TD status getting a SSN?

belld001

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I am a TN holder working in New York and my wife just got her TD status. I wanted her to get a Social Security Card so I can file her with my income tax return and get her a driver's license; I was also sending her to a school, and I think that I need SSN to do all of these...

On the SSN application form it said that for a person without working permit to get a SSN, he or she will have to submit a document from the institution proving that they require SSN to approve what he or she was applying for. In my wife's case, I guess that means that she will need a letter from DMV and IRS stating that they need SS office to issue SSN. In my view, this most likly won't happen...I can't imagine that DMV or IRS will issue a letter like this...

Does any one have experience with this? Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thank you.

Tax No

hI

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, Instead of SSN , you have to apply for a TAX number its a same 9 digit number starting with 9.

Please apply to IRS for that, by sending copies of your wife driving liscence, and copy of i-94 , visa etc etc, and also down load a form there web site..

unsane said:
My wife is on TD though she did receive a SSN, did they mess up?

no. though generally SSN are only given to people with work authorization. this was not always the case. in 2000 i got a SSN while on a student visa for example.

muhamm5 said:
hI

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, Instead of SSN , you have to apply for a TAX number its a same 9 digit number starting with 9.

Please apply to IRS for that, by sending copies of your wife driving liscence, and copy of i-94 , visa etc etc, and also down load a form there web site..

Thank you for your replies. I visited the IRS website and downloaded a W-7 application form for the ITIN.

Am I reading the instructions right? My wife would have to first complete her 2006 tax return form then submit it together with the W-7? My wife and I file one tax return...does this mean that we should submit ours together?

Does any one have experience with this? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

What I did in that case last year that I filled the income tax and send the ITIN form for my wife with it. and later I received the letter which was containing the ITIN #. and then I filled the state tax.

its up to you that you send the ITIN application now or with you tax return.

My wife would have to first complete her 2006 tax return form then submit it together with the W-7? My wife and I file one tax return...does this mean that we should submit ours together?

-- Your wife, being on TD, most probably has no US income, since she is not allowed to work in the US. Therefore, you will file a joint tax return (married filing a joint return. In short, there will be no separate tax return for your wife). Then send that tax form along with the required form/paperwork that they ask for to get the ITIN.

Hi I am a TN holder, working in San Diego, I got my TN on Dec 15th, 2006. and for 2 weeks in 2006. I am planing to get married some time this year. Should i file ITIN form for my future spouse with my 2006 Tax return ? May be i am asking a wrong question.
My confusion is if i get married on Dec 15th,2007 and she get her TD by before the 2007 holidays. Can i still file my tax as married ? do she has to have the ITIN number before i file my 2007 tax. if so how can we get that if ITIN form required to first file that year tax return as asked by belled001.

Thing is I have two options either to get married in august 2007 or December 2007. Our preference is December but we also want to save on tax by filing married tax.

hafshik said:
I am planing to get married some time this year. Should i file ITIN form for my future spouse with my 2006 Tax return ?

Unless you were married on Deceber 31st, 2006 you cannot file as married and you have no basis to request an ITIN for her with your 2006 taxes.

My confusion is if i get married on Dec 15th,2007 and she get her TD by before the 2007 holidays. Can i still file my tax as married?

Yes, if you were married at 11:59pm on December 31st, 2007 you must file your 2007 as married.

do she has to have the ITIN number before i file my 2007 tax.

No, you request her ITIN with your 2007 return.

Thing is I have two options either to get married in august 2007 or December 2007. Our preference is December but we also want to save on tax by filing married tax.

Whether you get married on January 1st or December 31st makes no difference whatsoever, tax-wise.

Yes, if you were married at 11:59pm on December 31st, 2007 you must file your 2007 as married.

This rule apply, no matter where in the world i get married ? Will it effect on tax if she don't get her TD visa by December 31st, 2007.

thanks

hafshik said:
This rule apply, no matter where in the world i get married?

If the marriage is considered valid by the US government, then yes.

Will it effect on tax if she don't get her TD visa by December 31st, 2007.

Her immigration status and presence in the US is by and large separate from your tax status.

TheRealCanadian said:

Her immigration status and presence in the US is by and large separate from your tax status.
And for California Stat tax, the same rule apply too ?

Thanks

TheRealCanadian said:

Hello,

Thanks a lot for info,

I am filling up my W-4 form

I am confuse should I chose my Filling status as

Single or married because its says in a small note that

Note. If married, but legally separated, or spouse is a nonresident alien, check the “Single” box.

what should i do, as my wife either wont be in US at the end of the year or if we get married in August 2007 she be consider as Nonresident Alien because she wont full fill either GreenCard requirement nor 183 days presence requirment.

any suggestion I did read some thing on IRS site

Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident

"If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other spouse is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident. This includes situations in which one spouse is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the tax year, but a resident alien at the end of the year, and the other spouse is a nonresident alien at the end of the year.

If you make this choice, you and your spouse are treated for income tax purposes as residents for your entire tax year. Neither you nor your spouse can claim under any tax treaty not to be a U.S. resident. You are both taxed on worldwide income. You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice, but you and your spouse can file joint or separate returns in later years."

Does that mean I can file as Married filling jointly given that i am married before the Dec 31st, 2007 and

1) My wife is with me in us (but less then 183 days in 2007 tax year)
2) She is not in US at all.

your suggestion will be very helpful, as based on this we need to decide on our wedding date...

Thanks