Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

How does the IO know about your traffic ticket if it was not mentioned in the N-400 application ? Was the traffic ticket within the last 5 years ?

I do not think that they can find out anything beyond 5 years.

If you have receievd the ticket/citation and paid fines to the county court. It is a public record and can be easily accessible by anyone. IO can pull that info based on your name alone without any issue and free of charge:)
I think it can tracked for 12 years

How to get traffic ticket payment documentation

I had four tickets in Michigan prior to Mar 2000. None involved DUI or anything over 200$. I have not kept the records. I did request my drivers license record and it shows only the violation history.

What is the best way to get a statement from Michigan or any other authority stating that my record is in good condition.

send a letter + $10

Hi,

You need to send application to the municipal courts where you got the tickets. mention approx date and enclose a check for $10 and they will send you the "transcript of docket " or some equivalent document.(This is what I did in NJ, please check if fee is different)

Hope this helps.

Get The Driving Record on your license from any michigan dmv

For the payment proof, visit the court clerk which processed the payment and ask for the court disposition on the ticket. It should not take more than 10 minutes for them to get you the court disposition provided the case is not really old.

Make sure if you get the disposition from the court, it is certified by it. Usually they stamp the disposition verifying that the court has the actual document in records.

Best of Luck:)

What if we don't remember the locality?

I had mentioned on N-400 about the speeding tickets.

Those were for less than $100 (all of them) and more than 10 years ago. Made an official request with the state DMV which issued my license at that time, but there's nothing in their record to indicate any violation (which was out-of-state). Contacted the state in which the violation occurred and they don't keep records for longer than 7 years. I don't even remember which local/municipal jurisdictions those violations come under. What else can I try to get some official documentation?

Michigan Tickets

I had mentioned on N-400 about the speeding tickets.

Those were for less than $100 (all of them) and more than 10 years ago. Made an official request with the state DMV which issued my license at that time, but there's nothing in their record to indicate any violation (which was out-of-state). Contacted the state in which the violation occurred and they don't keep records for longer than 7 years. I don't even remember which local/municipal jurisdictions those violations come under. What else can I try to get some official documentation?

I had my interview today in San Jose and I too had two tickets in Michigan 16 years ago and the IO did not even ask for proof. I remember the city I got my ticket (Canton) so called the district court office in Plymouth, they asked me to send a check for $1 (Yes one dollar) and I got a court document showing that the ticket had been dismissed with dates. Same thing with the other ticket (farmington hills). Just google traffic courts for each city where you recall getting the ticket and call up the court office

Most of these records are available online (e.g. oklahoma traffic tickets). google it based on which court you paid the fine and contact them to get the disposition letter.

I got a traffic ticket in Alabama, when I had California Drivers Licence. I paid traffic fine but lost the ticket recently. I only remembered approaximate date and place where I got ticket. So I called up the Municipal court of the city and explained my situation. She asked just my last name and since I do not have very common last name, she immidietly could retrieve my ticket. I gave the approx dat as Sep 1999, but it was actually Nov 1999. She also faxed a copy of ticket and court documents to me free of cost.

I advice you just call the court and they will help you.

Is one expected to call every court?

I got mine when I was traveling out-of-state and the only thing I can remember is state. I already contacted the state's DMV and they don't keep records for that long.

I got a traffic ticket in Alabama, when I had California Drivers Licence. I paid traffic fine but lost the ticket recently. I only remembered approaximate date and place where I got ticket. So I called up the Municipal court of the city and explained my situation. She asked just my last name and since I do not have very common last name, she immidietly could retrieve my ticket. I gave the approx dat as Sep 1999, but it was actually Nov 1999. She also faxed a copy of ticket and court documents to me free of cost.

I advice you just call the court and they will help you.

Unfortunately you have to call the particular municipal court. State DMV purges your record after certain number of years.

Traffic ticket before Oath ceremony - urgent advice needed

Folks,

In one last hiccup, I got a speeding ticket before my oath ceremony that
is on Friday 8/31. I just checked there is a form I need to submit that
asks to declare "Were you arrested, cited, ....blah blah, including traffic
violations?"

