TN vs EAD

cdnchris

Registered Users (C)
I haven't received my EAD but I'm hoping sometime in October I will.

My TN doesn't expire until the end of Nov. If I get my EAD (knock on wood) before the TN expiration date, should I just switch over to my EAD? I know with an EAD I can be employed almost anywhere but I'll be with the same company and I have no desire to go elsewhere, so that isn't an issue or concern.

Other than that one thing mentioned above I was just wondering if there is an advantage to either/or. Is it better to stay on my TN until it expires then use my EAD, or would it be better to just switch to the EAD before it expires? Or does it maybe not matter.

Hope that makes sense.

from your perspective it is totally irrelavent to use TN or EAD. The reason is that your TN right now is only useful for working, you can not use it to re-enter the US. The EAD will also only be useful for working and will not allow you to re-enter the US. Use which ever you wish, it is not important. HOwver whenever it is that you start using the EAD you must inform your employer and sign a new I-9 form.

Gunt is right. There is no advantage in that sense, unless you need to switch jobs, or get a second job. If you do neither, then wait until your TN is about to expire, then show your employer the EAD, or you can show the EAD the day you get it.