• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The land of opportunity

scooby-doo

Registered Users (C)
Hello guys,

just wanted to take a few minutes to share what I have been noticing in the past year or so here in the US. I'm not trying to discorage anyone from coming to the US because personally I love the US but be carefull, don't arrive in the US thinking that your life will be easy because those days are over.

As you well know the US is in the middle of a recession. Most people might argue that that is not true but having been in the US for 10 years now I can tell you that this is the worst it has ever been.

Gas is well over $4.00/gallon in most states, good paying jobs are getting harder to find, the cost of food keeps going up every day, cost of utilities (gas and electric for your house) and helth care are also at an all time high.

Lets not forget that most people who come to the US every once in a while might need to go back home and flying is gettimng more and more expensive. I have recently purchased 4 tickets to fly back to EUROPE this summer and they were about $1,600 each.

As far as college goes, getting student loans is also getting harder so please don't bank on that if you plan to enroll in school once you arrive in the US.

I'm not trying to scare people away, I just want warn those who don't live in the US but will soon be moving here with their new green card.

Hello guys,

just wanted to take a few minutes to share what I have been noticing in the past year or so here in the US. I'm not trying to discorage anyone from coming to the US because personally I love the US but be carefull, don't arrive in the US thinking that your life will be easy because those days are over.

As you well know the US is in the middle of a recession. Most people might argue that that is not true but having been in the US for 10 years now I can tell you that this is the worst it has ever been.

Gas is well over $4.00/gallon in most states, good paying jobs are getting harder to find, the cost of food keeps going up every day, cost of utilities (gas and electric for your house) and helth care are also at an all time high.

Lets not forget that most people who come to the US every once in a while might need to go back home and flying is gettimng more and more expensive. I have recently purchased 4 tickets to fly back to EUROPE this summer and they were about $1,600 each.

As far as college goes, getting student loans is also getting harder so please don't bank on that if you plan to enroll in school once you arrive in the US.

I'm not trying to scare people away, I just want warn those who don't live in the US but will soon be moving here with their new green card.

Scooby-doo, I BEG TO DIFFER!! The US economy is undergoing had times now; but the doom-sayers were wrong. The economy has slowed down, but not in a recession in the right sense of the word, or even technically. With the right qualifications and attitude, you can make it! With gas prices maybe I can give you some info: In Norway, gas is currently selling at 11USD A GALLON, and we're still driving.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Well, we are not in recession defined by economics(2 successive quarters with neg growth), but why would we care such wordings ? Economy is slow and that is enough to get people in trouble.
Having said that, I don't think current economy is the worst last 10 years. 2002 - 2004 was a lot worse. At this moment, I don't know many people out of jobs, but there are a lot of joblesses I knew 4, 5 years ago.
Negative side comparing to the last recession is that gas price is too high and it could delay the recovery.

Remember the US does not have well built public transportation system like Europe and Asia and every single person has to drive, so that just comparing gas prices from different country does not provide a good picture on a degree of impact on individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true that the US economy is slowing down and it is true that the US economy is undegoing a mild recession. A recession that mostly will impact business owners and manufacturers. The US consumers will also feel the impact but not much.

Like most economic recession, it is depends on what level of income you are currently on. If you're living on a medium to low income, you probably going to feel the impact more than if you're living on a medium to high income. It is all about changing lifestyle to adapt to the new economic situation, which most American should do by now, but for some, it it's really hard thing to do. When you lived in the U.S long enough, you'll understand how many things that Americans take for granted. I have several friends who felt the impact but having a hard time to make the adjustment because of the lifestyle that they used to. If you noticed, one of the reason why this recession happened is because Americans spent more that what they earned. Americans would put everything on credit and didn't even think about how to pay it.

The increase in gas price in the US does not just impact economicaly but also psychologicaly . The US consumers are not used to paying gas more than $3 / gallon. The price increase has created fear because most American felt that they wouldn't survive with the price increase. I'm sure with given time, Americans will realize that they have to change their way of life and adjust with the price increase, like with the rest of the world.

For those who are thinking to migrate to the US. Don't be affraid, just think ahead and know how to budget your life. Once you arrived in the US, work hard, start saving and investing, limit yourself on credit, take all the opportunites that the country can give you, and you'll soon find out that the US is truly the Land of Opportunity. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
correction...

...Remember the US does not have well built public transportation system like Europe and Asia and every single person has to drive...

Do not paint the entire US with the same brush. I have been to Atlanta (South East), Seattle (North West) and Boston (North East) parts of the country, and I can tell you, it depends on where u decide to live.