If I answer "yes" to it, will they postpone my oath? I am in a dilemma
here. Please advise. Thanks a lot.

Please do a search for traffic ticket on this forum. There are a ton of posts debating that subject. In short, some people declare it and others don't. You don't have to, but if you do you need to show proof...

Folks,

In one last hiccup, I got a speeding ticket before my oath ceremony that
is on Friday 8/31. I just checked there is a form I need to submit that
asks to declare "Were you arrested, cited, ....blah blah, including traffic
violations?"

If I answer "yes" to it, will they postpone my oath? I am in a dilemma
here. Please advise. Thanks a lot.

The N445 asks for traffic violations and you can disclose it if you want. I know other people at oath who had a ticket just before oath that they paid and they disclosed it on oath date. They carried the court disposition and the receipt of fine paid, certified from court. What will happen is when you go there the person handing you the oath package flips the N445 and sees if everything is "no" and justs sends you in the room otherwise if there is a "yes" they will send you to a desk with a DAO. DAO will ask you questions about the ticket, will possibly want to see the original ticket to make sure no other charges were filed and the disposition of the case and the fee receipt. At my oath all people with tickets made it in and I personally knew one who told me there was no problem. My theory is at the N445 stage all they are concerned is if you have been charged with any of the excludable crimes. I think it has to be serious enough for them to re-open an approved case. In any case going strictly by the language of N445 which is different from the N400 language, yes, you are required disclose any tickets.

The N445 asks for traffic violations and you can disclose it if you want. I know other people at oath who had a ticket just before oath that they paid and they disclosed it on oath date. They carried the court disposition and the receipt of fine paid, certified from court. What will happen is when you go there the person handing you the oath package flips the N445 and sees if everything is "no" and justs sends you in the room otherwise if there is a "yes" they will send you to a desk with a DAO. DAO will ask you questions about the ticket, will possibly want to see the original ticket to make sure no other charges were filed and the disposition of the case and the fee receipt. At my oath all people with tickets made it in and I personally knew one who told me there was no problem. My theory is at the N445 stage all they are concerned is if you have been charged with any of the excludable crimes. I think it has to be serious enough for them to re-open an approved case. In any case going strictly by the language of N445 which is different from the N400 language, yes, you are required disclose any tickets.

Thanks lotechguy!
If the case is still pending and no disposition is available, what would
be the outcome? To make matters worse, I already had hired an attorney
to defend the ticket in the court. In hindsight I should have just paid
the fine and settled it. Oh darn!
Will they postpone my oath date until after the case is settled?
Thanks

Thanks lotechguy!
If the case is still pending and no disposition is available, what would
be the outcome? To make matters worse, I already had hired an attorney
to defend the ticket in the court. In hindsight I should have just paid
the fine and settled it. Oh darn!
Will they postpone my oath date until after the case is settled?
Thanks

I dont know what they will do if ticket is pending. From some posts I saw at the time of interview some folks had pending tickets(At interview) and DAO told them decision cannot be made until ticket disposition is decided ie technicallythey dont know what the judge may finally convict you off so just going by their rules they would have to hold off on the oath and tell youthey will reschedule for next month or something.

Ideally you just want to pay the ticket and be done with it - that way you can show proof that you are taking care of business. Depending on the severity of the issue (i.e. hopefully not a "reckless" ticket), you may be ok just declaring that you got the ticket and are dealing with it.

More severe citations involving alcohol, drugs or reckless driving are likely to cause your oath to be delayed until you have the final court disposition available.

suspended license

hi everybody, i need some help/advice.

Last year i was arrested for driving with a suspended license. I did not know it was suspended, apparently my license was suspended due to the fact that i had not paid a 50$ ticket. Got fingerprinted, photo taken. I plead nolo and the judge dismissed the case, and only had to pay court fees. I just dont know if i should apply now for citizenship or wait it out for a couple more years, im very paranoid about this. I have read where people with dui/dwi's dont run into any problems. Any advice on what i should do?

Also, if i do not apply for citizenship i MUST renew my green card. Will this arrest have any impact on my renewal? I have been in the U.S for a little over 19 years with no prior arrrests, convictions. My last speeding ticket was in the summer of 97.

Thanks in advance.