TN visa for biotech/biopharma

Jun85

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate advice regarding my situation.

Ive been working in the US for a year and a half under the "Biologist" section of the TN visa NAFTA agreement, although job duty wise, Im really a laboratory manager in a research institute.

I started to look for new job opportunities, specifically in the biotech/biopharma industry for a lab manager position. Could anyone let me which is the best title under the TN NAFTA agreement which I should best file under?

Also, another questions that been on the back of my head is what I should say if the officer asks me why Im pursuing another position in the US (i.e.: another/new TN visa application), since the TN is for temporary work purposes.

Thanks so much in advance for taking the time to read and comment

Are the requirements for lab manager those of a biologist (I somehow doubt it)? If not, then neither the job qualifies for TN (not under biology for certain, doubtful under any category), nor do you qualify for a TN for that job, so you need to get that ironed out first. Its not the job title that means anything, it is the type of work you are doing. If lab manager doesn't need to be a biologist, then how did you get your original TN? By not correctly describing your job duties?

as to your question about another job somehow not indicating temporary nature. Huh? The fact that you are changing jobs, shows that the previous job WAS temporary, and so is this one.

Apologist, I should clarify....duties are a combination of scientific research (actual bench work) and managerial duties (research assistant), which is why I fall under "biologist" right now.

Regarding the second question, I thought the whole notion of the TN visa was that the individual is working in the U.S. and at the end of the term, has intentions to come back to Canada (i.e.: short-term stay). If I get another job in the U.S., what are my grounds for staying in the U.S. Maybe Im misunderstanding something?

Many thanks for the comment!

Yes, you are misunderstanding the concept of "temporary nature" of TN.

You can remain at a TN job, or a series of TN jobs, for years, as many on this board have; it is simply that each TN petition can only last 3 years max. You are only required to leave when you are no longer in legal status.