TN questions...

Steph-82

Hey there,

Just had a few questions regarding the TN status. I'm Canadian, and a full time employment offer in Minnesota. My new employer is anxious for me to start working, as am I!
Can I get TN status even though I don't have a degree? If so, do I have to leave the country and request TN status when I come back, or is there another way to obtain this?
What exactly do I need to present in order to be approved for this?

Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!

Hey Steph -- need more info before we can answer....

Is it that you dont have a degree OR that you dont have a degree relevant to the job for which you have an offer OR that you have done your coursework but are waiting for the degree to be granted by the university?

What are your educational qualifications? What is the title of your job and which TN classification are you seeking?

Of course!! I appreciate any help!

I do not have a university degree. I have a college certificate, as well as years of relevant work experience which my employer accepts. I am being offered a position of HR Assistant in an assisted living facility. I have approximately 9 years experience in healthcare, 18 years experience in customer service, with some years in a similar role to what I'm being offered.
I wasn't aware there were classifications for TN status, but I suppose I'd fall into the "general" category.
Bottom line is that I have a pretty great opportunity, and an employer who is fully supportive in getting me started to work at her facility. I just want to make sure that we are doing everything properly. I've never done anything like this before and it's pretty overwhelming!
I will be returning to Canada on February 28, and if there is a way to get TN status while I'm still here, I'd like to take that route, if possible.
Again, I greatly appreciate the help with this!!

You missed giving us the key info: What TN category is your request under?
HR is not a valid TN category. There is no "general" category. TN is for specific fields. While you may be a great employee, and have a willing sponsor, So, you will not be eligible for TN. Sorry.

Here is a site which gives the categories.
http://grasmick.com/nafta.htm

Last edited:
Not really. Your only TN option is under the Management Consultant category, but that would require an imaginative lawyer to come up with how you qualify for that, and would have to be for more than an assistant's job. You could try to have employer sponsor you for a lottery h1-B (in April for next October, and very few make it), but without a degree it is unlikely to qualify (although experience may count) . it is also expensive for the employer to petition (needs lawyer, especially for a borderline qualification).
Your job just doesn't qualify for these programs, let alone your lack of a degree.