Transit Visa through London for GC holder?

CAHope

Registered Users (C)
I’m from country that need visa if intend to enter UK as tourist, but I’m not sure for transit only.
As a green card holder, do I need visa or transit visa if I have connecting flight in London, UK?

I’m from country that need visa if intend to enter UK as tourist, but I’m not sure for transit only.
As a green card holder, do I need visa or transit visa if I have connecting flight in London, UK?

you just need a transit visa. They will stamp you at the london airport. 24 hours transit visa. When i was going to greece but had a stop over in london,the immigration just gave me a 24 hour transit visa ;)

you just need a transit visa. They will stamp you at the london airport. 24 hours transit visa. When i was going to greece but had a stop over in london,the immigration just gave me a 24 hour transit visa ;)

Thank you for your input. Are you from country that requires visa?

Depends on the flight you take - For example, Air India flights that originate in US and go to India don't usually allow passengers to disembark in Paris, and put passengers in a holding area in London. The Passegners are not allowed to get into the main terminal and I believe both these instances don't require passengers to have UK visa.

If you have to change the aircraft and sit in the transit lounge between flights one is required to have a visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
This mainly depends on the country of your present citizenship. Different country people with US GC can have different British transit visa requirements!

Check the British Embassy website, or call them. Call the airline too.

No visa required

If you have a new GC issued I think after 1998, you do not require a transit visa as long as you stay inside the airport and just changing planes at any of the major European countries like England, France, Germany, Switzerland etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've transited through London, and have not needed a transit visa. I am Indian, but I travel on an RTD.

I have traveled thru London many times and didn't need a transit visa when I was a green card holder. But you will need a transit visa if you commute between airports like Heathrow and Gatwick to change flights.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=125674

I found the following info in Britainusa.com for the requirement of a Transit visa:
You asked if a national of INDIA would require a visa to Transit the United Kingdom

YES - based upon the information provided, a visa WILL be required in this case unless you qualify under one the exemptions listed below.

Exemptions :

1. Holders of Valid U.S. or Canadian Visas who also hold a ticket to or from the US or Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US or Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa.

2. Holders of USA I-551 permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards) issued on or after 21 April 1998

3. Holders of Canadian Permanent Resident Cards issued on or after 28 June 2002

4. Holders of Valid Category D visas issued by EU/EEA member states, which are valid for more than 3 months

5. Holders of Commonwealth format EU Residence permits issued under Council Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002

6. Holders of diplomatic or official passports issued by the Peoples Republic of China

7. Holders of diplomatic of official passports issued by the Government of India

The preceeding categories of traveler are not required to hold a Direct airside transit visa and may still benefit from the Transit Without Visa Concession.

Also in another page it mentions the same in a more specific language -

US or Canadian visa

As long as the US visa in your passport is not expired you are
exempt from the Direct Airside Transit visa requirement.