Timeline for San Jose office?

yan_yanl

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Does anyone has timeline information and experiences for San Jose office?

I filed I130 & I485 in July, got FP and EAD in August.

Thanks!

I applied at the San Jose office.

July 31/03 submitted application

August 28/03 went to office and received EAD (took about 10 minutes)

August 29/03 fingerprints

September 18/03 received Social Security #

December 17/03 received letter for AOS interview

Thanks for the replies, Sachinphadke & Laicey.

Laicey - Our cases are very close in terms of timeline. I haven't received any notice for interview yet. Let's keep each other posted.

Yan

That's good to hear yan_yanl . Seems like we are still pretty close to the same time line for San Jose! Good luck with your interview!

San Jose Timelines

Hi I submitted my AOS and EAD forms to the san jose office last week. I put the package in the drop-in box late at night and am getting a little worried that someone might have stolen it.

Does one get any receipt notice that the form has been picked up by USCIS office? Is there any way that I can call them and find this out?

Thanks

Anil

I used the drop box at the San Jose location when I submitted my papers. I didn't hear anything from them for about 2 weeks. If you wrote checks, keep checking to see if they have gone through your bank. I didn't receive anything until they cashed the money orders I submitted, then all I received from them was a letter telling me when to come in for my EAD.

I had my AOS interview Wednesday morning. It was scheduled for 11 am. Didn't get called in for interview until 12:00, took about 15 minutes. The officer swore both of us in. The officer that interviewed me asked us very basic questions, my name, my parents name, childrens names, current address. Looked at my passport, birth certificate, husbands birth certificate, the letter from my employer. Glanced through the rest of the papers I had brought with me, asked for copies of some of them and said he needed a couple days to get everything in order and asked if I could come back Monday morning and bring my passport and my EAD card. The officer asked what time would be convienent for me, said it would only take 10 to 15 minutes and if I was scheduled to work that day just to have my husband bring in those two documents. He stated they needed my EAD back that I couldn't have my passport stamped and keep the EAD card.
He put a note on the same letter I received for my interview and said to bring it with us Monday morning, otherwise we may have problems getting through the front door. Actually the hardest part of the interview was getting through security. I had forgotten about my manicure set, had a chocolate bar in my purse and we both had picture cell phones, they asked my husband to run all our "contraband" items back to our vehicle before allowing him in the building.
All in all it was a very positive experience and everyone at the San Jose office was very upbeat and professional.

Havent heard anything from San Jose office?

I applied for marriage based Green Card - Dec 11th.

Money withdrawn from my bank account on 12/26.

I have not yet received any receipt from the INS office? Should I be worried? What are the expected timelines?

Also, does anyone know the telephone number to the INS office in SAn Jose or can I take an appointment?

Thanks

This was my time line as I previously posted. I never heard anything from the San Jose office for about 3 weeks after I submitted my papers. Then it was in a letter telling me to come for my EAD. they had stapled my receipt for payment to the letter. They had set up an appointment in the letter, which I took with me and didn't have to wait in the long line up.

July 31/03 submitted application

Received receipt and letter for EAD about August 21 and fingerprint letter within a day or two of EAD.

August 28/03 went to office and received EAD (took about 10 minutes)

August 29/03 fingerprints

September 18/03 received Social Security #

December 17/03 received letter for AOS interview

Interview successful, received stamp in my passport. On January 5 received welcome letter to USA with information saying I should receive my green card card within 3 weeks. I received my card on January 14 in the mail, with instructions to renew it in 10 years.

Everything went very smooth at the San Jose office and all the people there were very friendly and professional.

Hi Laicey,

Congratulations! I have my AOS interview in the first week of Feb. The letter from INS says that we need to bring all originals and also a copy of the medical exam. We had submitted the medical exam results with our original Application in Jul 2003, and now I cannot find a copy of the Medical report. just wanted to know if you took a copy of the medical exam report with you, and if you were asked during the interview to submit it?

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards
helpmeimmi

They had insisted I submit my "sealed" medical report when I applied in July, I only had the copies left. At the interview they had my originals and all they asked me was if I was still in good health.
Basically all they asked was to see my passport, my EAD and my birth certificate and our marriage certificate. They looked at our income tax for the past 3 years, and took the copies of our admended returns. I had photocopied utility bills, bank statements, had support letters from his family and some friends which they glanced over and never requested copies. I took everything that had both of our names connected, didn't want to chance them asking for something that I had neglected. One thing they checked on the income tax returns was that there were copies of W2 for each year. (We were missing one for the second year, I told him I could get a copy and was told it wasn't necessary).
It all went smooth, including receiving my plastic green card within 3 weeks of my interview.
Hope all goes as well for you!

EAD interview

I have just received a letter to collect my EAD from the San Jose office. As I applied through marriage to a US citizen, does my wife have to be present at the time of collection of the EAD?

Thanks

No, she doesn't have to be present. Make sure you take the letter you received to get your EAD with you, along with your passport and other Identification. Show your letter to Security and they will direct to you the waiting area for EAD.
It was pretty straight forward, took less than 10 minutes for me at the San Jose office.

Hi,

I got my approval yesterday! This website has been extremely helpful in all the phases of this process. Just wanted to post my experience:
Application Receipt Date: 09/04/03
Finger Printing: 10/26/03
EAD: 10/26/03
AOS Interview date: 02/03/04

The process was pretty straight forward for me. The only advise I would give is that prepare well while applying and for the interview. I had applied in the San Jose office and would suggest If you have the time then go personally to the office and get the application reviewed. Before applying we did not know that San Jose office does not accept applications in person (you can either mail the applications or use the drop box).. so we ended up standing in a line for 1.5hrs only to find out that we have to use the drop box. However that turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as the officer at the window agreed to review my documents and told us a few corrections to be made.
After the application was submitted the process was straight forward, we got a letter for finger printing and EAD in about 5 weeks and the appointment in 6 months. We had prepared well for the interview, had three files filled with documents (Original copies of all Certificates; Proof of bonafide marriage: credit cards, joint bank statements, check book with both our names, care registration, health and car insurance; and W2/Returns for the last three years), our pictures and cards from friends.
We walked into the interview room and were sworn in. The interviewer was precise and to the point. He asked us simple questions on how we met and if the marriage is still going fine. Within ten minutes, he said that he would give me the approval today, my EAD was taken away and a stamp was put on the passport. I was told that the actual card would be mailed in 2-6 months.
Over all the San Jose office was very professional and helpful (even the security guard was very polite).

Thanks again to this forum and its participants (Sachin, SWaiting and all others) for helping me out all the way.

helpmeimmi

Congratulations!
Sounds like you had the same kind of response from San Jose office as I did, pretty painless. I was told same time frame,2 to 6 months, for receiving my GC, and actual time was about 3 weeks! First I received a letter of Welcome from the Department of Justice and a few days later the actual GC.

helpmeimmi,

congratulations on your permanent resident status bud.
Hope to see you around this forum helping others with any questions they may have.

Enjoy the day.