TN/TD Visa and non Canadian Spouse

muhammad_shahid

I would really appreciate if you could please reply me on the following query.

Query:
If I work on TN visa in USA, would my spouse get the visa who is not a canadian citizen or landed immigrant? Please note that the spouse is a Pakistani citizen and residing in Pakistan.

Thanks

muhammad_shahid said:
If I work on TN visa in USA, would my spouse get the visa who is not a canadian citizen or landed immigrant? Please note that the spouse is a Pakistani citizen and residing in Pakistan.

There is no requirement that a TD holder be a Canadian citizen or PR. However, there are two potential complications - first, that the consulate in Karachi might not be familiar with the TD, and second, that the consular officer might question her leaving the US at the end of the TD, since she cannot go to Canada with you.

Hello, I am in the same situation as muhammed shahid, I am on TN in US since dec 2006, and planing to get married in pakistan this year some time. And i am looking into TD visa for her.
Any suggestion, how should i prepare for that. How long it usually take ?
What document i should have ?
Plus any suggestion about the two potential complications mentioned by TheRealCanadian ?

thanks

Hello, I am in the same situation as muhammed shahid, I am on TN in US since dec 2006, and planing to get married in pakistan this year some time. And i am looking into TD visa for her.
Any suggestion, how should i prepare for that. How long it usually take ?
What document i should have ?
Plus any suggestion about the two potential complications mentioned by TheRealCanadian ?

I had a friend whose wife (cdn PR) applied for a TD in India. Since the consulate did not know much about it, they called her at a later date and the visa was issued. The documents needed were: TN authorization of the spouse, marriage certificate, his latest pay stubs.

I am not sure about the complications mentioned by the RealCdn..

Since TN/TD are non-immigrant statuses, a non-PR spouse of a Canadian citizen may get a tough time when applying in countries like Pakistan and India. Reason being, what proof do they have that they will leave the US once their spouse ends his/her TN authorized stay? Not holding PR status takes away Canada as "place of abode" for such applicants. I am not saying that such a scenario would surely lead to a denial of TD visa, but it may. Canadian spouses should concentrate on getting PR for their spouses and then applying for TD visas. Such spouses will not risk their PR status as long as they accompany their Canadian spouse in the US.

Triple Citizen said:
Since TN/TD are non-immigrant statuses, a non-PR spouse of a Canadian citizen may get a tough time when applying in countries like Pakistan and India. Reason being, what proof do they have that they will leave the US once their spouse ends his/her TN authorized stay? Not holding PR status takes away Canada as "place of abode" for such applicants. I am not saying that such a scenario would surely lead to a denial of TD visa, but it may. Canadian spouses should concentrate on getting PR for their spouses and then applying for TD visas. Such spouses will not risk their PR status as long as they accompany their Canadian spouse in the US.
I am for sure planing to apply for her PR status after wedding. Thing is PR process going to take 6 months. So i though if she can come to US on TD right after we get married and from US i will apply for her Canada immigration. This way she don't need to wait for PR in Pakistan. She can join with me in few week form wedding.

Is there a any way that i can satisfy them that I am going to start her Canadian immigration from US and before her TD expires she will be Canadian PR.

Or

Can i start her PR process based on Phone Marriage (Phone Nikha), I was in pakistan April 2006 when we did our engagement ceremony, if that can be helpful.

I want that if possible in any way so that she don't need to wait in Pakistan for Canadian immigration after the wedding.

Should i consider converting to H1-B, given that my company willing to sponsor my H1-B. and then apply for her H4.

Thanks

PR for spuse of citizen

Hafshik,
I recently applied for PR for my spouse while in the US and it took 16 weeks from mailing the application to receiving her immigrant visa. Spouses of Canadian citizens are adjudicated pretty quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Triple Citizen said:
Hafshik,
I recently applied for PR for my spouse while in the US and it took 16 weeks from mailing the application to receiving her immigrant visa. Spouses of Canadian citizens are adjudicated pretty quickly.
Can i apply for my spouse based on Phone Nikha ?

and what nationality your spouse has ? I believe she is US citizen ?
16 weeks sounds like really fast. It might be because she is US citizen.

thanks

My wife is a US citizen (of Pakistani origin). However I don't think that was the main reason it took such a short time. We were married and living together for 3.5 years when I applied. I think that was the most important factor.

Triple Citizen said:
My wife is a US citizen (of Pakistani origin). However I don't think that was the main reason it took such a short time. We were married and living together for 3.5 years when I applied. I think that was the most important factor.
Thanks