To share some experiences

cc cc

Registered Users (C)
I just would like to share some of my personal experiences. Hope it can be helpful. BTW, I landed in 2002 and currently working in the US.

1) PR Card application. I applied PR card last year. Wait a long time to get the letter to pick it up this Jan. But, could not make it. ASked a friend to call the PR card call center to reschedule the appointment. I cannot pick the date. They will set it for you. It took about 8 weeks for me to get the letter with new appointment date. Drove to Canada few days ago and picked up the card.

2) Driving cars with US license plate to Canada. I understand there is rule saying that Canadian cannot drive US cars into Canada. I called the Canadian customs once to confirm this. It is true. However, the officer I talked to said, if you can prove you have legal status, e.g H1b or F1, in the US and you are just going back to Canada for a short visit, you CAN drive your US card into Canada even you are a Canadian Citizen. Actually, I had drove US cars (own and rental) to Canada several times for various purposes, I've never got any problem or question about the cars I am driving.

These were just my personal experiences. Hope they can be helpful.

Thanks for the update it will help many who cannot pick up the PR card on particular date acceding to letter of CIC to pick up the card.

Would you please clear the below info:
1 what information you provided to your friend in Canada who spoke to CIC PR call center, did your provided complete name, DOB, date of landing or application for PR sending date. On which Telephone # he spoke
Did he rescheduled the next pick up date by phone only or he sent a letter signed by you, did he spoke as your Friend or as YOU on the phone to CIC
After how many days of sending your PR card application you received your FIRST letter to pick up your PR card.
Because “Murcury6” posed on other thread that he spoke to CIC and they said that you have to send fax to reschedule for the new date to pick up your card if you cannot pick up the card on particular date.
Would you post:
When did you apply for PR card?

When did you receive the first letter to Pick up the card?
What was the first pick up date?
When did your friend spoke to CIC?
What id did you take to pick up the card?
Where was your CIC pick up office Toronto area or some other area?
Thanks

I applied my PR card in Nov. 2002. Received my first letter for picking up around 8 weeks after I sent the application. My wife got her letter in 4 weeks, though. (we sent together).

The second letter came after about 8 weeks after my friend called to reschedule the appointment.

My friend pretended to be me when he called the Call Center since they will only talk to the person himself. What they asked are your name, client ID, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, address and telephone number in Canada which you used in your application. These should be all. I gave all my personal information to my friend and these were what he told me.

The phone number he used is the 800 number specified in the application.

Actually, my friend called them twice regarding the rescheduling. The first time was before I got the letter. I just would like to check what we need to do if I cannot pick up the card by the date they specified. The agent did say that I may need to send a fax to them to request the rescheduling. However, when I got the letter and my friend call them again for the actual rescheduling, the agent said they would send a message to local CIC office asking them to reschedule the appointment. So, I didn't send any fax or something else directly to CIC.

Hope this helps.

Just want to share this with all.
One of my friends received a letter from CIC (dated: 3/18/03) to pick up the PR card, and following is the highlighted content from the letter.

"Permanent Resident cards are available on FRIDAYS only. You must obtain the Permanent Resident Card within 60 days from receipt of this letter"

Untill recently they used to give a date/time for the PR card pickup, but this seems to be different which apparently is good for anyone not interested in crossing the border in the current scenario.

Any updates/contradictions welcome.

Godd info cc cc, that will help me as I have applied and have to leave Canada for a few months, in that case my brother can call CIC.

So more or less the conclusion is that:

1) they will reschedule the appointment
2) there is enough time till the 2nd appoitment for anybody to come back to Canada and do the needful.

As PalCan said, if they give a weekday with a certain limit (60 days) that is good enough...