TN application, first timer questions....

Jill_igby

Registered Users (C)
Have a quick question. (bit about me...I am going to POE to get TN status in January 2009... this is the very first time I am applying and gathering all the documents)

I found this list from http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html#6

* Request for admission under TN status to Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection, U.S. immigration officer; ( Is this the TN letter? I made my future employer sign this letter and has everything needed on it.
* Employment Letter - Evidence of professional employment. if the previous one is TN letter ... what should I bring for this?
* Proof of professional qualifications, such as transcripts of grades, licenses, certificates, degrees, and/or records of previous employment; no questions on this
* Proof of ability to meet applicable license requirements;No questions on this
* Proof of Canadian citizenship- Canadian citizens may present a passport, as visas are not required, or they may provide secondary evidence, such as a birth certificate. However, Canadian citizens traveling to the United States from outside the Western Hemisphere are required to present a valid passport at the port-of-entry; No questions on this
* Fee of U.S. $50No questions on this

Thanks in advance...

Jill

1. I am on F2 right now. If they reject my TN request will they cancel my F2 as well? Based on that now I have intention to work.

2. if they cancel my F2, can I re-enter the next day or same day as tourist?

Your F2 will not be affected by failure of your TN petition, so long as the reason for denial is not you personally (ie. security or immig intent). Intention to work is not a valid reason for denial.

If you were denied entry on TN and/or F2, you would likley be denied entry on tourist status (B2) for the same reason. Also, unless you have maintained residentail ties in canada, you are ineligible for B2 unless and until you re-establish Cdn ties (lease, utilities, car plates, etc).

I am going to the border tomorrow morning at 7am.
Here are the list of documents...I just want to make I have everything.
1. TN Letter for 2 years
2. My diploma
3. Transcripts
4. Resume (couple of past employment letters as to back up my resume)
5. Passport
6. Marriage certificate (as my husband is in USA on F1)
7. Some bank account statements such as Retirement account investments. I was thinking this will sort of proof that I have some tie back to Canada.

If there is anything else is missing PLEASE let me know.

Thank you.

4 and 7 are superfluous.
6 is only if you fail to get TN.

Present 1,2 and 5 alone. Then present what they ask for.

I got my TN status yesterday morning.
Thank you very much for your help!!

They only asked for 1,2,3 and 5. Nothing else and the whole process took about 15 minutes. I got the I-94 slip. What do I do with the I-94 that I had for F2. Is it canceled or valid? If I get fired, hypothetically, I can I stay in USA with that F2 I-94?

Congratulations Jill!

My understanding is that it is illegal to hold 2 different statuses as the same time. I would have thought that they would have removed your old I-94 and replaced it with a TN stamped I-94. Did you present your F2 I-94 with your passport?

If you don't mind, what POE did you apply at?

Al

Jill,

Geez - you just got the thing - why are you worried about getting laid off?

There are other avenues for you if that occurs.

To reuse the F2, you would need to go back to the border and enter on it. So, it is simply a piece of paper at this point.

But Jill... chill.

Alta Al,

1. I went to Peace Bridge (Fort Erie, Ontario).
2. "My understanding is that it is illegal to hold 2 different statuses as the same time". Is this true? They didn't ask about it.

I will create another post about how I prepared for it and the whole process step by step, it might be helpful for others.

Thanks

It is not "illegal". But, it is quite literally impossible.

As your status is an ENTRY status, you can only ENTER in one status. Thus what I said above: "To reuse the F2, you would need to go back to the border and enter on it."

Since the basis for F2 remains (marriage to F1) there is no problem having the I-94 in your posession, for potential use later.

I-94 for F2, I-94 for 1st TN and another I-94 for 2nd TN

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I last visited this forum... Happy new year and hope you all had a great holidays.

As mentioned in this forum I have multiple I-94s on hand and I thought I should ask your opinion on what I should be doing with them.

As subject indicated I currently possess THREE I-94s. Initially I came to USA on F2 and I applied for 1st TN then I got better job after 2 weeks and went to get 2nd TN. I-94 for F2 was never taken from me when I got the I-94 with 1st TN. Two weeks later I went to get 2nd TN and got another I-94.

My husband's F1 is expiring and he is renewing it without my name on it, which makes sense coz I am in TN now and working.

I took NELSONA's word on possessing, under my circumstances, I-94 for F2 should be fine although I am on TN status.

However I feel like I should do something about this. When and how or what should I do with I-94 for F2, I-94 for 1st TN (no longer employed for this company)?

Please advice. Can I go to the airport to drop them off? I did that one time when I was living in Canada.

Thanks.

The requirement to turn in I-94 is to prove that you left US in a timely manner; since issuance of a new I-94 by CBP can only be done while entering US (after having obviously been outside US), then the issuance of subsequent I-94s before the previous one expired is sufficient proof that you left in a timely fashion. Keep them in your files for future GC process.

The real need to turn in I-94 occurs for those who have left US without handing in I-94 and are not returning. Then DHS has no way of knowing that you left. so, if you were sitting in Canada, I'd be telling you to send all these I-94s here (after making a copy of them):

ACS –INS SBU
P.O. BOX 7125
LONDON, KY 40742-7125

You don't have to do this, but if you feel you must, I'd mail them rather than going to an airport.

Thanks Nelsona,

I will hold on to them.
Maybe I will give them to customs when I travel to overseas this summer.

Jill