• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The truth

ShaheenC

Hi there,
I am a DV 2010 winner. But unfortunately my marital status was written as unmarried in the DV application form thus I in in a big confusion weather to declare my present status (Maried, 2 daughters one is 7.5 years and the other is 2.5 years). I am married for 11 years. I dont want to hide anything to the VISA issuing authority. Please suggest me how should I proceed??? I am 38 years of age. Please help me by sharing your experience.

Take Care

Shaheen C

Hi there,
I am a DV 2010 winner. But unfortunately my marital status was written as unmarried in the DV application form thus I in in a big confusion weather to declare my present status (Maried, 2 daughters one is 7.5 years and the other is 2.5 years). I am married for 11 years. I dont want to hide anything to the VISA issuing authority. Please suggest me how should I proceed??? I am 38 years of age. Please help me by sharing your experience.

Take Care

Shaheen C

By declaring your family to KCC or the visa issuing authority, it means you provided false information when completing the online application. This amounts to total rejection should any of the authorities are made aware of it.

As it stands now, if you are serious to migrate, then just keep quiet about it for the mean time. Get your visa and GC, after 5 years in the U.S., you may be in a better position to declare them and sponsor them to join you provided you managed to get your citizenship.

I hope those already in the U.S. can elaborate more on this issue.

I would be honest about it. If they find out in 5 yrs you are married for 16 yrs they might start to ask questions if your marriage has been legal and why you didn't disclose it when you won the lotery.

Mistakes can be made and fixed. My friends birth yr was filled out wrong online and she wasn't aware of it and in all the previous yrs she did fill it out correctly. KCC told her to resubmist the correct yr and she submitted proof. I have read of others who had an honest mistake and had no issues later on...Lying will cause issues.

Or did you want to get your GC just for your self and are you planning on leaving your family?

I would be honest about it. If they find out in 5 yrs you are married for 16 yrs they might start to ask questions if your marriage has been legal and why you didn't disclose it when you won the lotery.

Mistakes can be made and fixed. My friends birth yr was filled out wrong online and she wasn't aware of it and in all the previous yrs she did fill it out correctly. KCC told her to resubmist the correct yr and she submitted proof. I have read of others who had an honest mistake and had no issues later on...Lying will cause issues.

Or did you want to get your GC just for your self and are you planning on leaving your family?

bentlebee, this is one issue that the U.S. Embassies around the world always takes it seriously. There are numerous instances where such revelations have resulted in denial. I'm saying this from past information I have had. The whole point is providing false information to KCC. There are two choice to make here; either declare it and get refusal or keep mute and get the GC. I can put my thousand pounds on this, that once declared, there is bound to be rejection at the end of the process.

We must keep in mind that this is not an issue of 'new marriage' or 'new addition to the family'. This marriage has been in existence for several years with children, so why the omission in the original dv application? This is not a simple omission, but a whole family. Did he not ticked 'No' to the question of SPOUSE? I've not known anyone who added an existing family and got the visa. You can check wherever you want and you may not get a single case where the applicant was successful.

That brings the question of 'why continuing the visa process at all'.

I understand what you are saying and agree with you..."why would you go any further"...you can't just have made an innocent mistake if there are even kids involved.

What I meant is if you get your GC and 5 yrs later they pick up your file and see hwat age your kids are andhow long you are married you might get a nasty surprise. A while ago a lawyer i know told my friend who won this year to fill out the parents name clearly because in 5 yrs when you want to become a citizen and apply for a GC for them, they will get your old file and check if the names are the same as in the passports, etc....
So my guess is that this NL winner is in trouble any way you look at it and being honest might be his only way to go and hopefully some one will understand although the chances are very limited.

By declaring your family to KCC or the visa issuing authority, it means you provided false information when completing the online application. This amounts to total rejection should any of the authorities are made aware of it.

As it stands now, if you are serious to migrate, then just keep quiet about it for the mean time. Get your visa and GC, after 5 years in the U.S., you may be in a better position to declare them and sponsor them to join you provided you managed to get your citizenship.

I hope those already in the U.S. can elaborate more on this issue.

Seriously? You are actually recommending fraud to this person?

bentlebee, this is one issue that the U.S. Embassies around the world always takes it seriously. There are numerous instances where such revelations have resulted in denial. I'm saying this from past information I have had. The whole point is providing false information to KCC. There are two choice to make here; either declare it and get refusal or keep mute and get the GC. I can put my thousand pounds on this, that once declared, there is bound to be rejection at the end of the process.

We must keep in mind that this is not an issue of 'new marriage' or 'new addition to the family'. This marriage has been in existence for several years with children, so why the omission in the original dv application? This is not a simple omission, but a whole family. Did he not ticked 'No' to the question of SPOUSE? I've not known anyone who added an existing family and got the visa. You can check wherever you want and you may not get a single case where the applicant was successful.

That brings the question of 'why continuing the visa process at all'.

It would be helpful if you could post a link to other threads on the forum where people have been refused on this basis. I don't think I've ever seen quite this situation before. Plenty of us have made mistakes on our forms and had them fixed without any problems. I just can't remember seeing any about getting marriage status wrong.

I think if they are not going to accept a correction now, then why would they accept one in 5 years time when the person tries to sponsor their family? That's assuming that somebody is willing to live away from their family for 5 years in another country in the first place.

I say, deal with it now. I also think that the consequences may depend on where the omission has been made. I suspect that putting the wrong marital status on the original electronic entry is less serious than putting the wrong marital status on the DS-230 form. It's not clear from the original post which application they put the wrong info on, but either way - unless they want to separate from their family, I don't see that they have much choice but to correct the omission.

