TN re-entry denial

Dntax

During a trip to my home country, I was refused re-entry to the USA under my (then) current TN status. I was made to sign a sworn statement (I-867) and withdrawal (I-275) and turned around. They informed me that this would not affect future entry to the USA as long as I have the proper documentation that matches my duties and that I should have my employer file a petition (green card?). I had been under TN status for over 10 years, but not all with the same company. I just want to know what options I have going forward. Is there anything I need to do ASAP to avoid penalty?

I had obtained it a few months prior upon entry. The duties/title did not match what was on the original TN.

So, what did the officer do? Look up your old TN? What docs were you carrying with you when you crossed?
Normally, once your TN is granted, there is no more scrutiny at the border, other to (a) ensure that you are still working, and (b) you haven't exhibited immigrant intent. One doesn't typically carry any docs from the original petition, just the case number.
What did you do/say that triggered him to investigate?

In any event, there is no "penalty" involved. You simply cannot enter US (or work in US) until you resolve this issue of your TN. You can ignore the advice to file for green card, you and your employer are under no obligation to do this.

I would think you need to iron out the supposed difference between your petition and the info that the officer is looking at.