The problem PR card !

victory@US

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My brother landed 17th of this month to canada from India. He was planning to come to US to visit us. But at the last moment he was told by the agency that he should not travel without the PR card.

I know few things about the US immigration, I am totally novice about the canadian matters.

I have gone through multiple threads on this wonderfull forum. But still I have some questions. Most of the threads are of people travelling to and from US.

1) Is it safe for him to travel without a PR card. would he have problem returning back to Canad after 15 days.

2) How do I make sure that his PR card form has been filled by the customs officer when he entered canada ?

3) I have gathered info that it takes 4 weeks to get the PR card to the canada address. Is is true ?

4) Is it safe to think that his form has been filled and before he
leaves back to canada get the PR card overnighted from his address in canada to US so he can travell without any complications. This will only work if I hypothetically think that he would surely get PR card within that time frame and they have started issuing PR card automatically.

5) What problem should he foresee ? If he decide to come in this scenario.

We were meeting after long time, hope this materializes.
I would really appreciate help from you experts on this matters:confused:

If your brother just became PR of Canada and has no US Visa he will not allowed to enter US with PR or without PR Card .

If he is trying to come to US becasue he is Canada PR then 99.99% INS will not allow him to enter US becase he should have job in Canada and Estalibish ties to Canada that he lives in Canada, Landing in Canada and after 15-20 days trying to Enter US from Canada will not be allowed even with Canada PR card.

Thanks for the reply,

As I have mentioned he has already landed in canada and has a address there. He is going to start looking for job from now on.

Would that fullfill one of s the criterias ?

He has no intention to immigrate to US.

I want him to visit US before starting his job as he may not get a weeks leave once he start working.

Is this more a problem entering US or is it more problem going back to Canada. He is travelling by Grey hound Bus. Let us say if by chance makes it to US and then he gets PR card from his present address. Would this arrangement not work.

As I have mentioned he has already landed in canada and has a address there. He is going to start looking for job from now on.
Only Address is not TIES with Canada, does his wife staying in Canada? His child Studying in Canada? job in Canada? any runining buisness in Canada? credit Cards of Canada , SIN Card, Health Card, Driving licence of Canada, Apartment lease on his name? attending any University, college in Canada?

He has no intention to immigrate to US.
That is what YOU say INS is not going to ask YOU
INS will decide about the Intention, mostly who came to US on B1/B2 changed to H1b latter. INS is very strict now, they will not allow him 99.99% to visit US just becase he got Canada PR just 15-20 days back.

I want him to visit US before starting his job as he may not get a weeks leave once he start working.
***Better you should visit him if you have valid US Visa and are in US on Valid status, Jobs in Canada are not waiting for him, he is not going to get any job in 3-4 months as Canada has no jobs and even for a labor job he has to wait, he may have to find some labor job throug networking to survive, first he should apply for SIN card and only then he can work in Canada.

Is this more a problem entering US or is it more problem going back to Canada.
** More Problem Entering US

He is travelling by Grey hound Bus.
*** let him travel by Grey hound but he has to face INS, Train is much better

Let us say if by chance makes it to US and then he gets PR card from his present address. Would this arrangement not work.

**If he gets in to US then going to Canada is not a problem, if he gets his PR card at Canada address that Card can be sent to US, if no card then he can enter by friend car but he can not take BUS, TAXI, Train, Air ( if his LP is stamped not for travel), some one can leave him at US side of the border, let him cross the border and once he is in Canada he can get bus, taxi, Train or Air. I do not know where he is trying to come in US.

PR card

That is an excellent reply, this certainly puts to rest all the queries.

You are right he has just landed but not developed any ties yet.

Would you think he should try coming by train. and if it is not possible to cross the border the worse could happen is, he should be ready to return to toronto. If you think it is 50 - 50 chances i will still ask him take the risk. ( or as you said if it is same percentage of 99% even for the train, then it is worthless) His landing papers say not valid for travel. He would be coming to Chicago. I dont know if there is any train service available, I will ask him to enquire.

***Better you should visit him if you have valid US Visa and are in US on Valid status, Jobs in Canada are not waiting for him, he is not going to get any job in 3-4 months as Canada has no jobs and even for a labor job he has to wait, he may have to find some labor job throug networking to survive, first he should apply for SIN card and only then he can work in Canada.

I have green card, I would love to visit him but I would not be getting any vacation any time soon

Do you have any suggestion for the job hunt. He is a computer engineer. ( the monster .com and hotjobs does not seem to work that effectively).

Thanks once again, for your expert opinion. Avatarji !

Last edited by a moderator:
1. If he wishes he can try, I am not INS officer or working for INS so I can not reply your few questions, Once he tries to enter US and if he is refused then INS will put his information in INS record and that will show that he tried to enter US, bad for future visits to US.. let him wait for 6 months then he should try to Visit you, times are bad.... Why are you trying to put him in problems?
2 I do not know about Train to Chicago and leave this train matter his LP is stamped " Not for travel"

3. IT in Toronto is dead, many who worked in US for 4-5 years and are now landed in Toronto are with out the jobs in IT, it is very difficult to find job in It in Toronto at this time. All these job sites will not work, better he should go to placement agencies, meet them, talk to them if they have time.
Tell him try to find any kind of job to survive and at the same time he can search the job. If he can teach computers he should pick up the Free Indian News papers from Indian stores and he can visit Computer Institutes for the job if he can teach.

IT job is very difficult in Toronto at this time.

You have GC, you can go to Toronto on Friday evening and can be with him for 2 days if you realy want to meet him.

Good Luck!!

I think I will wait for his PR card to come which I am expecting it to happen in 2 weeks. Or it does not come by early then I will make the visit.

He has good teaching experience in computer, I will ask him to give emphasis to that field.

Thank you very much for your insight.

I really appreciate the time and patience of Avtaar in helping ppl. You seem to be well knowledged about canadian immigration. It sure helps us all in a big way.

Thanks,