Tourism visit to Canada: Do we require visa?

atlantabhopali

Registered Users (C)
Hello Folks,

Our 485 was approved in March and our passports have been stamped since. However, we have not received our plastic GC yet. Do we require a visa for tourism to Canada?

Also, our 1 month old US born daughter does not has her passport yet. Will her birth certificate be ok or does she requires a government issued photo id?

Please share your experiences.

Thanks,

- ab

atlantabhopali said:
Hello Folks,

Our 485 was approved in March and our passports have been stamped since. However, we have not received our plastic GC yet. Do we require a visa for tourism to Canada?

Also, our 1 month old US born daughter does not has her passport yet. Will her birth certificate be ok or does she requires a government issued photo id?

Please share your experiences.

Thanks,

- ab
check canadian consulate website if GC holders can travel without visas.
ur daughter needs US passport for travel to canada.

Real canadian,

Thanks for your response. The Canadian website confirmed that we do not require a visa (551 stamp is enuf) and that for our daughter, proof of US citizenship and identity is enuf.

Question though - what other proof of identity exists for a 2 month old? She does not has a passport and definitely not a driver's license. What other identity can we get, if there is no time to get a passport?

Thanks,

- ab

atlantabhopali said:
Real canadian,

Thanks for your response. The Canadian website confirmed that we do not require a visa (551 stamp is enuf) and that for our daughter, proof of US citizenship and identity is enuf.

Question though - what other proof of identity exists for a 2 month old? She does not has a passport and definitely not a driver's license. What other identity can we get, if there is no time to get a passport?

Thanks,

- ab

birth certificate should suffice though check that up with the canadian embassy

If you are US permanent Resident (either with gc or with stamp on your passport), you don't require Canadian visa to enter Canada. Your daughter's birth certificate would suffice to enter Canada. but your daughter needs US passport to reenter USA. I think your daughter would be okay without US passport but US birth certificate because your daughter is baby.

* Old US border policy (to enter USA) was that every US citizen was required to show either US driver license or US birth certificate when they reenter the United States from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
* New US border policy has been implemented for everyone including foreign citizens and US citizens to require passports. US citizen is required to show US passport when they reenter the USA from neighboring countries. Foreign citizen is required to show foreign passport AND either US green card, visa, I-551 stamp on passport, other related document or AP document. That's what new rules announced recently by the State and Homeland Security departments. New rules is underway (by 2008).

For more information, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

Last edited by a moderator:
USGC485 said:
but your daughter needs US passport to reenter USA. I think your daughter would be okay without US passport but US birth certificate because your daughter is baby.

As your post stated, this does not take effect (if it ever will) until 2008.

Yes, Like I said, it would be completed by 2008. It means it is still underway. Be aware: Some border agents are strict and some of them are not. They are trained to check travellers' immigration status.

Hi,

Are there any countries other than Canada that ppl with Green card can travel with out any visitor visa.. Mexico? may be some South american countries..etc..

Thanks -GcFeb05

List of countries that doesn't require visitor visa if you have US green card:
1) Canada
2) Mexico
3) Switzerland (but in the future it will require EU visitor visa since it will ease to join EU free visitor visa. I am not sure about this. I know for just now it doesn't require vistor visa to enter Switzerland if you have a US green card.).
4) Some caribbean Islands (such as US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico because they are part of USA. For some other islands, you can get visa at the airport when you arrive at islands)

I think that's all.