TN to GC process

shevas

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I have a TN that expires in August 2009 and am exploring my option to file GC as my employer has agreed to the same.
My questions is, after this new TN visa 3 year validity, do the dynamics in terms of timeline of all the stages of GC change anything in the GC process? I have read the long post by Curious George(thanks curious George for the detailed explaination) and sort of understood the complicated process. I will be applying for my TN at the border in August of this year so will the time-line for GC stay the exact same or do I need to change anything?
Also is it beneficial to have a 3 yr TN while processing GC? I will have to file under the EB3 category so it is going to be a long journey through this.
I'd really appreciate if all of you knowledgeable folks can chime in on this.

The only benefit of the 3-years is that you aren't coming up against a deadline for TN renewal every year.

But the critical time period is still the 2-3 months prior to filing I-485 and the 3-4 months after. If due to quota, you are only able to file your I-485 when you have 2 months left on TN, the 3-year validity won't have done you much good. You willstill have to wait to file I-485, renew TN, and then file I-485.

So, of course TN makes life simpler... in temrs of TN renewal. But for GC, you still need 5 month window to get all your final GC paperwork done and your EAD and AP issued.