TN Border Denial Article

this has already been posted. This guy has been on a TN for over 10 years, has kids and built his life in the U.S.. what i dont understand is why has he not gone for his green card so there would never be a question, he would have had it a looonng time ago.

it seems like all these stories are coming out of B.C.

Good story.

The only issue I quibble with is that much stress was made that he wasn't taking an American's job.

Who cares? It simply doesn't matter if there are a million qualified Americans for a TN job, or none. If your qualify for a TN, you get a TN.

Good story.

The only issue I quibble with is that much stress was made that he wasn't taking an American's job.

Who cares? It simply doesn't matter if there are a million qualified Americans for a TN job, or none. If your qualify for a TN, you get a TN.

I hate that many people argue that because there are other Americans qualified for the job that we are taking their jobs. In many cases, qualifying for a job doesn't make you the best candidate for the job. A ford focus will take me from A to B, and yet most people still prefer a corolla. Might not be the best analogy, but in many cases you want the best you can get.

I was shocked by reading the story, it made me really sad because I am potentially in the same loop as Mr. Gibbons. It can happen to anyone these days who is here under TN. The government can do what they want and crush your whole life in a minute. Going thru annual renewals or new TN's at the border or sending mail-in extensions is not a pleasant experience.

I hate that many people argue that because there are other Americans qualified for the job that we are taking their jobs. In many cases, qualifying for a job doesn't make you the best candidate for the job. A ford focus will take me from A to B, and yet most people still prefer a corolla. Might not be the best analogy, but in many cases you want the best you can get.

Again, it doesn't even matter if you are the best or worst qualified. For TN at any rate, there is only qualified or not.

Green Card is another issue, where best doesn't count. 4 US wheels and a US engine are all that count. You're analogy is certainly apt for that situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they definatly should have had him on the Green Card route if he was that valuable. I'm just curious if he had never had a marijuana conviction at all if any of this would have happened at all?

Well it definatly shows the dangers of border hopping as well if you did get a denial (valid or not). I have been through that though being told I'm in the wrong catagory, go back and change it (my first TN), then switching to a different catagory for my 2nd. Then years later, being told by an inexperieced border guard, that my job isn't under Urban Planning at all with my degree (though he did find it under a sub grouping eventually).

But goes to show, even if you have a valid TN, you're not always automatically going to get back into the US...

But goes to show, even if you have a valid TN, you're not always automatically going to get back into the US...

Yes, that is the best take-away form the article. It also reminds one that the 3-year TN that everyone is clamouring will not solve this problem.

Okay we all know that border hopping is not a good idea but what should you do if you are denied re-entry when travelling on a valid TN? Aside from contacting your employer.

this has already been posted. This guy has been on a TN for over 10 years, has kids and built his life in the U.S.. what i dont understand is why has he not gone for his green card so there would never be a question, he would have had it a looonng time ago.

it seems like all these stories are coming out of B.C.

The Seattle Port District seems to be the most experimental of all the districts/ports posters here use on a regular basis.
I have no idea why this region is so radically different about application of law regarding TN applications but they've been this way since I started coming in on TN's in 1997.
It only gets worse as time goes on and especially during an election year.
I'm doing a mail-in for my August renewal and I'm paying for my family to come visit from Canada for the Canada Day/Independence Day holiday week.
It's far cheaper to do that than chance a re-ajudication a BC/WA POE.

I feel for this man but, as other posters have mentioned, his US employer bears a large burden of responsibility for this situation for not getting him into a GC years ago.

I wouldn't EVER go to a Canadian POE anymore to renew my TN. First time a couple of years ago, the officer spent a good deal of time looking for a confirmation in his computer that a bachelor degree was not required for Systems Analyst position. I didn't have my evaluated master transcript then and only attached a Canadian college diploma to my paperwork. Next year I was driving a truck to move my stuff to Florida and several immigration officers at the POE stared at me like I was a criminal or something. They asked me the same question when I said that I visited Canada on vacation and to pick up my personal stuff: "Why are you moving now, not before?" Like we are supposed to grab all our stuff and move to the States immediately after getting the first TN???? They searched my truck, didn't find anything unusual and let me go. I agree, every visit to the immigration is a Russian roulette, you never know what mood the officer is in today or what crawled up his butt. He or she can ruin your life easily and there are no repercussions to their actions. Though most are cool, some are real jerks and act like mini-dictators that make up their own regulations on the fly.
Some friend of mine travels to Mexico to get his TN and was never intimidated there besides having to stay overnight and wait a long line with Mexicans at the POE. I have been to Bahamas twice and have very good impressions there. Last time it took around 40 min (that made me pretty nervous actually) and the lady asked me extra questions about my college diploma. Though the diploma and transcript was from Canada and in English, she thought that it had to be evaluated in the US. But it went well and the officers were cool. No guarantee that it will stay the same in the future, it looks like getting TN status becomes a pain and the immigration tries to make our lives even more miserable.
But, honestly, I have no clue what the hell is wrong with Canadian POEs, why so many people like us who are invited by companies to work for them, companies that really cannot find someone locally... and we bring our knowledge and skills to the States, change our whole lives to the new venues and challenges, and just one day everything to be ruined by some immigration clerk???? We pay taxes, contribute to the society, abide the laws... do we deserve to be intimidated and humiliated????

IMHO, the on-going US presidential election has a subtle effect on many border inspectors handling the TN application.

Not to scare anyone, but a friend of my wife who works for US Homeland Security said the agency was developing a contingency plan in case the NAFTA will be re-negotiated.

Luci, you may prefer to get mail-in, but soetimes that will be impossible, and -- as the case in question -- indicated, that does not stop the CBP from keeping you out on a whim.

IMHO, the on-going US presidential election has a subtle effect on many border inspectors handling the TN application.

Not to scare anyone, but a friend of my wife who works for US Homeland Security said the agency was developing a contingency plan in case the NAFTA will be re-negotiated.

Already have my back-up plan, does not include moving back to Canada, in place if NAFTA gets re-negotiated and TN's become more stringent.

Just print or buy this edition of Economist and travel with it.
In case of problems show it to border guards:
http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11016270

Truth of the matter is "empire is slowly falling". It is only too bad politicians in this country do not want to see it and do not care about it.

I live in California and if not for the weather I would've been probably gone already.
Possible destinations: Europe, maybe UAE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luci, you may prefer to get mail-in, but soetimes that will be impossible, and -- as the case in question -- indicated, that does not stop the CBP from keeping you out on a whim.

How about applying TN both at POE and by mail? Or try to apply by mail five months before TN expires, and if any problem arises, rush to the border to fix the problem?

Just print or buy this edition of Economist and travel with it.
In case of problems show it to border guards:
http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11016270

Truth of the matter is "empire is slowly falling". It is only too bad politicians in this country do not want to see it and do not care about it.

I live in California and if not for the weather I would've been probably gone already.
Possible destinations: Europe, maybe UAE.

I 100% agree on that article!!! Excellent one, thanks for the link, Ertes.

Too bad that the US is losing its touch with reality and going down the slope... Why hiding the truth really? The US is a 21st century Roman Empire that is slowly falling and maybe way past the point of return. Maybe it's time to seriously think about a backup plan, like European Union?