Too many traffic citations?

mverma2

I have had my share of sheer bad-luck and made a couple of stupid decisions while driving. I have no DUI/DWI, no misdemeanors and no criminal record.

Over past 10 years I have received a bunch of traffic citations (mostly resolved through simply paying the fine without any required court appearance):

Mar-01 Parking violation at state park
Apr-01 at fault accident (minor property damage no other vehicle involved)
May-01 Speeding at 105 MPH (75 MPH "freeway" zone)
Sept-02 Being in wrong lane violation
Apr-04 at fault accident (minor fender bender)
Feb-07 Stop sign violation
Dec.08 at fault accident (minor fender bender)
Dec.08 Speeding (74 MPH in 65 MPH "freeway" zone)
Apr-10 Red light violation (not stopping while taking a right turn).

Does this pattern represent a bad moral behavior OR just signs of bad driver? Do I need to list all citations? Or only the citations after receiving GC? Are at-fault accidents considered citations even though no ticket is issued?

If this become an issue during interview - how do I convince IO that these infractions were just incidental and I meant no evil? What would be a good line of defense?

Well, if I were you, I would list all of them since the question on moral character clearly states "have you ever been arrested and/or cited......?"!

Well, if I were you, I would list all of them since the question on moral character clearly states "have you ever been arrested and/or cited......?"!

I thought so too. Because nowhere in N400 application or instruction say that list citations only in last 5 years. So in theory, you are supposed to list all the citations including ones which happened before 5 years. But I checked with my lawyer and she had advised me against listing any violations prior to 5 years. If I had so many violations as the OP, I would definitely (and rather conveniently) take my lawyer's advice and list only those in past 5 years. Look at the list of citations OP has. He/she is living rather dangerously.

You are a serial offender and this pattern clearly shows your disregard for laws in a civilized society. USCIS might want to find what is wrong with you, will you stop your speeding escapades after you kill someone? I mean, you were involved in 2 accident in the same month? Dec 2008? You have a bad driving history and unless you get help, you are going to end up being charged with vehicular manslaughter because you like to speed, plus prison time...lol!

You are a serial offender and this pattern clearly shows your disregard for laws in a civilized society. USCIS might want to find what is wrong with you, will you stop your speeding escapades after you kill someone? I mean, you were involved in 2 accident in the same month? Dec 2008? You have a bad driving history and unless you get help, you are going to end up being charged with vehicular manslaughter because you like to speed, plus prison time...lol!
Mr Al Southner...with all due respect, you have to stop picking on people on this forum...man...You always have something smart to say when people are asking for advise..if you can give advise, just dont respond.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my share of sheer bad-luck and made a couple of stupid decisions while driving. I have no DUI/DWI, no misdemeanors and no criminal record.

Over past 10 years I have received a bunch of traffic citations (mostly resolved through simply paying the fine without any required court appearance):

Mar-01 Parking violation at state park
Apr-01 at fault accident (minor property damage no other vehicle involved)
May-01 Speeding at 105 MPH (75 MPH "freeway" zone)
Sept-02 Being in wrong lane violation
Apr-04 at fault accident (minor fender bender)
Feb-07 Stop sign violation
Dec.08 at fault accident (minor fender bender)
Dec.08 Speeding (74 MPH in 65 MPH "freeway" zone)
Apr-10 Red light violation (not stopping while taking a right turn).

Does this pattern represent a bad moral behavior OR just signs of bad driver? Do I need to list all citations? Or only the citations after receiving GC? Are at-fault accidents considered citations even though no ticket is issued?

If this become an issue during interview - how do I convince IO that these infractions were just incidental and I meant no evil? What would be a good line of defense?

Accidents, and parking tickets are civil in nature and do not need to be disclosed. That leaves you with 5 citations that need to be disclosed. Depending on your DO and IO, there is a small chance that USCIS may find you lack GMC and deny your case. Bring the citations to interview and hope for the best.

Mr Al Southner...with all due respect, you have to stop picking on people on this forum...man...You always have something smart to say when people are asking for advise..if you can give advise, just dont respond.....

I agree with you I find Al Southner very offensive, have no value at all and show lack of knowledge ... I advice you to read carefully N-400 Instructions , specially that part about traffic tickets " Note that unless a traffic incident was alcoholor drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was afine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license " http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400ins.pdf ( PAGE 2 )

I agree with you I find Al Southner very offensive, have no value at all and show lack of knowledge ... I advice you to read carefully N-400 Instructions , specially that part about traffic tickets " Note that unless a traffic incident was alcoholor drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was afine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license " http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400ins.pdf ( PAGE 2 )
While I agree with the first part of your comment, you need to check your interpretation of the statement you quote. It does not say that you can ignore traffic tickets. All it says is that in some cases you do not need to send documentation with your application. You must still disclose them, and you may still be asked to provide documentation at the interview.

It depends on your IO. In my case, I had 3 speeding tickets in my 12 years of stay in U.S.
My IO checked all my three tickets, how much over the speed I drove etc......

Luckily all are just over 10MPH....

Just imagine, If I had driven over 20 or 30 MPH, I might have been in trouble.

I also suggest you to take 'Defensive Driving' classes just for your own benefit and other drivers....
Also, take the defensive driving certificate to your interview to show that you are serious about correcting your mistakes.... Not sure if this would help you, but may show that you have good intention.

And Most important thing is, DO NOT GET ANY MORE TICKET at least until your interview.

You need to list only those after receiving GC.

This is not true. N400 say "Ever Since".

In theory, you should also list traffic tickets you received in your home country but I doubt anyone
would do that

While I agree with the first part of your comment, you need to check your interpretation of the statement you quote. It does not say that you can ignore traffic tickets. All it says is that in some cases you do not need to send documentation with your application. You must still disclose them, and you may still be asked to provide documentation at the interview.

I am not sure what not clear in the statement from NS-400 Instructions " Note that unless a traffic incident was alcoholor drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was afine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver'slicense "

This is not true. N400 say "Ever Since".

In theory, you should also list traffic tickets you received in your home country but I doubt anyone
would do that

I am not sure what not clear in the statement from NS-400 Instructions " Note that unless a traffic incident was alcoholor drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was afine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver'slicense "

It depends on your IO. In my case, I had 3 speeding tickets in my 12 years of stay in U.S.
My IO checked all my three tickets, how much over the speed I drove etc.

It is a good thing to be prepared , last ticket I had was in 2002 but yet I called the court and got court disposition , do I have to "NO" but it is a way to show IO that you care and you have nothing to hide. too many documents and too much information might back-fire at you and open lot of questions which might cause delay . the citizenship interview is not like the Green Card, it is merely to review your document, do the civic test and sign your paper . IO decision based on documents only. thats why they send you 2 letter specifying what documents to bring with you to the interview, and you don't have to bring more unless you think some information or your N-400 need more clarification from your end. In my case I have unpaid taxes which mean I have ( an issue ) and I want to work extra hard to show that I will be a good citizen and not being judge on one thing ( school/work achievement , community service , letters from employer, officials, teachers, friends , clean driving record ... etc ) ...

It means you do not have to submit it with your application. However, an IO can still request for you to provide documentation at interview.

That means you do not need to provide documents but you still need to list it. I list a stop sign violation
many years ago and write "paid the fine" in the outcome column. The IO did not ask for any docs. For others citations I have records. I got a disoebdiance to traffic control device citation before interview and after sending the N400. I told the IO about ti and asked if he cared to see teh receipt. He said
"I do". But I think even if I had not had it, he would still be OK with it.