1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.


Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by josh000, Apr 25, 2012.

  1. josh000

    josh000 Registered Users (C)

    What are peoples experiences with getting documents translated?

    Will any competent translator suffice? What must the statement from the translator state? Is there a template or examples available somewhere?

    I need to get a German police check certified within Canada and want to make sure I do this correctly.
  2. josh000

    josh000 Registered Users (C)

    bump.....what are peoples experiences with translating documents?
  3. Dv2012AFTAZ

    Dv2012AFTAZ Registered Users (C)

    Each embassy has a list of permitted translators. any translation needs to be done by an officially approved one.

    contact the embassy / consulate that will process you to ask about this.
  4. josh000

    josh000 Registered Users (C)

    Where did you get that from?

    The dvselectee page states:

    So I thought any translator is fine as long as the translation is certified? That is what I am unsure how to do...would the certifier need to speak the language?
  5. Sukie

    Sukie Registered Users (C)

    Official translators have certificates that can be copied and attached to your document.

    Josh: I know a good translator in Montreal. Let me know privately if you are interested.
  6. Abbie

    Abbie Registered Users (C)

    Common knowledge amongst those of us who have had documents translated.

    The USA consulate probably have a list of their certified English translators, just as the German consulate would have a list of their German translators. Of course it would depend what country they are in as to what language to English it would be. For instance the Italian consulate in Australia has English to Italian translators, but the Italian consulate in France would have a list of French to Italian translators. First thing would be to ask the USA consulate if they have a list, and then maybe ask the german consulate for a list.

    Well, that's what I would do. Translations can take a couple of weeks to get.
  7. josh000

    josh000 Registered Users (C)

    So, the embassy does not have a list of certified translators, I am responsible for finding my own translator.

    I've searched the forum -- there really is not a lot of info on this.

    Specifically, what does certified mean? Is a signed statement from a translator sufficient? Does a notary have to be involved?
  8. josh000

    josh000 Registered Users (C)

    For such an information why is there such a lack of info on this forum? Why is no one sharing their experiences or advice? Not just in my thread but....any thread.
  9. Abbie

    Abbie Registered Users (C)

  10. josh000

    josh000 Registered Users (C)

    Thanks Abbie. I still can't find answers to my 2 main issues

    Does certified simply mean a signed statement by the translator? No notary or anything required?

    Does the resultant translation have to have the same layout, or can it be in a different form? Can it be handwritten?
  11. Abbie

    Abbie Registered Users (C)

    Have you emailed your local consulate to ask them if the require the document notarized? As that above link discusses, only a handful of locations require a notary.
  12. josh000

    josh000 Registered Users (C)

    I emailed like 2 weeks ago, no response yet.

    OK, so if it does not need to be notarized....does the translation have to be formatted in the same way as the original?

    Can it be handwritten? There really isn't a lot of info on this anywhere
  13. Dv2012AFTAZ

    Dv2012AFTAZ Registered Users (C)

    As I mentioned before the US embassy at least in my country only accepts translations from certified Translators even within a translation firm there are only some translators who are certified which leads me to understand that it is on a person basis not a firm basis.
    With regards to the format it need not be the same as was in my case at least. And needs to be certified as true by the approved translator only.
    Yours is a unique circumstance I see you are in Canada and need a German Translation and at the same time have not received any information from the embassy in Canada right?
    I would suggest you contact / email the US Embassy in Germany to find out who is an authorized translator for German to English and move on those lines. It would put your mind at peace. Check their website it might even show there.
  14. josh000

    josh000 Registered Users (C)

    Hi Dv2012AFTAZ, thanks.

    It is just confusing because no where in the dv selectee instructions or on the embassy webpage does it say anything about an approved list of translators, only that the translation must be certified.

    It seems that certified simply means the translator signs a statement saying that they certify the translation is accurate, no notary or anything required. It would be nice if the dv selectee page was a little bit more comprehensive.

    As far as the format....my police check has a head an footer with lots of small text and then my details centered in the middle of the page. Would this have to be replicated in work, or could the translator simply translate without regard to formatting?

    And yes, in Canada and needing a german translator. I've actually found a translator just need to make sure I have all the requirements right before I go ahead
  15. vt2012

    vt2012 New Member

    "Certified" and "Notarized" translation of documents like birth certificate

    The translation of the birth certificate (or marriage or any other required document) should be done by a professional translator. The translation is accompanied with an endorsement certificate which states that the translation has been done by a professional translator who has thorough knowledge of both languages and is a true rendition of the original document. (This wording may change according to consulate's required format, but essence is same). The certificate has translator's signature with complete address. This certificate should be attached to the translation while submitting it for visa process. This is called as "certified translation" of the birth certificate.
    The translation should follow the layout of the original document as much as possible.

    If such translation is to be "notarized", then it should be done by an advocate who is in capacity of notarizing documents.

    So "certified translation" and "notarized translation" are different from each other.

    A translator can deliver you a notarized translation as well. (The translator gets it notarized from advocate and delivers to the client.) For notary, you may need to show the "original" (the original hard copy) document and not a copy or print out of the birth certificate.

    - VT ( a professional translator from Japanese, Marathi, Hindi to English)

Share This Page