Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Traffic tickets - Does all traffic tickets need to be resolved before Interview date

Hi,

In my N-400 application, I had mentioned that I received 3 tickets during my stay in US. The last one is pending trial (since that is what I opted to do).

I received a notice from USCIS asking me to bring proof of how the tickets were resolved. I am wondering if I am supposed to resolve my last ticket that is pending trial. I really intend to go for trial on this one.

Is there any legal obligation that makes me resolve all tickets before I go for the interview ?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
some_guy03

There is not enough data to support any pattern how USCIS treat traffic ticekts. Someone say they take pending case seriously and goting to court seriously.

I think it is a pity.

Many people do not even dislcose traffic tickets with good faith that they do not need to and get no trouble at all.

No matter what U will not disclose traffic tickets If I get to close to the oath day and get a ticket on the eve of oath day.

Is there any legal obligation that makes me resolve all tickets before I go for the interview ?
If you have any unpaid tickets at the time of the interview, and USCIS knows about the tickets, the interviewer is likely to postpone approval until the tickets are either paid or dismissed.

If the ticket is for less than $500 and did not involve drugs or alcohol, the IO may choose to ignore the requirement for information about how the ticket was resolved. An individual IO has a lot of discretion in these situations as WBH pointed out above.

They actually sent you a notice that explicitly directs you to bring proof of traffic ticket resolution?

It must be that yellow letter. It does not mean much. The initial reviewer
see your check some "Yes" boxes and automatically generate yellow letter
accordingly using some templates

To all those who responded. thanks.

Yes its the yellow letter (boiler plate template) that says that I have indicated that I had been arrested. Please bring proof of any issues. Something like that. It actually does not talk about citation but I am sure thats what its intended for.

Whoever reviewed the application saw my answer in "yes" for citations, arrests etc and the list of tickets.

Yes its the yellow letter (boiler plate template) that says that I have indicated that I had been arrested. Please bring proof of any issues. Something like that. It actually does not talk about citation but I am sure thats what its intended for.

Whoever reviewed the application saw my answer in "yes" for citations, arrests etc and the list of tickets.

The yellow letter is a generic one sent out to some applicants. Either the IO will tell you that they aren't concerned with minor traffic tickets or (less likely) request for you to pay the fine before USCIS can adjudicate your case.

That's what I thought. If you check "YES" to the question that asks about citations/arrests/detainments, the yellow letter will automatically have a statement that you indicated that you've been arrested. Just to be on the safe side, bring proof of paid tickets. For more information, check the traffic ticket sticky.

Also ensure to get a court disposition proving that you have paid the fine and taken a traffic school (as required) and the case is closed. This is the document that IO will look to ensure you have met your obligation. Its an important supporting piece of evidence to have at the interview. You can get this from the county court (you will typically get this either at the same date or at the most in 2 weeks)

good luck

Also ensure to get a court disposition proving that you have paid the fine and taken a traffic school (as required) and the case is closed. This is the document that IO will look to ensure you have met your obligation. Its an important supporting piece of evidence to have at the interview. You can get this from the county court (you will typically get this either at the same date or at the most in 2 weeks)

good luck

That's contradictory to what the guide instructions say (no supporting documentation is required for minor traffic tickets under $500.) In fact, it's very rare that an IO will ask for documentation for a minor traffic ticket as it's not something that would make you ineligible for naturalization.

That's contradictory to what the guide instructions say (no supporting documentation is required for minor traffic tickets under $500.) In fact, it's very rare that an IO will ask for documentation for a minor traffic ticket as it's not something that would make you ineligible for naturalization.

Also, how can one get a court disposition if I never went to court in the first place? Is this even possible? I just paid my fine on-line and took the traffic school course.

Also, how can one get a court disposition if I never went to court in the first place? Is this even possible? I just paid my fine on-line and took the traffic school course.

You can easily get a receipt. Do it now and possible get several receipts.
Just tell the court clerk you need it for citizenship. The clerk may laugh
if she thinks you make such a big deal out of a traffic ticket but you should
insist upon it

I received a similar citation in 2002 and paid the fine via mail with a check. The City/Court of Chicago can't produce a court certified disposition because I did not go to court. The best they were able to do was provide me a copy of the citation, the letter they mailed me back in 2002 and a computer screen shot of my Docket # and Ticket # showing the fine has been paid. Do you guys think this is adequate proof / support for the interview?

I received a similar citation in 2002 and paid the fine via mail with a check. The City/Court of Chicago can't produce a court certified disposition because I did not go to court. The best they were able to do was provide me a copy of the citation, the letter they mailed me back in 2002 and a computer screen shot of my Docket # and Ticket # showing the fine has been paid. Do you guys think this is adequate proof / support for the interview?

The goal is to demonstrate ticket has been paid. So Yes.

Traffic Tickets & Processing Delays

Sorry for opening a new thread on traffic tickets issue when filing N-400. I believe this issue was not discussed in that thread. My concern is, if traffic tickets (simple citation and fine payment) is mentioned on the application, did anyone notice any processing delays of N-400 petition, especially between the stages of finger printing and scheduling interview date? Please advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for opening a new thread on traffic tickets issue when filing N-400. I believe this issue was not discussed in that thread. My concern is, if traffic tickets (simple citation and fine payment) is mentioned on the application, did anyone notice any processing delays of N-400 petition, especially between the stages of finger printing and scheduling interview date? Please advice.

Mentioning tickets certainly triggers a CFR letter. I am not sure however if it delays the process. I would personally choose to mention them at the interview.....

Mentioning tickets certainly triggers a CFR letter. I am not sure however if it delays the process. I would personally choose to mention them at the interview.....

Is that the "yellow letter" everybody talks about? If yes - then what you say is not true. My wife had a speeding ticket and received IL but no yellow letter.

Advice

What is a CFR letter? Could you please be more specific on it? At what stage does one receive CFR letter if your suggestion is true. Thanks.