TD For My Children_Passport About to Expire

LisaMarie

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My children's TD status and my TN will expire on July 4 2009.

However, their passports will also expire in September 2009.

I plan coming to Canadal around the end of June and apply for a 3 yr TN/TD.

Can I still go ahead and apply for the 3-yr TD even though the children's passport expires soon after?

Thanks _ Lisa

(Ideally, it would have been nice to renew the passports once we are in Canada, but i need to get signatures from an unwilling/uncooperative ex-spouse, hence I anticipate possible delays in renewing the passport before July 4).

I'm in a bit of a bind as per my post August 4/ 08 (husband and I flew back from Calgary and border official told us we had new TN/ TD for the upcoming year but when I got on the plane I noticed he actually didn't change the expiration date of last year's visas). I tried the deferred inspections office and they were no help.

Now, apparently, my employer can fill out forms and send them to Nebraska, but this will cost $300 for each of us (!) and the decision about the renewal can take a few months. Thus, I am considering flying up on the weekend to attempt to get the TN for myself again, this time properly. My husband would stay here in the U.S. as its cheaper etc.

What process would we have to follow to get his new TD/ TD renewal if I'm the only one that flies in? Is it the same, expensive, mail-in process or is there a simpler, cheaper way? Is there any chance that he would be denied his TD even if my TN is renewed? :)

Can I still go ahead and apply for the 3-yr TD even though the children's passport expires soon after?
Yes, you can.

(Ideally, it would have been nice to renew the passports once we are in Canada, but i need to get signatures from an unwilling/uncooperative ex-spouse, hence I anticipate possible delays in renewing the passport before July 4).
To renew your children's passports in Canada, your children will have to live in Canada. Why don't you get your TN/TD first, and then mail in the passport renewal documents after you and your children are back in US. BTW, I just renewed my Canadian passport last month and it took about 4 weeks from the day I mailed it out to the day I received it. I live in US on TN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can.

To renew your children's passports in Canada, your children will have to live in Canada. Why don't you get your TN/TD first, and then mail in the passport renewal documents after you and your children are back in US. BTW, I just renewed my Canadian passport last month and it took about 4 weeks from the day I mailed it out to the day I received it. I live in US on TN.

======

thanks very much. where did you take the canadian passport photographs. I live in Philadelphia area. thanks... LisaMarie

I'm unsure as to why super would say that you can only renew a passport in Canada if you live there. This is untrue. Many US residents renew their passports while visiting canada, in an little as 2 days.

======

thanks very much. where did you take the canadian passport photographs. I live in Philadelphia area. thanks... LisaMarie

I took them in the city where I live which is far away from Philadelphia. However, since you said you are going to visit Canada at the end of June, why don't you take your and kids' photos in Canada?

I'm unsure as to why super would say that you can only renew a passport in Canada if you live there. This is untrue. Many US residents renew their passports while visiting canada, in an little as 2 days.
To renew your Canadian passport, I believe you have to turn in your current passport. How do you re-enter US without a passport? Passport renewal usually takes several weeks so unless you can stay in Canada for that long, I don't think you can renew it in Canada.

To renew your Canadian passport, I believe you have to turn in your current passport. How do you re-enter US without a passport? Passport renewal usually takes several weeks so unless you can stay in Canada for that long, I don't think you can renew it in Canada.

1. You can use the urgent service (24 hours) - if they accept your reason for the urgency. That way you get your new passport to fly back to the US.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/service.aspx?lang=eng

2. I plan to apply for my passport in Vancouver by end of June, in person, since I will be visiting Vancouver for 3 days. Yes, I will have to submit my passport, but will use my green card to enter the US (YVR PFI). They mail your passport to your US address. You can use this option only if you have the green card.

Last edited by a moderator:
The poster is on TN so she obviously does not have a green card. As for the urgent service, it does not say how long you can get your passport on their web site. If the poster wants to spend the extra money, she can give it a try. However, mailing in her applications once she and her kids are settled in US is probably the most logic way I think.

The poster is on TN so she obviously does not have a green card.

-- I understand, this was only as a FYI.

As for the urgent service, it does not say how long you can get your passport on their web site.

-- In general, Processing time = the time to get the passport (24 hrs) - from my first hand experience in the past. This can be confirmed while applying for the passport.

As I and other have corrected you, PPs can be done overnight by paying the express service and by making sure your sponsoe/guarantor is available for contact.

You've learned something. You're welcome.