Traffic Tickets - N400

sanjay73

Registered Users (C)
I know this may been repeatedly discussed. but sorry to ask again...Just so that i understand clearly.

I did get two tickets. One was for $50 or something way back in 03 and then one in 08 for $100.

Both were paid.

I also contacted the State of GA and state of MA and got some driving records history and also proof that the citation was paid.

Since it was less than $500 i did not put it in the N400.

Do i have to take these copies with me just in case or not say anything at all at the time of Interview. ??

Cool :) , Sweet !!

Just another question: If it does come to a point where they ask,,, have you got any traffic tickets... and i am assuming i say : Yes, and here is the proof that those have been paid too....CORRECT ?

Just say yes, but no arrest involved.
If they ask proof of payment, then you give it to them.

The bad thing is if traffic violation is 10 years ago and you may not be able to provide any proof of payments

Cool :) , Sweet !!

Just another question: If it does come to a point where they ask,,, have you got any traffic tickets... and i am assuming i say : Yes, and here is the proof that those have been paid too....CORRECT ?

I had not put the speeding tickets on my N-400 but at the interview when the IO was going over the arrest/citation question I did mention my tickets and offered to show the driving record and that the tickets had been paid. The officer changed my answers for arrest/citation questions from No to Yes and added both the tickets on the form. I was still approved and got the same day oath without any problems. If I were you and had all the documentation I would mention it during the interview.

Based on myself and my wife's interview, the conclusion that we drew speaking with the IO was that if you have a ticket and the case was "Dismissed" then you have the option to mention the ticket or not. But if you got a ticket for which you either pleaded guilty and paid or were convicted you should mention it on the N-400 or at least at the interview. Documentation is generally not required for tickets under $500 but its best to take it if you have it available.

Then I would simply tell him so and slide a copy of page 8 (M-476) across the desk.
:D

Such instruction is also clearly printed on document checklist that come with the interview letter.

But then the IO would simply say how can I know the fine was below $500 if you do not provide documents

But then the IO would simply say how can I know the fine was below $500 if you do not provide documents

Because you took the oath to tell the truth! In the same way he believes you when you sign or say that you were not involved in prostitution, false claim of citizenship and a bunch of other questions for which you respond as "No". If you say it was less than $500 and he decides to pursue and it turns out to be more than $500 then you could be in deep-deep trouble later; not just for the ticket but also for lying under oath.

But of course as I said earlier if you have the documentation available, produce it to clear the doubt then and there itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple answer. If you mentioned them on the N-400 then bring proof. If you did not mention the tickets on the N-400 you do need any proof...