Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Speeding ticket after N400 Submission

Hello All,
Today I got a speeding ticket in Virgina. I submmited my application 2 weeks ago and I guess my receipt would have been generated by now but I have yet to receive it. I have two questions:

1) Do I need to inform USCIS about this ticket NOW? Should I try to avoid getting points and plead judge to fine me higher penalty instead?
2) I did NOT check YES for Q#16 for getting citations in the past 5 years. I did get 2 tickets in past 5 years. Looks like I overlooked that question. What is the repercussion? I do intend to take all DMV records (including of today's ticket) with me to the interview.

Please let me know if need to worry too much about it. My intentions are to tell truth if asked during interview.

Does any one have heard any bad experience for the similar situation?

Any feedback / suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
unim

Hello All,
Today I got a speeding ticket in Virgina. I submmited my application 2 weeks ago and I guess my receipt would have been generated by now but I have yet to receive it. I have two questions:

1) Do I need to inform USCIS about this ticket NOW? Should I try to avoid getting points and plead judge to fine me higher penalty instead?
2) I did NOT check YES for Q#16 for getting citations in the past 5 years. I did get 2 tickets in past 5 years. Looks like I overlooked that question. What is the repercussion? I do intend to take all DMV records (including of today's ticket) with me to the interview.

#1. You do not need to inform CIS about the ticket NOW. Any changes since the application can be reported at the time of interview. However, if this requires additional scrutiny, it might add some delay to the case.

#2. Now this is a grey area. If you did not check this, overlooking will not be a good reason ... it will depends on the IO. Now given that you have 3 tickets, the IO can act nasty if he/she wants to. Nasty === asking for data, intensive questioning. Taking DMV records is not enough - try to get disposition of tickets (court provided printout etc.) with you.

Generally, you have the option to fight the current ticket in court if you wanted to. However, given the number of tickets, and if it is really your fault, and you do not intend to contest it anyway, it might be best to pay up as soon as possible. This will at least ensure that you have no outstanding issues, although the # tickets still remains a concern.

I think other members might be able to judge the chances better if you could describe the dates and nature of all 3 citations.

Me and my spouse completed interview and oath today.
These forums were very helpful, several times I asked questions and got prompt replies and read lot of experiences and many different threads which made me feel better about the process.
Thanks to all of you and special thanks to all of you who contribute here very regularly.

Part of my experience
"Another thing she asked me was I ever arrested I said “No”, she said in your application you have said yes. I told her I was never arrested but I was cited – speeding ticket. She said OK and wrote traffic violation next to it and never asked me anything about ticket and I didn’t volunteer to show anything though I had few things with me for this purpose."

Traffic ticket story:
I had one ticket ($160 + 2 points) and I mentioned it on N-400.
I got psyched up when I got yellow letter and it said bring proper records for arrest I have mentioned in N-400.
With help these forums I understood I need something. I made copy of ticket and check I posted to have with me minimum.
Then I wrote an email for “Court disposition” for this ticket to Colorado DMV. I got a reply call our office and phone number was provided. I called that number it was DMV office.
I gave my DL number and they confirmed I had one ticket and I paid and lady confirmed that is true. I asked I need “Court disposition” for this ticket for immigration purpose, now it was turn of this lady to get psyched, she said what that is? And she transferred me to revenue depart and lady there too said yes this case if closed but she doesn’t understand what I need. She offered me that I can get DMV record which will have some info about this ticket. I said OK, she said go to your local DMV and she gave me address.
I did some more research online and found out that I can get certified copy only through postal mail. I mailed a check of $2.70 (fee for certified copy) and a letter to address mentioned and I got certified copy in postal mail after couple of days.
It did mention ticket but it was still not clear from DMV record that I had paid ticket and case is closed.
So I called the court mentioned on DMV record. It was tough to find this court number because it was somewhere in Colorado which I don’t know. Lady I spoke to new what I am asking but searched the database with my name and said I never had any case in that court.
I told her whole story then she realized and said since I paid my fine this case will never show up in court and will not have any record. If I wouldn’t have paid it would have showed up in court and then based on whatever would have been outcome of court proceeding they could have given me what I am asking for.
Lady was nice, she said if required ask immigration officer to call me and gave me her extension.
I also called my bank and asked for copy of check through which I paid this fine. Check didn’t arrive before interview so I was not able to take it with me.
So only thing which I had with me for speeding ticket:
1. Certified copy of DMV record (me – because I had ticket, spouse – none)
2. Copy of certified copy of DMV record (me – because I had ticket, spouse – none)
3. Copy of ticket I got (me – because I had ticket, spouse – none)
4. Copy of check I sent for ticket (me – because I had ticket, spouse – none)

But as I mentioned in my interview experience, I was never asked for anything related to speeding ticket:
“Another thing she asked me was I ever arrested I said “No”, she said in your application you have said yes. I told her I was never arrested but I was cited – speeding ticket. She said OK and wrote traffic violation next to it and never asked me anything about ticket and I didn’t volunteer to show anything though I had few things with me for this purpose.”

At my interview my officer asked: "Have you ever been arrested, detained, cited" (he was reading it exactly as it is on the N-400.
I said no (didn't declare my 3 traffic tickets, including the one I'm still waiting a court date for - after almost 2 years), he went on, end of discussion, my oath is on friday.

Good question! I assume this was a pink Desk Appearance Ticket? Back in 1997, I got a similar ticket for trespassing. It was subsequently dismissed. After sending in my N-400, I went through all possible channels to obtain a court disposition. I went to the court where I had to appear for the ticket, and they had no record of any kind pertaining to it. I even pulled a copy of my criminal record. I ended up not disclosing it.

My suggestion is to go to the courthouse where you originally had to appear and see if they have anything. Since this was a minor offense, they may not have it on their records. However, it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks vorpal, I got the court disposition for beer ticket. But I still need to keep traffic dispositions handy in case IO ask for it. I called the 518 number listed here for NY and th eguy asked me to visit DMV. Is it possible to do on phone?

Thanks vorpal, I got the court disposition for beer ticket. But I still need to keep traffic dispositions handy in case IO ask for it. I called the 518 number listed here for NY and th eguy asked me to visit DMV. Is it possible to do on phone?

Depending on how old your tickets are and where in NY you received them, it may not even be possible to obtain records. You can order a copy of your driver transcript online by visiting the DMV website, but that's about it. If your tickets were handled by the traffic violations bureau and are over 3 years old, no records will be available.

At my interview my officer asked: "Have you ever been arrested, detained, cited" (he was reading it exactly as it is on the N-400.
I said no (didn't declare my 3 traffic tickets, including the one I'm still waiting a court date for - after almost 2 years), he went on, end of discussion, my oath is on friday.

Congrats and good move!

I requested NY DMV driver abstract online for $10 and it shows nothing except point reducing program (Defensive driving course to reduce insurance premium).

Seems it does not how any record of tickets i got few years ago...now what?

I requested NY DMV driver abstract online for $10 and it shows nothing except point reducing program (Defensive driving course to reduce insurance premium).

Seems it does not how any record of tickets i got few years ago...now what?

If you received your tickets at a jurisdiction covered by the Traffic Violations Bureau (NYC, for instance) and they don't show up on your driving abstract, don't disclose them on your N-400. It'll only create unnecessary complications in your case. It's been mentioned before that the TVB purges records every 3 years. When my application was pending, I filed a FOIA request with the DMV to get records of old tickets. In return, they sent me a letter stating that no records exist.

Passed interviews

My wife and I passed our interviews today at SF. I had 2 tickets from 98 and 05 and a missing rear plate (correctable) ticket from a few days ago. My wife has a ticket from a couple of months ago that has not yet been decided on. We did not mention them on the N-400s. I had taken certified court dispositions for my 2 older tickets and the DMV-signed new one. The IO read out "any arrests, convictions or citations" to which I replied "2 minor traffic tickets, not DUI related, not above $500". She asked me the details of the tickets and if I had paid the fines. Also mentioned the correctable ticket and that it had been fixed. She noted everything on the N400 and moved on. Not sure if she changed the answer from No to Yes.

Wife had taken the fine payment receipt with her. She wasn't specifically asked about tickets, only arrests or felonies, to which she answered no and the IO moved on.

IO mentioned about receiving the OL in 1-2 weeks. Irritatingly, the NY state certified court disposition has wordings like "Date of Arrest" when it had only been a simple speeding ticket changed into a park/stop violation, no arrests of any kind. I had asked the court clerk over the phone and was told that it was the standard wording that they used. I was worried that rather than helping, this would cause more problems. Thankfully no documentation was asked. To think that I shelled out 70 odd bucks for the Express mail and back, but hey, better safe than sorry!

