TD status for spouse( with canadian PR status--not landed yet) in back home

uzairus39

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I got TN status, but my wife is at back home(Pakistan) and she got her canadian immigrant visa last week, so for TD status can I apply her TD visa from Pakistan/Islamabad? as she already have her canadian immigrant visa on her passport so there should be no harm to get the TD visa from Pakistan? can anyone guide me in this regard, or if anyone have done this before , pls help me.
Because I want my wife first come here in US and then later on , we will go to canada together for her canadian immigration? pls guide us

Last edited by a moderator:
As a pakistani she certainly can get TD visa from islamabad.

However, once a Cdn PR, she will also have no problem getting TD from US consulate in canada.

So, if she wants to come to US before getting Cdn PR, she will need to get TD in Pakistan, or have another means of entering US (ie. another current visa)

You can try is it from islamabad. However it is the safest to apply from Canada, and you will get your wife passport next days.

Visa officers in canada know TD catagory very well, while one in islamabad may not be aware of TD catagory. And whenever they are in doubt they just deny it. However this doesn't mean they will. There is no harm in trying from islamabad, just keep your backup option.

Note that the poster wishes to go to US first, before going to Canada for processing.

To do this she will need some form of visa from Islamabad. It might as well be TD.

Otherwise, she will need to go directly to Canada for processing.

There is no doubt however, that TD processing will be simpler in canada, once she has her Cdn PR.

I trust that when mushy stated " you will get your wife passport next days", that he meant, that his wife would have her Pakistani passport with TD visa stamped the next day.

I trust that Canada is not handing out passports to PRs just yet:D !!!

I would also advise the OP's wife to get her TD visa in Canada. Reason being that US consular officials in Islamabad may not be that versed in TNs/TDs.

Yes, my wife got her visa next day. We went to Halifax as Toronto has long waiting time.

All the best.

Clearly its easy to get it from Canada but also not too difficult to get from Islamabad, only you have to be well prepared, send her a notarized copy of your passport & I-94, your wedding pictures etc etc. They treat TD visa separately ,your wife will get interview date with two weeks.

Clearly its easy to get it from Canada but also not too difficult to get from Islamabad, only you have to be well prepared, send her a notarized copy of your passport & I-94, your wedding pictures etc etc. They treat TD visa separately ,your wife will get interview date with two weeks.

My point exactly: She does need to go to Islamabad for a Visa -- SOME visa -- to get into US.

Once you have to bother getting an appointment, and paperwork, etc, you might as well try for a TD rather than a B2.