Atlanta = Bad-to-Average public transit. City is poorly planned and could benefit from a major public transit overhaul

Seattle = Excellent, on-schedule, 24hr public transit. U do not NEED to have a car.

Boston = Excellent, reliable subway system & public transit.

Remember, US is larger than a whole bunch of countries in EU, therefore distances between major cities is further.

Do not paint the entire US with the same brush. I have been to Atlanta (South East), Seattle (North West) and Boston (North East) parts of the country, and I can tell you, it depends on where u decide to live.

I agree. In some cities in the US, driving or having a car is almost a necessities, but in some cities, driving or having a car is not a good idea. For example: New York City. Most people who lives or work in New York City (Manhattan) doesn't have a car. You won't be able to get a parking and the traffic is just a nightmare to drive on. Even if you live in suburban New York City like Queens, Bronx, Broklyn, they have a great subway connections to Manhattan. Same thing with most big cities in the U.S like Chicago, Washington D.C. etc.

But, if you live in smaller cities or town or cities. Having a car might be a must because of the distance between places and the lack of public transportation.

Hello guys,

this opinion is subjective... i have a couple of friends in the US who don't even know about the current credit crunch.This is not because they are not abreast with the current economic trends but the fact is that they don't LIVE excessively on credit.It's a matter of being able to adjust a little bit to the turbulent times which will always not be forever.The US is still the land of opportunities but that opportunity has to be handled wisely.Thanks for your effort in forewarning prospective immigrants anyway.

I think it’s important to point out that this is a global downturn, gas prices in the UK and Ireland are selling at $10 / $9 respectively. I agree that things are not great in the US but they are not great every where. Even in Ireland we are being warned of tough times to come blah blah blah…..
The main point is that people should not live on credit, it should be used responsibly for day to day living. If you owe more (with exception to possibly a mortgage / car loan ) then you are earning then you need to get back in the black. This is true weather you are in US – Europe or anywhere for that matter.

While jobs may be a little tougher to come by in the US, there big draw for me is access to so many different companies and career paths compared to where I live in Ireland. Even a quick search in any of the major east cost cities on monster throws up 500+ jobs in my field. (IT).

I have plenty saved and being an Irish/European I am fully aware of the pitfalls of American style living on credit. In fact it has been going on here in Ireland too, people cashing in equity on their houses to go on holiday and buy new cars! Now people are losing their jobs and they cant pay back there increased mortgages, its total madness.

I can assure you that while the US has its problems it is by no means alone at the moment.

I have to echo the other sentiments.

For example, the costs of living here in Australia are ridiculous at the moment. And to hear people in the US talk about food prices and gas prices rising is amazing - when it is still so cheap in comparison. Living costs here in Melbourne for renting and/or buying are so out of reach for a single person it is absolutely crazy to be paying what is now expected for what you get here.

In my profession, wages and job prospects are actually better in the US than here. Saying that, I am leaving a very comfortable job but I'm up for the challenge.

And so many people talk about the cost of living in NY but by moving there (I love the place) I am skipping the whole cost of buying and running a car and for the extra rent it is worth it IMO - especially as a place to 'start out'. I am giving NY a year and if it doesn't work out, will try somewhere else.

I have also been saving my butt off for the past year to ensure I have enough $$ as a backup, so for example if I don't find a job quickly, I can still survive and explore the country. I think moving to the US in no different to moving anywhere else- you just don't do it on a whim with no other back up plan. I have no friends or family in the US and am a girl doing this on my own so I've had to ensure I have backup and I've been for the most part, overtly cautious. I refuse to rely on credit and like I do here, live within my means. I don't drink or smoke so that saves $$ automatically! ;) ;) I think if you take those rules to WHATEVER country you live, you will survive times like this, that are happening everywhere.

Atlanta = Bad-to-Average public transit. City is poorly planned and could benefit from a major public transit overhaul

bad-to-average? I beg to differ! It's awful! Marta and Gwinnett Co transit are always late, which makes you miss a connection, and a 10-mile trip that would take 30 minutes in a car in somewhat average traffic becomes 3 hours long!!!!

bad-to-average? I beg to differ! It's awful! Marta and Gwinnett Co transit are always late, which makes you miss a connection, and a 10-mile trip that would take 30 minutes in a car in somewhat average traffic becomes 3 hours long!!!!

I stand corrected :D

I have actually never taken a public transit ride in my 4 yrs of living in Atlanta, but based on other peoples opinion, and observing route designs when driving around, my assessment was as stated.

Keep in mind I started with "Bad"...LOL! ;)