I have been thinking about what the OP wrote, but even if you "forget" to fill out that you are married...later on there is a spot to fill out kids and a husband or wife....so it must have been on purpose...JMO.

That was a really big mistake. The embassy are very crazy about knowing the marital status and the number of children u have. I am married and had successful interview for DV Visa. The embassy lady befre she issued me the visa called me at least 3 times asking me if I have any choldren even though I said already no in the interview and in the application.

I have been thinking about what the OP wrote, but even if you "forget" to fill out that you are married...later on there is a spot to fill out kids and a husband or wife....so it must have been on purpose...JMO.

I think if it was on the DS-230 form, then you are definitely right. I don't see how anybody could have accidently left out their spouse and children. But I just can't remember what we had to put on the original electronic entry (it feels like a very long time ago). If it was just a married/unmarried option then I would think that they might forgive the mistake, but if it also asked for the names of the spouse and children, then that would be much harder to explain why it wasn't filled in correctly.

^ Ah, there we go.

It's going to be pretty hard to justify, no matter which application form the original poster was referring to then. I thought they might have been able to explain a simple married/unmarried option getting selected incorrectly on the electronic entry, but I don't see how anybody could explain why the names were not included.

It's going to be pretty hard to justify, no matter which application form the original poster was referring to then. I thought they might have been able to explain a simple married/unmarried option getting selected incorrectly on the electronic entry, but I don't see how anybody could explain why the names were not included.

It is always important to provide the true information on any visa application. Failure on the applicant to provide such information could result in a permanent bar to admissibility for fraud or misrepresentation.

All dv applicants must include their spouses and children on the initial entry. Applicants are responsible for all information entered under their name.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200711020778.html

To submit entry to the DV-2010 Green Card Lottery, the following information about you and your family members was required:

* Your full legal name
* Your gender (Male or Female)
* Your place of birth (City/Town; Province/State; Country of Birth)
* Your date of birth (Day/Month/Year)
* You country of eligibility, IF different from the country of birth (this may be required for some people)
* Your Education and Work Experience. Are you a high school graduate: Yes or No
* Your email address
* Your marital status (Single/Divorced/Separated/Married)
* Your Mailing or Home address: Number and Street Name; City/Town; Province/State; ZIP code or Postal code; Country (please make sure that mail from the USA is deliverable at this address)
* Your Telephone number (optional)
* Your spouse's information (if you are legally married): Wife's or Husband's Name (first/middle/last); Place of birth (town/province/country); Date of birth (day/month/year)
* Your spouse's Mailing address: Number and Street Name; Town; Province/State; Zip or Postal code; Country; Telephone Number and Fax number
* Your spouse's Education and Work Experience. High school graduate: Yes or No
* If you have unmarried children under 21, you must include your child's information: Name (First/Middle/Last); Place of birth (Town/Province/Country); Date of birth (Day/Month/Year)
* Any additional information you want us to know
* Photographs of your spouse (wife or husband) and all children under 21 years of age.

How could someone forget to provide information for all the bolded parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
* Your spouse's Mailing address: Number and Street Name; Town; Province/State; Zip or Postal code; Country; Telephone Number and Fax number

No need to include this information in the lottery entry.

Originally Posted by ammeck09 View Post
No need to include this information in the lottery entry.

The first part is needed, it's the second part which I can't recalled.

MarcNZ wrote
It would be helpful if you could post a link to other threads on the forum where people have been refused on this basis. I don't think I've ever seen quite this situation before. Plenty of us have made mistakes on our forms and had them fixed without any problems. I just can't remember seeing any about getting marriage status wrong.

According to the dv lottery instruction, section 15 explicitly state this:
15. SPOUSE INFORMATION – Name, Date of Birth, Gender, City/Town of Birth, Country of Birth, and Photograph. Failure to list your spouse will result in disqualification of the principal applicant and refusal of all visas in the case at the time of the visa interview.

Section 14 also talks about the consequences of failing to include your children.
Failure to list all children who are eligible will result in disqualification of the principal applicant and refusal of all visas in the case at the time of the visa interview.
http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/T1026V-DV-2010bulletin(3).pdf

Check also section 11 of http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/T1026V-DV-2010bulletin(3).pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep, I think you found the key passage there.

if you include an eligible dependent on your visa application forms that you failed to include on your original entry, your case will be disqualified.

It looks like they have set it out in black and white. I don't see any way for the original poster to resolve this. If the spouse/children were not on the original electronic entry - then it's all over.

Lie about the application form is very seriously banned you forever. You will be done background check. If you go for the final interview, you will be absolutely rejected without getting your application fee back.

How come you hide up the truth at the very beginning?
If I were you, I would not further proceed this year's DV and then apply again in the coming years. It is not wise to lie as you will risk disqualification and may be even got black-listed?

I guess the OP was thinking about separation with his family otherwise I can't understand how you can leave out a wife and children. It wasn't just filling out married/un married....kids/no kids....there was a special part for filling out all additional family members...it isn't something you just can't have missed by accident.

A type error is something different than leaving out 3 names, birth dates, etc...

I would also say "forget about it!", you will not be eligible and it was clearly stated on the info, just as people know that if you don't have a High School diploma or a job description in the required list...you won't be eligible.
If you can't pay the fees...not eligible!
If you have a certain disease listed by USCIS...not eligible!
Lying...not eligible if you get caught!