TN Officers Asking for More Info Than Necessary

Berkshire

Hi all,

I have had terrible experiences applying for the TN visa recently. The officers asked for documents and information that are stated NO WHERE as necessary for a TN. They wanted me to show, for instance:

company tax filings
incorporation docs
payroll info
picture of home office

They also questioned why I was hired over a domestic person, how many employees are at the firm, why my salary wasn't higher, and all sorts of other questions that shouldn't have any bearing on whether the TN is approved or not. Other people I know have also been asked these questions and told to come back with these documents in hand. I've even been told to prove that I have the necessary skills to do the job!

From my understanding, this is *not* normal. Is there anything that can be done about these officers abusing their power?

Not really. You can ask for their supervisor, and you can ask why they suspect fraud on the part of the firm.
Presuambly, if you were denied, they handed you a sheet with what they deem was missing (if they denied you). You could take that to a lawyer who could prepare a letter telling them why they should not ask for these things, but would that get youy a TN(?)

There is no need to prove your abilities, nor that you are not displacing a US worker. They can ask about the firm (but they should be asking the firm, not you -- that's why you provide a contact). And they can question salary in order to determine if you are truly doing the job they say you are, or some lower-level non-professional tasks.

Otherwise, they were just trying to rile you, and having a bad day/week/month.

If they didn't deny you, then obviously this info was not required.