time in canada counted or not?

luckysnow

Registered Users (C)
After got green card, we need to stay in US for 5 years, each year stay at least 183 days to keep the status and be eligible to become citizens. My question is: if we work in Canada for 3 years after we got green card, will the time counted in the 183 days or we lose our status?

Originally posted by luckysnow
After got green card, we need to stay in US for 5 years, each year stay at least 183 days to keep the status and be eligible to become citizens. My question is: if we work in Canada for 3 years after we got green card, will the time counted in the 183 days or we lose our status?
Canada is a sovereign country, not a part of United States. Any time spent in Canada is exactly like spending time in any other country as far as citizenship /residency requirements are concerned.

nkm-oct23

What if he/she works in CA, but lives in the US . What if he/she gets a commuter status? Does it make a diff?

Originally posted by Rahul Kumar
nkm-oct23

What if he/she works in CA, but lives in the US . What if he/she gets a commuter status? Does it make a diff?
I am not completely familiar with commuter status but I am sure that there are special regulations to cover it. The important thing is to live in the US for the required period of time. Here is an extract from the guide to naturalization:
When counting the number of days you have been out of the country, include ALL trips you have taken outside of US. This included short trips and trips to Canada and Mexico.
Generally partial days spent in US count as whole day spent in the US.

Last edited by a moderator: