TN visa cancelled, what are my options?

OttawaSenators

I figured your girlfriend was American - that was elementary. But getting married is a different process. You will possibly need a K visa, and while you are on this you will not be able to work if memory serves me correct and you won't be able to get a new TN. You better ask what you should do and how you should time this before doing anything or you'll find yourself walking up and down March road with your resume in hand until you can come back. There are others who have blown it. You should start another thread asking about this. And once you are married there will be travel restrictions.

simsd,

We've covered this. he is in US, on TN, so he is in the same situation as an EB green card applicant, when he submits his I-485 etc: he stays in US on TN until he gets EAD to work and AP to travel.

nelsona,

Look in his other thread where he asked you about filling out an I-539 to switch to B-2. He will be out of TN shortly as I believe he is losing his job - unless I misread or misunderstood something from before. Anyhow, that's why I said to start another thread.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone.

I'm concerned that they've added notes to my visa pointing out that they previous 2 shouldn't have been given to me. Thus making potentially making me "over staying my visa" a possibility if i stay behind to file my I-129. and banned from re entering ever to the US again for work.

All the border guard said was. "I am advising you at this time that your previous TN work visa's were given incorrectly and that you have till the end of this current one to leave the united states"

It's a bit too late for that, especially in this economy. It's not easy and not a good move to change your job in a bad economy.

I've never understood this thinking. To me, it smacks of giving up. Even in "this economy", there are plenty of firms that are doing well and plenty of people still have a job. We've gone from 96% of the eligible workforce having a job to 93%.

I don't see how there's a downside to looking for a new job; in the worst case, you simply don't find anything and you stay at your current position. However, there's a chance you WILL find something, and someone who can offer a GC.

TRC,

It is evident that OttawaSenators is very well off and can afford to to just hang out. So why chastise.

I already had a rant about "giving up" in this economy as I have been through this twice before but deleted it. If people want to bend over like a wet noodle then let them. Ottawa is very nice in February at -28C with a wind chill of -40.

BTW......one of the premises of the TN is that shifting from job to job is good because it show how each was temporary in nature and therefore is easily explainable to any employer and USCIS.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone.

I'm concerned that they've added notes to my visa pointing out that they previous 2 shouldn't have been given to me. Thus making potentially making me "over staying my visa" a possibility if i stay behind to file my I-129. and banned from re entering ever to the US again for work.

All the border guard said was. "I am advising you at this time that your previous TN work visa's were given incorrectly and that you have till the end of this current one to leave the united states"

Do the mail-in with Premium Processing the $1320 would be well worth the pain of having to restart life in Canada.

without the premium processing, the only issue is that i cannot leave the country until its either denied or approved correct? (still allowing me to stay working in the interm though)

trying for the premium processing would simply get it resolved before the 13th?

Webtiger,

So let me ask you this. If you find something, will you get approved?

Was it that you couldn't get the mistake corrected in time to make it to the job?

What about California?

Has the bank foreclosed? I know some of them are playing hardball, but when the rubber hits the road many are relenting. Are you with Wells? I heard from a friend of mine that's involved with them that they are a pain and he is going through exactly what you are going through with his business line of credit.

There are notes from my last disaster that I am not to be given a Sci-Tech TN so I think I'll just stay in Canada awhile and get my 4 year CIS degree finished that way the need for Sci-Tech vaporizes.
Based on my discussions at the University it won't take me much more than 4 terms to get the degree IF I successfully challenge 12 of the courses.
Besides, I have been fingerprinted at the WA/BC POE's so many times now under US-VISIT I have had enough.
Just spending an extra 30 minutes whle officers fumble around taking fingerprints is enough to drive even the most seasoned traveller batty!

Had nothing to do with a correctable mistake or lack of time I was adjudicated, denied and told not to re-apply as a Sci-Tech.
Clearly the officer and supervisor that day felt I was abusing the TN system or the Sci-Tech category or both.

The bank is winding its way to foreclosure which is why I have a very good realtor friend trying to short sell the house.
The house is on an FHA mortgage so if the bank agrees to a short sale they aren't out 100% of the difference between the sale price and the mortgage amount.
I'm filing Chapter 7 just in case FHA gets bitchy and finds a way to leave me responsible for the whole shortfall.
At this point I trust no US govt. agency is telling me the truth until I have verified the information from 2 different non-govt. sources.
I have been lied to enough the past 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
without the premium processing, the only issue is that i cannot leave the country until its either denied or approved correct? (still allowing me to stay working in the interm though)

trying for the premium processing would simply get it resolved before the 13th?

1. Yes
2. Submitting with PP means USDHS has 10 BUSINESS days to process the paperwork so if you got it there, say Tuesday Jan 6th, they have until Thursday Jan 20th to adjudicate the application.
I expect the would adjudicate in the first week though since they're on such a tight timeline.
You realize that the 240 day rule applies to both plain and PP mail-in applications right?

The issue was that my post secondary diploma was not from a course of a minimum of 2 years course.

Which school did you go to? My post secondary diploma was done in 1 year as an intensive course, which is the same course load as a 2 year associates degree.

curious george

I already sent justifun a PM explaining the mathematics of credits and how a two year can actually be equal to one year - which I believe they actually have more than a two year's worth of credits based on the info provided to me.

As most of us know it all has to do with the amount of time spent in the classroom - not the number of years spent at the institution.

Webtiger,

Can you do the schooling during the summer also?

What would you come back as?

I'm curious because while I'm on an H1-B, I am finishing my business degree with a major in information systems. I hope to do my MBA after that but that's a still a total of four years for the bachelor's and MBA.

Webtiger,

Can you do the schooling during the summer also?

What would you come back as?

I'm curious because while I'm on an H1-B, I am finishing my business degree with a major in information systems. I hope to do my MBA after that but that's a still a total of four years for the bachelor's and MBA.

Summer, Fall, Winter, Summer then hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll have the degree.

I was expecting to use the "Computer Systems Analyst" (CSA) TN class which I would be eligible for with a 2 yr CIS diploma from the University.
I still have to figure out if I want to go back into the US of A. All depends on how Obama does and where the current recession takes the country.

You get a Bachelor's in CIS and with years of exeperience I would highly recommend talking to your current employer about GC and some help with the MBA costs.
You'd be suprised how many employers, even in a recession, will foot the bill or pay something towards higher education.

I'm fine on that end -that's not a problem.

It's the EB-3 Purgatory that I hate. I just used up one year of it without getting the PERM done, but we are literally trying to place the ad in the paper today.

I think Obama will be good - he understands apples and oranges.

Like I said once before, you are not trying to go to Detroit to "Work on the line" at GM and "steal" jobs.

Most of the jobs we take are ones that can't be filled.

Case in point - CSA loses his job in New York and the only position he can find is in Washington State. He doesn't want to move to Washington state, so there you are, to happily step in.

I think if you can get all of the classes challenged and then the rest of the courses done, you are making a good decision. You could then do Master's here if you had wanted to and then if yo go for a GC it wold probably be current. (But I realize this is a ways off).

Hopefully Obama will fix the legal immigration mess in the near future.