The term: CERTIFIED COPY. What exactly? ASAP please

gabebalazs

Registered Users (C)
I've just received my interview letter. I have 5 weeks until the interview.
The notice obviously has a checklist to assist in what documents my wife and I will have to bring to the interview.

The term: Certified Copy, what exactly do they mean? Does it mean that I have to contact the court back in Hungary where we got married and ask for an extra official (sealed?) certified copy of our Marriage Certificate? Or can I copy the original MC that have here and have it certified some way?

Same question with my wife's divorce document. The divorce of her previous marriage was done in Hungary. What she has here though is a scanned photocopy of the original decree.

Like I said we do have most of the originals (except maybe one document). Now, if we bring these originals to the interview does the officer just want to see them and acknowledge them or does immigration intend to keep any of these and that's why they ask for a CERTIFIED copy?

Am I better off contacting immigration or does anyone know the answer?

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The notice obviously has a checklist to assist in what documents my wife and I will have to bring to the interview.

The term: Certified Copy, what exactly do they mean? Does it mean that I have to contact the court back in Hungary where we got married and ask for an extra official (sealed?) certified copy of our Marriage Certificate? Or can I copy the original MC that have here and have it certified some way?

Same question with my wife's divorce document. The divorce of her previous marriage was done in Hungary. What she has here though is a scanned photocopy of the original decree.

Like I said we do have most of the originals (except maybe one document). Now, if we bring these originals to the interview does the officer just want to see them and acknowledge them or does immigration intend to keep any of these and that's why they ask for a CERTIFIED copy?

thank you

If you have the originals..just bring the originals and ask them to return them to you after the interview. If the originals are not in english, make sure you translate them. Photocopy of the originals will not work. If you don't have the originals, then you have to get a certified copy from Hungary authorities. Maybe the Hungary embassy can help?

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought.
I'll just tell my mom (who lives in Hungary) to get us a certified copy of what we don't have the original for.

thank you

Notarized Photocopies do work. That's all we used and had no issues at all. I NEVER give originals.

Take your originals and copies

thank you

Hi

Take your originals and copies that should work. I did not get anything certified. If you have the originals with you the officer can verify if the copy is good enough. He would give you back the original and keep the copy if he wants

Thanks

I am not a lawer, so its just an advice......

thank you, that's what I'm expecting too. The couple original docs we were missing are on their way from Hungary already :)

wow, getting nervous, or I should say excited and it's still a month away :)