TN for Data Scientist with Engineering degree

orion216

Hi,

I have a Bachelor of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and an offer for Data Scientist title. I received a recommendation that Data Scientist is a hard sell with Engineering degree, as the most common degrees are Statistician, Maths, Computer Science.

1/ How's everyone's experience with Data Scientist title and Engineering degree ? Did you face scrutiny and how did you solve ?
2/ I am advised by lawyer to change the title to Machine learning Engineer to fit into Software Engineering or Computer Engineering TN category and match with my degree. Is Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree accepted for Software Engineering category ?
3/ Is it necessary to refer to Software Engineering anywhere, as a category ? The category in TN list is just Engineer in general. I'm afraid introducing SE somewhere will raise red flag as I don't have related degree such as Computer Science.
4/ Software Engineer (or just Engineer in general) allows coding. In that case, can I say programming and coding as part of the job, without facing red flags ? I've read so much that programming and coding are no-no words. Is it also true for Engineer, or only Computer System Analyst needs to avoid those terms ?
The wordings that I think of using are : designing, engineering , architecting machine learning solution and platform. Some of those can be tied to coursework. Lastly, programming and coding (or not, to be avoided ?)
5/ It's my understanding that CSA category is a no in this scenario. Engineering seems more relevant.

Thanks.

Last edited:
1. Your question on such a specific experience is unlikely to get a response.
2-3. There is only an "Engineering" category for TN. The job title can indeed have be more specific, but as such, you need to prove that the job is an engineering job, not merely call it an engineering job.
4. Your initial title suggests non-engineering, as would the job description. Trying to shoe-horn the description into the Engineering category will be noticed. As will cherry-picking words for your job description to match some of your non-engineering courses to meet CSA category. Programmer should be avoid in almost any category.
5, As you pointed out the job you are seeking is a Math job, and you have engineering degree. Regardless of how the sponsor's lawyer tries to wordsmith your petition, it will be a hard sell at the border. But you can only try.

1. Your question on such a specific experience is unlikely to get a response.
2-3. There is only an "Engineering" category for TN. The job title can indeed have be more specific, but as such, you need to prove that the job is an engineering job, not merely call it an engineering job.
4. Your initial title suggests non-engineering, as would the job description. Trying to shoe-horn the description into the Engineering category will be noticed. As will cherry-picking words for your job description to match some of your non-engineering courses to meet CSA category. Programmer should be avoid in almost any category.
5, As you pointed out the job you are seeking is a Math job, and you have engineering degree. Regardless of how the sponsor's lawyer tries to wordsmith your petition, it will be a hard sell at the border. But you can only try.
Thanks @nelsona

2-4. For people in the field, Data Scientist and Machine Learning Engineer are very much the same thing. Think of it as how people use AI/Machine Learning/Data Science interchangeably, or Software Engineer/Developer/Programmer. Prospective manager is ok with using the ML Engineer title.
No need to tailor the job description, just the title. Tasks are similar to Software Engineer where you are responsible for the entire life cycle of an ML product : requirement gathering, design, engineer, analyze, build, test, deploy an ML solution.

I've just read that even SE should avoid programming or coding .

5. Exactly why I consider Engineer title, as Data Scientist is confusing and steers towards Stats, Maths. People outside the field (e.g. CBP) may think of it as different altogether