Hopefully this should soon end the years long immigration saga - from F1 to H1 to GC and then USC! Thanks a lot to all for all the helpful info in this loooong thread and for the PMs as well. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Congrats my friend! -By not stressing irrelevant facts, you allowed the process to run smoothly, and thereby contributed to reducing waiting time for other applicants out there. thanks for that!

So I've got my test on the 9th of November,answered all of the questions and got scheduled for Oath Ceremony on the 23rd of this month.
I haven't admitted to any traffic citations as I didn't know I have to !!!
I haven't had any major tickets,in 12 years I 've got 6 tickets,3 for speeding,2 for something idiotic and one for minor bumper scratch,each paid,resolved,nothing in recent years.
Should I still mention it before my oath? I haven't lied to IO either,I just didn't understand how deep that question really is.

EDIT:Just got a call from attorney "You've passed your test,you are clear,don't worry about it,you are all good" so my case is closed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've got my test on the 9th of November,answered all of the questions and got scheduled for Oath Ceremony on the 23rd of this month.
I haven't had any major tickets,in 12 years I 've got 6 tickets,3 for speeding,2 for something idiotic and one for minor bumper scratch,each paid,resolved,nothing in recent years.
Should I still mention it before my oath? I haven't lied to IO either,I just didn't understand how deep that question really is.

EDIT:Just got a call from attorney "You've passed your test,you are clear,don't worry about it,you are all good" so my case is closed :)

Since the question on the oath letter is only pertinent to events that take place between the interview and the oath, the answer would be "NO".

Whatever you do before the 23rd, answer NO.

There is a lot of useful information for those would like to take the citizenship exam here. I read a lot however, my case is slightly different. Here is my case:
I filled out the application and already sent it.

Just some days ago, I got a citation from a Metrolink security for not having a valid school ID (an expired one) because I was using a student pass - the ticket was called "Transit Violation", not "Traffic Violation" like many people's here.

I could go to the court for appealing, however, I decided to pay the fine as it was only $50 because I took me almost 2 hours to drive back and forth to the circuit court, probably 1-2 hours waiting. I would have to skip my part-time work. so I paid the $50 fine.

My question:
is this "transit violation" different from "traffic violation"? If not, is it a serious case?

There is a lot of useful information for those would like to take the citizenship exam here. I read a lot however, my case is slightly different. Here is my case:
I filled out the application and already sent it.

Just some days ago, I got a citation from a Metrolink security for not having a valid school ID (an expired one) because I was using a student pass - the ticket was called "Transit Violation", not "Traffic Violation" like many people's here.

I could go to the court for appealing, however, I decided to pay the fine as it was only $50 because I took me almost 2 hours to drive back and forth to the circuit court, probably 1-2 hours waiting. I would have to skip my part-time work. so I paid the $50 fine.

My question:
is this "transit violation" different from "traffic violation"? If not, is it a serious case?

This would be even less serious than a "regular" traffic incident, so judging by the general consensus it would seem okay to say no and not have to disclose it. Not sure what the options were in your case but there can be a not guilty plea and/or a trial via written declaration and thus not have to be present physically in court.

This would be even less serious than a "regular" traffic incident, so judging by the general consensus it would seem okay to say no and not have to disclose it. Not sure what the options were in your case but there can be a not guilty plea and/or a trial via written declaration and thus not have to be present physically in court.

Thank you very much for relying. Actually, I sent the N-400 application before getting this citation. I have not violated any thing, even a triffic violation, except this one.

There were 2 options for this citation:
1. Guity, sign the paper, and pay $50 fine.
2. Not guity, appeal to the court.

Because I will not go to the court, probably, there might not any court record. I think I should make the copy of the citation and the copied image of the check that I paid to the interview, in case, IO asks.

I have a traffic speeding ticket from a few years back and now i'm applying for citizenship.

I have 2 questions that hopefully someone can share. I'm in california.

1. The DMV shows that I have a clean record - I even got a printout but I don't think they have a certified copy or anything showing my record, am I wrong?

2. I called the county court to see if they can give me a certified copy showing that I took traffic school and paid off the ticket but they said they didn't have records going that far back. Will a receipt showing I paid the fine and took traffic school be sufficient if asked about the speeding ticket?

Interesting to notice that on the poll, the highest number was for "I did not mention them on the N-400. The IO did not ask about them". I saw the question but didn't notice it required info about citations on it so I check "no" on it but based on some of the things I've read so far, I have started requesting for copies of proof of payments. I am not exactly the best behaved behind the steering wheel of a car as I have average a ticket per year in the last 5 years.