk at POE if I reenter in June 2004(My 3/5 year absence rule will expire in Oct 2004)in my USA licence plated own car without PR card.During renentry I will be able to show my IMM 1000,SIN,Canadian Bank account info,CIC call letter pick up letter(I can pick up within 6 month after my actual pick up date)

Q3:I know at POE I could be detained for couple of hours and officer will check and calculate my absence but can they technically disallow my entry if I reenter in June 2004(considering I'd not violated any USA/Canadian immigration rule or commited any crime)

I checked CIC website in details and they mentioned PR card is required only for commercial carrier and after Dec 31st Travel doc is needed if you don't have a PR card and need to board into a commercial carrier
So logically you need a Travel Doc to board into a commercial carrier only and after that POE officers will determine one's status by calculating his/her leave of absence .So if you are travelling in your own car from USA you are not carrying a Travel Doc but followed under same calculation process by POE officers
Unfortunately in CIC website the instruction is like

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Can I use my IMM 1000 to travel to the US in my own car?

Yes.
As of December 31, 2003, the PR card will be required to re-enter Canada by commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus). This requirement does not apply if you are travelling by private vehicle. You should contact the US immigration services about their document requirements
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Per this instruction it seems CIC is expecting you to travel from Canada to USA and then reenter into Canada so definately that person will be travelling in his/her canadian licence plated car.
Unfortunately CIC is not talking about tarvel from USA to Canada in a USA licence plated car after Dec 31 showing IMM1000
I Will appreciate if anyone can provide me feed back (or confirming by calling up CIC call centre number 1-800-255-4541 if anyone is in Canada) regarding "tarvel from USA to Canada in a USA licence plated car after Dec 31 showing IMM1000 before one's 3/5 absence expires"
Regards

This doesn't make sense!

When the instructions about "re-entry" with Canadian plates is explained as above, they just don't sound right.

The reason the explanation above doesn't make sense is because if you are not allowed to re-enter with your own car, then you can enter on foot from the US by showing the IMM1000 document only. Then once you are in Canadian grounds you can apply for the PR card and once gotten, go back to the US and import the US car into Canada.

So in effect you are allowed to enter Canada without the PR card after Dec 31, 2003 (with US plates)!! So not allowing you in with US plates in June 2003 is not right (I think). You are allowed in I think.

I am in a similar situation and need to call them an verify any way.

Will contact you then..

For cligman

Hi Cligman,
I asked one of my friend in Toronto call CIC guys to check this and they confirmed if your car is admissable you can re enter Canada in your US plated car even after 31ST Dec 2003 showing your IMM1000 doc
Anyway I'll reconfirm this calling CIC in Detroit
Could you please also check up this and let me know these CIC guys are all confused guys..so just want to understand they are all answering in same line
Thanks

Thanks so much

Thanks for confirming that there are no problems when entering without PR card after Dec 31, 2003 (by one's own car with US plates). I will call the Consulate in Buffalo and double-check this. I will reply to you.

2nd Confirmation

I just called the immigration office to confirm and the answer was that you could re-enter by your own car after Dec 31, 2003 and be allowed into Canada WITHOUT trouble.

However, if you want to travel by a commercial carrier you MUST apply for a "Limited USE Travel" document.

To apply for the Limited Use Travel document, you should contact the Consulate General nearest to you.

And yes, you could legally submit your application for the PR card and leave canada. You must come back for the Declaration later on.

beyond 3 yrs/5 possible for PR status?

The law states if you work for a Canadian company abroad, then you might be allowed to maintain your PR residency even while abroad!!

What about home-based business for a Canadian company while I lived in the US!! My 3/5 will expire in May but I need to stay in the US until 2005 or until I graduate. So does any one have any suggestions to stay outside Canada beyond the 3 years?.

What about finding a job in Canada via http://www.interact2001.com/business-opportunity-home-based-work-from.shtml and staying in the US?

Many e-business companies asked me to pay a few hundred dollars in order to work for them and become a rich person -:) Do they work for immigration purposes?

Here is a good directory:http://www.workfromhome.ca
P.S. I like to work from home anyway.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: