This is our chance-action needed

jjusa

Registered Users (C)
All,

We have whined here forever about the 10K cap and about how nobody gave a damn about us.

Now the U.S House has voted to abolish this cap. The bill now moves to the next stage of the legislative process.

AILA and other groups will be fighting against the more controversial elements of this bill. They probably would not have the energies to argue for the elimination of the adjustment cap.

So nobody is left to represent our interests. Only we can do that. We really need to get organized to have a political voice. Strength comes in numbers and there are at least 160,000 of us around the country. We have to explain to lawmakers as to why prompt adjustment is important to us and is good for the country. It is up to us to make the case.

Congress has never come that close to do away with the cap. If we let this chance slip by, they probably will not come that close again for a long time.

Proposing draft letter to fax to our senators

Hey, I agree this is the time to raise our voices.

I am suggesting that each of us sends a letter to the appropriate senator/congressman. If we do this as a massive act, I think it will make our congressmen to take it into consideration when they debate on this bill next week.

Please have a look at the draft letter below and let me know if you have any changes/comments. We can finalize the draft and start faxing it.

LET'S SPEAK UP!!!
----

ImmigrationPortal.Com
Community for Information,
Action and Reform

February 10, 2005

RE: Amendment on Asylee Adjustment Cap - H.R. 418 Bill (REAL ID Act)
as the relief for innocent victims of unreasonable I-485 processing delay

Dear Honorable Senator/Congress(wo)man;

ImmigrationPortal.org is a non-profit organization formed by members of legal immigrant community, who intend to voice their concerns about and help contribute towards legal immigration reform in the United States of America.

We want to draw your attention to the excruciatingly slow and random progress of Asylee Adjustment I-485 applications (Green Card applications) at Nebraska Service Center. We are happy that the congress men like you have put enough pressure on US CIS (formerly known as INS) to reduce the backlog of immigration applications. We are also very pleased that the above-mentioned bill has passed the House, and we as a community of asylees with pending adjustment applications urge you to support this bill to pass the Senate and become a law after the President’s approval. This is the long-awaited solution by more than 150,000 lawful residents of this country that will address a tremendous adjustment petition backlog.

As you may know, our current legislation imposes a numerical cap of 10,000 annually that limits the number of asylees who may become permanent residents, regardless of the number granted asylum each year. As a result, more than 150,000 individuals lawfully granted asylum in the United States are currently waiting to have their applications for lawful permanent residence status processed. While they are waiting, these individuals are forced to remain in a legal limbo for many years. These are tax-paying legal residents of the United States, contributing daily to the economic development of this great country. More expeditious granting of permanent resident status and eligibility for naturalization for asylees would therefore not increase the level of immigration to the United States. It only would hasten the integration into our society of deserving individuals, to whom the U.S. already has extended its protection.

The amendment to this Bill will lift the cap on the number of asylees who can adjust to permanent resident status each year. That cap is now so low that an asylee who applies today for a green card can expect to wait at least 15 years to become a legal permanent resident.

We urge Congress to vote for the H.R. 418 Bill and strongly support the elimination of the annual cap on the adjustment of status of asylees (found in Section 209(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act).

We do understand that the proposed Bill also tightens procedures for non-citizen entry into and presence in the United States, facilitates the building of physical barriers where appropriate to protect U.S. borders, and facilitates the strengthening by the States of the standards for the security and integrity of drivers’ licenses.

We do believe that these are all reasonable measures in lieu of National Security improvement strategy. We are aware of the fact that several organizations around the country opposed these provisions. We urge you not to oppose this bill and not to sacrifice a very critical provision to rescind asylee adjustment caps. We believe that there are other measures that could be realized without compromising the whole amendment to ensure the changes do not unintentionally create new barriers to asylum and other forms of immigration to USA. Asylees with pending adjustment application already have been screened through a rigorous process of asylum approval; they deserve to get an adjustment in a reasonable timeline and should not suffer because of proposed tight measures for future asylum applicants/illegal immigrants.

We will be looking forward to favorable action from you to support the H.R. 418 Bill in the Senate. The United States Congress is our only hope of justice in this land of fairness, rest with a representative like you.

Sincerely,
(my signature)
(my name)
(my address)
(my contact information)

---

One thing though. The provision has already passed the house of representatives and is on its way to the senate, where according to various news reports, it faces quite an uphill battle. Instead of writing to our members of the house, it would be more beneficial to write to the senators. Here is a link to find your senator...

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Thank you guys for suggesting this...this is definitely not a chance we should pass up. I think that everyone here whether they recieved their GC yet or not should send out a letter...there is definitely strength in numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
samoel said:
I think the bill passed the house We should write to the senators.
http://www.senate.gov/

I agree with the previous posts. This is an exceptionally good opportunity to help yourselves. The problem is that immigrant advocates will be busy trying to defeat the asylum restrictions embedded within the bill. Your own action or inaction will heavily influence the outcome of the provision relating to asylee adjustment. This is your challenge. The least you can do is to write a thoughful letter to your two senators AND members of the Senate leadership (Frist, Reid and their deputies). I also suggest writing the White House to thank President Bush for taking a leadership position on this issue. Continued White House support is going to be critical as the legislative process unfolds. A few persons are not going to have an impact, but if most of the asylees waiting for green cards are going to do this, it is going to be a factor.

hatari999 said:
One thing though. The provision has already passed the house of representatives and is on its way to the senate, where according to various news reports, it faces quite an uphill battle. Instead of writing to our members of the house, it would be more beneficial to write to the senators. Here is a link to find your senator...

Thank you guys for suggesting this...this is definitely not a chance we should pass up. I think that everyone here whether they recieved their GC yet or not should send out a letter...there is definitely strength in numbers.

You have words I will be involved. I received approval last year.

Over 110 people read this read and only 4 responses!!!!

:(

I guess people do not want their green cards after all.

There is no freeriding here. We have to act.

email

I emailed this information to my senators, and I keep hoping they will fight for us. I have a question. When I read this information on CNN or Yahoo I did not feel like something cahnges for us. if some is more aware of this technical expressions explain to us.

Gilbert said:
I agree with the previous posts. This is an exceptionally good opportunity to help yourselves. The problem is that immigrant advocates will be busy trying to defeat the asylum restrictions embedded within the bill. Your own action or inaction will heavily influence the outcome of the provision relating to asylee adjustment. This is your challenge. The least you can do is to write a thoughful letter to your two senators AND members of the Senate leadership (Frist, Reid and their deputies). I also suggest writing the White House to thank President Bush for taking a leadership position on this issue. Continued White House support is going to be critical as the legislative process unfolds. A few persons are not going to have an impact, but if most of the asylees waiting for green cards are going to do this, it is going to be a factor.

Agree with everything Gilbert said. This is the best opportunity we got Please write letters and have family and friends to do so. Pres Bush has a nice card from my Family in the mail tomorrow

thankful said:
Over 110 people read this read and only 4 responses!!!!

:(

I guess people do not want their green cards after all.

There is no freeriding here. We have to act.

I emailed my both senators too, but I don't think they'll read it...Probably their assistant will.As far as I understand the only barrier is Senate now.

Viva Bush

This is good.Each one needs to urge our senators .Remember fortune knocks at a man's door once in life.This is it :eek: :eek:

Dear ALL,

I have attached two letters: a letter for support to senators and senate leaders and a thank you letter to the President/Vice President.

Also, below are the links and contacts that you need.

I urge EVERYBODY to send the faxes/emails TODAY or TOMORROW. If we don't do this now, it will be too late.

Please post in this thread after you do so. I will compile a list of people and post it here so that we see what our "power" is.

We were complaining that we cannot make a difference in this country, now is the chance. Don't let it go! Act now!!!

L.

Find your senators:

Senate leadership:

Bill Frist
Majority Leader
Republican, Tennessee
Office of Senator Bill Frist
509 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-3344
202-228-1264 (fax)

Harry Reid
Minority Leader
Democrat, Nevada
528 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-3542 / Fax: 202-224-7327

Dick Durbin
Assistant Minority Leader
(Democratic Whip)
Democrat, Illinois
332 Dirksen Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
(202) 224-2152
(202) 228-0400 - fax

Mitch McConnell
Assistant Majority Leader
(Republican Whip)
Republican, Kentucky
361-A Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2541
Fax: (202) 224-2499

Ted Stevens
President Pro Tempore
Republican, Alaska
522 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
(202) 224-3004
(202) 224-2354 FAX

White house/the President:

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
FAX: 202-456-2461
President George W. Bush: president@whitehouse.gov
Vice President Richard Cheney: vice.president@whitehouse.gov

Use jBlast for instant faxing

You can send the same fax to more than one person with one click.
First 10 faxes free (click on "send test faxes" after you register and login)

http://jblast.j2.com/

Good Job Lusiks

lusiks said:
Dear ALL,

I have attached two letters: a letter for support to senators and senate leaders and a thank you letter to the President/Vice President.

Also, below are the links and contacts that you need.

I urge EVERYBODY to send the faxes/emails TODAY or TOMORROW. If we don't do this now, it will be too late.

Please post in this thread after you do so. I will compile a list of people and post it here so that we see what our "power" is.

We were complaining that we cannot make a difference in this country, now is the chance. Don't let it go! Act now!!!

L.

Find your senators:

http://www.senate.gov/general/conta...enators_cfm.cfm

Senate leadership:

Bill Frist
Majority Leader
Republican, Tennessee
Office of Senator Bill Frist
509 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-3344
202-228-1264 (fax)

Harry Reid
Minority Leader
Democrat, Nevada
528 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-3542 / Fax: 202-224-7327

Dick Durbin
Assistant Minority Leader
(Democratic Whip)
Democrat, Illinois
332 Dirksen Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
(202) 224-2152
(202) 228-0400 - fax

Mitch McConnell
Assistant Majority Leader
(Republican Whip)
Republican, Kentucky
361-A Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2541
Fax: (202) 224-2499

Ted Stevens
President Pro Tempore
Republican, Alaska
522 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
(202) 224-3004
(202) 224-2354 FAX

White house/the President:

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
FAX: 202-456-2461
President George W. Bush: president@whitehouse.gov
Vice President Richard Cheney: vice.president@whitehouse.gov

Faxes sent via jBlast:

2/10/05 6:10:55 PM Successful Mitch McConnell 1--202224-2499
2/10/05 6:07:51 PM Successful Barbara Boxer 1--4159566701
2/10/05 6:05:17 PM Successful Ted Stevens 1--2022242354
2/10/05 6:04:56 PM Successful Bill Frist 1--202-2281264
2/10/05 6:00:40 PM Successful President George W. Bush 1-202-562461
2/10/05 5:57:51 PM Successful Dick Durbin 1--202228-0400
2/10/05 5:57:44 PM Successful Harry Reid 1--202224-7327

Asylees Who Act - Power by numbers!!!

1. freedoms12 (e-mail)
2. samoel (card mailed)
3. Minsk (e-mail)
4. lusiks (fax)
5. ukulele (fax)
6. nofreedom (fax)
7. asluser (e-mail)

Power by numbers!!!

I've faxed to my senates, the senate leaders and the President. I urge everyone else to please, please, please join us. It'll take less than 15 MINUTES to email/fax, which is a nothing compared to the number of YEARS we've been waiting.

No more complaining! Let's give this our very best shot!!!