Transit through Frankfurt with I-551 stamp

denman

Registered Users (C)
Has anybody travelled to India (from the USA) via Frankfurt with I-551 (GC approval) stamp on Indian passport? In past 1 or 2 months?

I have an Indian passport. My I-485 is approved, but I have not yet received the plastic card. I have my I-551 stamp on my passport (valid till June, 2005).

I got an e-mail from Germany consulate, Atlanta (in response to my query) saying that, if I have I-551 stamp on passport, I do not require a transit visa at Frankfurt. Other Germany consulates did not respond to my e-mail, but when I called them, they have contradictory view. The airlines (Lufthansa & United) are not very sure what they want. So will a print out of this e-mail from Atlanta consulate be good?

Any confirmation will be very helpful. I'll be travelling after 10 days. So will appreciate your fast response, if you have any knowledge/experience of this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Does anybody have any information on this

Does anybody have any information on this?

Thank you.

I would recommend going for the transit visa. We did apply for it today and will pick it up tomorrow.

No point in risking your travel for $13 visa....

HTH, Z

sub_labor, can you please confirm

sub_labor said:
I did just yesterday. No problems.

Hi Sub_labor.

Thanks for your response. I saw your replu in another thread too (transit through London). So a little confused. Can you please confirm the following:

* You travelled with 551 stamp on your passport (without plastic card) from US to India (and back) through Frankfurt. And you did not have to take transit visa for Germany, for your stop-over in Frankfurt. Is that right?

* Which airlines did you travel in?

* Was it a few hours stop at Frankfurt, where you came out of the plane (from India) and boarded another plane from Frankfurt to USA?

Please let me know. Thanks much in advance for your reply.

Best regards.

sub_labor, can you please reply

denman said:
Hi Sub_labor.

Thanks for your response. I saw your replu in another thread too (transit through London). So a little confused. Can you please confirm the following:

* You travelled with 551 stamp on your passport (without plastic card) from US to India (and back) through Frankfurt. And you did not have to take transit visa for Germany, for your stop-over in Frankfurt. Is that right?

* Which airlines did you travel in?

* Was it a few hours stop at Frankfurt, where you came out of the plane (from India) and boarded another plane from Frankfurt to USA?

Please let me know. Thanks much in advance for your reply.

Best regards.

sub_labor, can you please reply.
Thanks.

While going to India, I traveled on Continental Air lines up to London and Emirates Air lines from London.
On return trip from India, I traveled on Emirates Air lines up to Frankfurt and Delta Airlines from Frankfurt.

I did not take any transit visa for on this trip.

London?

I understand there is a cotroversy with frankfort, but I was certain about london that you must need transit visa for UK if you don't have plastic card.

sub_labor proved it wrong. Strange world...

Sahin....I think this is what happend...

Sahin,

I think this is what happened (reading from two different posts of sub_labor):

*** SUB_LABOR: PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ***

Sub_labor went from US to India via London. He had 551 stamp on his passport and had not received the plastic card by that time.

Nobody asked for transit visa for London.

Then when he was coming back from India to US (via London), Indian immigration did not allow him to travel in that route because he did not have transit visa for London.

So he had to change his route to travel via frankfurt, which apparently does not require a transit visa if you have 551 stamp on your passport.

Sahin

Denman,
I been searching for this information for a long time. I already bought a ticket thru frankfurt . My flight is on early Jan 2005. Some people say you don't need transit visa, some poeple said you do.

I emailed chicago german consulate, they replied you do need transit visa, if you don't have the plastic card yet. I also read the excerpt in the german consulate web site if I have permanent resident permit for USA, I don't need transit visa. We do have permanent resident permit/status. We just don't have that damn plastic card. Apprently, people don't have very good idea, what's the difference between I-551 stamp and I-551 card. Lot of people even consular from different country think, until you don't have plastic card, you are not quite permanent resident for USA yet ;)

Well, in forum, people suggest why bother? Just a get visa. Only $13. I understand that. To be on the safe side we should do that. But, this doesn't address the problem at all. I don't live in chicago. Therefore, I have to send my mail. Just a little hassle.

But I sincerely think german won't need transit visa as they aren't very specific on this.

Sahin, I think (and hope) you are right

Sahin,

I think (and hope) you are right :)

I travelling through Frankfurt to India, in next 2 weeks. I do not have the transit visa yet.

I live in CO, which is covered by German consulate, L.A.
I e-mailed them and they did not respond back. Then I read in this forum that, Atlanta consulate is good in responding. So I wrote the same email to Atlanta, saying that I have my stamp on passport and not the plastic card. And I gave them all details of my travel plan including stop-over time in Frankfurt, etc. I had not said that "I have 551 stamp" I just said that, I have my permanenet residence stamp on passport, and not the plastic card.

And one lady in Atlanta consulate (visa dept.) responded saying that "If you have 551 stamp on passport, then a transit visa will not be required".

I checked with airlines and they also said the same this (custome service - over phone), that they want "residence permit". They do not have any specific requirement for a "card". They asked me to take a printout of the e-mai from Atlanta office, just in case.

And after sub_labor confirmed about his travel through Frankfurt. I think, I am not going to go for a transit visa for Frankfurt.

As you said, I have to mail my passports to L.A. for VISA And it's a hassle and .....
I know, the money is not much. If Atlanta office would have told me otherwise, I would have got the VISA for sure. And if I were a residence of L.A., I would have got it for sure. But if I have to mail my passport and if it's not really required, then why do it.... If Atlanta office says that it's not required, I think, the Germany rule should be same irrespective of which state I am living in.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Sahin

I agree with you. If I was living in any State where german consulates are located, I would go and get today.

I woudn't tell you don't take visa, you will also be smart enough not to follow my suggestions. However, I think if you decide not to take get visa finally, take the following with you

1) E-mail you got
2) Print out from German Consulate web site where it specifically mentions US resident permit not plastic card
3) I-485 approval original copy
4) $$$$$ in case :)

I am sure you will be fine. My in laws came couple months back on visitor visa thru frankfurt. They mentioned they were not asked anything about transit visa even they had it in passport. Go figure now......

Transit visa

denman said:
Does anybody have any information on this?

Thank you.

If you are not planning on getting the transit visa, make sure you take all the appropriate docs which state that you are a permanant resident.. like your approval letter etc. I think if you have welcome letter it will be a great evidence and also the email you received from Atlanta.

Good luck

Not sure, I guess I'll go for transit visa anyways!

Following is the email conversation with German Consulate at Houston:

Yes, you will need a transit visa.
Sincerely,
Visa Dept.
----- Original Message -----
To: .HOUS RK-Visa-1000 Simmang, Elten Susan
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: Do I need transit visa]

Hi,

German Consulate website says following:

======
List of countries whose citizens do need a airport transit visa

India (please see exception 1)

Exception 1 to the list above:
If you hold a valid visa or residence permit for a member country of the European Union, Canada, Switzerland or the United States of America you do not need an airport transit visa.
======

I am a permanent resident of USA and I do have valid I-551 stamp (permanent residency stamp) in my passport. I'm supposed to travel next week. It will be of great help and I would appreciate a lot if you can please verify what should I follow.

Thank you very much,
S

.HOUS RK-Visa-1000 Simmang, Elten Susan wrote:

Yes, you will need a transit visa.
Sincerely,
Visa Dept.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Do I need transit visa
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:42:56 -0600
To: info@germanconsulatehouston.org

Hello,

I am an Indian citizen living in Dallas. I have US permanent resident
stamp (I-551) in my passport. I am traveling on Lufthansa to India
shortly. I have stopovers at Frankfurt on my way to India and back. Can
you please tell me if I need transit visa for traveling through Germany.

Thanks,
S......

I will have to drive to Houston for this. Sucks! Any one know if I can do this in one day? Any experience folks?

Last edited by a moderator: